OTC cold medication / thermometer

jr70895

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
7 year old male cat appears to have a cold. Sneezing, head shaking, watery eyes, runny but not plugged up nose. He licks the bottom of his nose his like perhaps nasal drip issues. I have scheduled him a vet visit for 2 days from now. In the meantime is there any OTC cold medication I could give him to see if that helps. The vet usually charges $200-$300 for every visit here lately. Money is a little on the tight side right now but do plan on taking him in.
He did have an ear polyp removed that caused breathing issues a few years back. The polyp had like symptoms but much worse with labored breathing that he doesn't have this time. I know a polyp can come back but not sure that's the issue. I took his temp at it's 100.8 degrees.
Also, what would be a good thermometer to use? The one I have is a baby rectal thermometer. Do the ear type work ok?

Kieka

Snowshoe Servant
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Cats have a very different reaction to medications from humans and even from dogs. You don't want to do any OTC medication due to the risk of medicating for the wrong thing or causing more harm then good. The most I would suggest doing is bringing your cat into a steam filled bathroom, the steam may help loosen up any congestion and ease some symptoms. Do it as often as your cat will tolerate ideally for 10-15 minutes at a time. There are a handful of homeopathic treatments the pet stores sale but your better off saving your money for proper treatment from a vet since you'd likely still need to see a vet.

If you notice the discharge from his nose changing color, you need to see the vet right away since that can indicate bacterial infection.

silent meowlook

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hi. There isn’t an over the counter medication that will help him and most are very toxic to cats. If it is the polyp reoccurring, it won’t help.
It could be that he picked up a virus.
You can try the bathroom steam Method
Make sure there aren’t any air fresheners or anything that could hurt him if breathed in. Turn the sheet on hot until the bathroom is full of steam. Then turn off the shower, get him and hold him in a normal cat position, not upside down, in the bathroom for 5 to 10 minutes. This might help.

Is he eating and drinking ok?
The ear thermometers don’t work. The baby flexible tip digital thermometers work ok, but most aren’t all that accurate.
100.8 is fine.
Make sure you don’t have any essential oils or air fresheners in your house..