Orijen Fit & Trim: Any Thoughts Or Info About Heavy Metal Content?

Gigi6

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hello everyone,

My cat Coco is almost 2 years old, and I have been feeding her 2 smalls cans of wet food (Almo Complete) a day along with dry food available to eat between the canned meals. So about 2/3 of her diet comes from wet food and the rest from dry food.

The dry food I’ve been purchasing is Orijen Cat & Kitten, which she likes, and now I got Fit & Trim because of the higher protein/lower carb content. Both are the Canadian versions of this food, which are apparently different from the US versions. After I made the purchase I read some disturbing info about a lawsuit against Champion Pet Food company, maker of Orijen & Acana, for high heavy metal content in their pet foods (high arsenic, mercury, lead & BPA). The lawsuit is in the US and from I’m understanding, the US formulas are inferior to the Canadian ones. I have found the heavy metal content in the US Cat & Kitten but nothing about the Canadian one or about Fit & Trim.

If you have any information about this, specifically about Fit & Trim, please let me know. If this food is indeed very high in heavy metals, can you recommend another good quality dry food that is grain-free and has low carb content (compared to other dry foods).

I do realize that dry food is actually not optimal for cats, and it’s recommended that they have raw food. I’m considering eliminating dry food from my cat’s diet in the near future (probably early next year) and switching to freeze-dried raw food, such as Primal. But in the meantime, if you have any info regarding Orijen Fit & Trim and maybe some tips on making the transition to raw food easier (Coco is extremely picky!), that would be greatly appreciated :)

1 bruce 1

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I can't comment on the Fit and Trim Orijen issue, but if your cat is already happy eating both a wet and dry diet, the transition will be much easier than a cat that is hooked on dry food only.
If you have access to a freeze dried food, you might start sprinkling it on the wet food to get her used to it, and whenever you're ready to transition completely, it will be much easier.