Our new cat doesn't want to leave our bedroom.

bloodnguts

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
So, me and my boyfriend picked up this beautiful Tabby female which we've so lovingly named Sandwich. She was a stray before we took her in but she's very friendly and we believe she had an owner at one point bcuz she listens well and is completely litter trained. We've had her for about a month now and she just won't leave our room. I've tried leaving the door open to see if she'll wonder out but nope. Both me and my boyfriend have carried her out into the living room and the most she's done is stand on the arm of the couch. Normally however, she'll just run right back in, if we close our bedroom door she'll stand in our hallway and meow until one of us opens the door. We have 2 other cats also and Sandwich is perfectly fine with them. Any ideas? (Feel free to ask questions too.)
image0-15.jpg
image0-16.jpg

fhicat

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Completely normal. She may just like to hang out in the bedroom. As long as she's eating and using the box normally, nothing to worry about. I work at a cat cafe, and it's not uncommon to have cats who refuse to leave the small "acclimation room" for a couple of months before finally venturing out into the much larger main space.

Even a bedroom seems small to us humans, to a cat it can be a big space. Some cats just take a longer time than others to be very familiar with the room before wanting to come out. It has to be completely on their terms and pace -- trying to force them out (unless there's imminent danger or necessity) usually stresses kitty out.

Maria Bayote

Mama of 4 Cats, 4 Dogs , 2 Budgies & 2 Humans
Top Cat
Purraise
Maybe she feels that the bedroom is the only safe place for her at the moment. I used to have a foster like that, also a tabby. Never ventured out of the bedroom and when accidentally she chased a ball or a toy out of the bedroom door, she would frantically run back in.

Just leave her be. She will venture out in her own time, at her own pace. She most probably just wants to assure herself that the whole place is safe for her, not only in the bedroom.

Thank you for taking her in. She is adorable.

rubysmama

Forum Helper
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hello and welcome to TCS. :wave2: Sandwich is beautiful. Thanks for giving her a home.

As the others have said, it's not unusual for a new cat to feel most comfortable in one particular room. And as long as she's eating and using the litter box ok, doesn't seem stressed, and is getting along with your other cats, and them her, I wouldn't worry. Just let her progress at her own speed. :catlove:

ArtNJ

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
That actually constitutes doing great. Adopting an adult stray when you have two other cats generally comes with some pretty significant challenges and can be very stressful for all. Here, it looks like the future is bright, and you just have to be patient.