Otter In Mourning

fromthevalley

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Before I do the full post I wanted to say two things:

1) I cannot to any major construction on the house

2) For those who know my cats, Kaylee unfortunately passed away from complication from HCM.

On July 21st, Kaylee unexpectucally passed away from complications from HCM. Otter was her sister and dear friend. Since then, Otter has been slightly more aggressive towards the other cats (nothing major fight-worthy, but like she used to play with Athena now it’s completely cold shoulder), and has been peeing infront of the hallway closet.

The second part is my main focus. I’ve watched days worth of camera footage. I know she only does it once, maybe twice a week, and she did stop for a few weeks before resuming again. Her bathroom and eating habits are normal. Doctor ruled out UTI. I know I have managed to clean the urine smell away because Athena has a habit of spraying in places where the smells urine if it’s not in a litter box. Like I said: days worth of video footage.

I do not want to do the feliway. One; because it has not worked for me in the past and two; I tried it in this house and two caught on fire. I cannot do any major electrical rehaul on this place because it is not mine and do not see the point because they had redone everything before my parents moved in two years ago. (I also had two electricians come out and they said nothing was wrong)

I understand cats can mourn, I have seen it enough, but the peeing thing is new to me. My doctor and I are monitoring her. Any suggestions are welcome, besides medicating her which I won’t do if I can find an alternative.

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hello

Could you try music? Classical harp music can be surprisingly helpful in calming cats.

There are these calming products for you to consider;

Only Natural Pet has a calming product called Just Relax Calming spray with essential oil (catnip oil).

There's this one, be sure and scroll all the way down the page;
Bach Flower Remedies - Rescue Remedy Pets Dogs Cats Horses Birds

Richard's Organics Pet Calm-this one is drops that you put on the tip of the tongue. Also, HomeoPet Anxiety Relief, Head to Tail Calming, Relaxivet Quiet Moments Cat treats, GNC Calming formula, and there is Calm-o-mile, Sentry calming collar, Natures Miracle calming spray, Vetri-Science's Composure is another item to look at, Pet Remedy - UK (it has valerian) is yet another, as is Essential Pet Pet-eze, Pet Organics No Stress, Only Natural Pet (brand and website) has other calming products, Pet Naturals also has one I believe, and there are others.

Lambert Vet Supply is a website to look at, and of course chewy, also there's Petwishpros, animaleo, 1-800-petmeds, Petco and PetSmart, and other pet stores.

There is also a product called a lickimat which could be helpful, as cats can be calmed by the process of licking. The LickiMat - Food Puzzles for Cats

This post talks about some other products;
Calming Treats For A Very Picky Cat

ArtNJ

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Well, I can't begin to parse the underlying "why," much less suggest how to fix it, but sometimes you just have to treat the symptoms. Since it is only one spot I would suggest putting a litter box there for a while.

rubysmama

Forum Helper
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise