Our Cat Attacks Us Every Day And We Don't Know What To Do :(

daveh

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hello,

Our cat, who for 90% of the day is a sweet little thing that we absolutely love has become a major problem in the house.

He attacks us almost every morning and night. I must express, this is not play fighting, he genuinely means it. I grew up with cats and I've never known anything like it. We come away with bleeding legs and arms (from both teeth and claws). He locks on and won't let go.

He's 4 and this has been going on for a long time, but we're expecting our first baby and are genuinely scared about what's going to happen. At the moment we can't leave our bedroom in the morning without getting fully dressed (he mainly seems to go for us when we have exposed legs or feet)...this isn't going to be a practical solution with a new baby.

I'm really struggling to explain how stressful it is every day...

Things we've tried:

Feliway - We use the plug in Feliway, hasn't seen any change in behaviour
Play sessions - I've been trying to play with him for at least 20 mins a day for a couple of months (using wand toys and laser pens). He loves it but I wonder if it actually makes him more angry, he also never seems to get worn out.
Time outs - When he attacks I've started putting him in a other room for around 10 minutes for hime to calm down. Often he will come out and attack me instantly so I put him back in again until he stops attacking.
Making him feel comfortable - Tried to give him his own areas to sleep / give him his own area in the living room with his own blanket on the sofa
A more interesting diet - Try and rotate brands. He stops eating food after he's had the same make more than a few times running, which often sets off an attack.

When he's not doing this he will come and sit on my lap and likes being around us...it's just these moments during the day he totally loses it.

I don't really know what else to do, he is completely ruling our lives, we're genuinely scared and end up making decisions around what our cat will let us do. With the baby on the way we just can't risk this anymore. :(

catsknowme

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
:alright: That is terrible! I had one cat who acted the same way and eventually develope feline hyperesthesia. For several years, though, she benefitted from venting her anger issues by attacking a stuffed toy - it was a pink flamingo. Whenever she had the flattened ears and dilated pupils, we presented her the toy and told her, " get your flamingo, get your flamingo!". My other cats were afraid of her when she would get like that - she would even go after my 21# Maine Coon and she was out for blood. There are medications that would help but I would consider rehoming - there are literally millions of cats who are going to be euthanised and many of them are perfect candidates to be the beloved family pet that your baby will enjoy, potentially all the way into her/his teen years.
You may find this useful:
Hyperesthesia Syndrome

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

daveh

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Thanks a lot for your thoughts and giving me the link to Hyperesthesia Syndrome. Some of this sounds quite familiar.

Re-homing would definitely be a last resort for us, we absolutely love the little guy...I'd also feel very guilty about passing this behaviour on to someone else without really understanding what's going on.

We have mentioned this to our vet before but it's really hard to get across that it's more than just some playful stalking. Will hopefully be able to go soon and explain it a bit better.

Cat_mediator

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Have you taken him to a vet to get checked out? Maybe he has some physical problems that lead him to behave such a way? If he doesn't have any sickness, it seems like he is trying to control you. Some cats are that way, but you have to show him that you are the boss, not him.

First of all, when do you feed him and how often? Do you free feed him by the way?
What time do you play with him with a wand toy? I need more details on your situation.

I think an Act of god would help in this situation. Giving him a time out won't be as effective as spray him with water or an air can when he attacks you.

You should take him to a vet first. A medical treatment + a full behavioral plan might be needed in your situation.

catsknowme

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Thank you for the update - at first, it can be difficult to get the vet to realize that the situation is more than a cat simply being a "sassy pants". I believe this is due to many cat guardians neglecting the necessity of play and mental stimulation.
Here is a great article from Cornell U (I really like Tufts and Cornell cat programs), I hope it helps:Feline Aggression

RufusGizmo

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
That's awful. My cat has that feline hyperesthesia, and we have him on Buspirone. Only has been a month on it now, so i'm not sure if its working yet. he does not randomly attack, but chases and bites his tail. he has attacked me twice when I inadvertently stepped on his brother's tail, and it is horrible. He somewhat still scares me as he is very aggressive, and I cannot even imagine the fear you live in cause that hurts. I would think trying some meds. supposedly the one my cat is taking does not take effect until four or five weeks so i'm not sure If that one actually works yet.

artaq

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
also consider Prozac. idc how much we "love" our pets, a biting animal should NOT be acceptable in any household...just as humans abusing animals is unacceptable.

danteshuman

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I like the flamingo idea :)
I would have a partner videotape the attack & before an attack if you can for your vet to see. I would also tell my vet _EVERYTHING_ I have tried over the last 4 years. Then say basically "Look this is not normal! Please medicate the cat for his sake & ours!" A common sign of hyperesthesia is back rippling before the crazy. I don't know enough to say hyper versus hyperesthesia but hopefully with a video(s) your vet can tell you.
Feline Hyperesthesia Syndrome — What Is It and How Do You Treat It? | Catster
Hyperesthesia Syndrome