Orijen Cat & Kitten

RMO

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I have been feeding my cats and my 8 month old kitten Orijen dry food for just over a year. I was very pleased with it - until the current bag. Suddenly, some of my cats seem itchy and have dandruff, there have been some loose stools now and then, everyone seems to be eating more than usual.

I'm wondering if Orijen has changed their formula (as so many cat food manufacturers do now and then). Any insight?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

RMO

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
WOW...thank you. Pretty shocking, especially for such high-priced food. OMG.

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
In light of your other post (teen cat and soft stools), and this news about Orijen, just be careful when you start to transition your cats to something else - which I assume you plan to do.

Even though it might mean keeping part of their diet with Orijen as you gradually add something else, that is a better option than cutting off Orijen all at once and risk additional digestive issues. Eventually, you'll be able to remove Orijen altogether.

• Purraise
Reactions: RMO
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter

RMO

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Thank you again, FO. Yes, I will be exceedingly cautious about the transition. The vet's advice was to make an immediate change (for my kitten) from Orijen to the kitten food. That didn't seem wise to me, especially since he's 8 months old, not a tiny kitten.
Someone I know who was a vet tech for 20 years pointed out to me that the "stages" of cat food are nothing more than a marketing effort - at least once a kitten has adult teeth and doesn't need the small-sized kibble.

At this point, I just want everyone stabilized. After 8 month old is finished with his course of Metro and everyone seems okay, thast's when I would begin a very slow transition.