Oral Cancer

charliexoxo

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
When do I do the inevitable?

My poor 8/9 year old Kittygirl. I noticed she wasn’t really eating so I brought her to the vet. And bam. A huge tumor surrounding her canine. Malignant and aggressive. After hearing the results I asked the vet to tell me straight how much time he thinks she has left. He said 7-14 days 5 days ago.

After removing the tooth where the tumor was she went from eating again to barely any appetite as of this morning. I can’t get her to take pain meds. She’s super skiddish so oral medication is tough and adds to her anxiety. I was able to mix a flavored chewable into her food but as of this morning she doesn’t have the appetite for that to work. Last night she was cuddling and purring and making me soft. She’s still using the cat box. She’s vocal after eating. (She’s usually a little vocal though) & this morning i couldn’t get her to eat and maybe some of that was stress from me trying to get her to eat. I called the vet and he said try baby food and give her a few more days.

When I got home from work after that her eye was shut. The eye that’s the same side of the tumor. It’s been bothering her for a few days but today she couldn’t get it open. When I walked up to her I could see her eye was filled with discharge and she had been drooling and appeared to be drooling blood. After about ten minutes her eye reopened. I tried the baby food and after about 35 minutes she took 4 bites. Jumped next to me purring and then went back to hiding.

When is the right time? Tomorrow? A few days? Am I prolonging her pain? Would tomorrow be robbing her life short? This is so difficult

Timmer

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
...I'm very sorry to read this and I know how hard it is to make that decision. I lost my cat Timmer a month ago to IBD and lymphoma. I'm sorry you and your cat are going through this.
I'm surprised that the vet went ahead and removed the tooth, and 2. that the vet didn't give you a liquid pain reliever that you could simply squirt into your cats mouth.
None of us can tell you when to take your cat in. I just want you to know that when you do, do not blame yourself. You are a good cat owner, you care, and you gave your cat a very good home for as long as you had her.
The day I took my cat in he was purring and peed in the litter box. That's not always a good indicator that all is well but it's better than the cat just laying around, non responsive. Enjoy the time you have with your cat, remember the sound of her purr and love her as much as you can right now. Your love will mean a lot to keeping her comfortable.
Personally, I cannot stand seeing anyone suffer. I am sure it does hurt and bothers her.
If you are able to get the cat some kind of liquid pain medication soon, that will help. My cats always had buprofene and that helps make them comfortable. That is absorbed by the gums so you don't even need to get it down their throat.
Again, just love your sweet baby while you can.

Gizmobius

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
So sorry that you're going through this. My previous cat, Willow, most likely had oral cancer. That was what the vet had assumed since I didn't get a biopsy and didn't actually spend the excess of money just to confirm whether or not it was indeed cancer. My vet at the time was kind enough and confident enough to assure me that she was positive it was most likely oral cancer and I acted accordingly. It was a blindside to me at the time as it had just started as a growth on her gum that I had no idea could've ever turned into what it was, but it just kept growing and growing.

I put her onto an all wet diet and that worked for a couple weeks until even that was difficult for her. I added water and blended her wet food in hopes she would be able to lick it up and wouldn't have to chew. Eventually she just stopped eating and her growth got to a point where I could tell I was prolonging the inevitable. Now that it's been over a year later, I think I waited a week longer than I should have but at the time I just didn't realize nor understand it was getting as bad as it was.

We know our cats. We know their behavior, we know their personalities and attitudes. Only you can decide when the "right time" is. It's difficult to find a balance between when we know they're ready and when we know we're ready. No, we as caretakers are never truly "ready" but something eventually just clicks where we come to terms with the fact we have to make that terrible decision. What helped me understand that I had to make that choice was when I asked myself "is her quality of life up to the standards that I know she's used to?"

Only you can do what's best for your kitty, and only you know what actually IS best for your kitty. I empathize with you and I hope you know these forums are full of wonderful people who are here to listen. :redheartpump:

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

charliexoxo

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Thank you for your response and kind words :( the tooth was very soft at the time. He removed it when he took the biopsy samples. He wanted to give me the liquid and I asked if there was another option. I’d have to chase her in circles to get close enough to get the liquid in her mouth. She’s not typically a social kitty and only comes about in her terms. Is eye discharge and sensitivity common with cats and cancer?

duckpond

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I am so sorry about this for your cat, and you. I don't know how you decide when the time is right. I think if they are having more bad days than good days, maybe. If the pain seems to be a constant. Its heartbreaking. My thoughts and prayers are with you guys.

oldgloryrags88

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Hey there. I'm so sorry for this situation. I lost my cat to oral squamous cell carcinoma in September...she was 14 years old. I had her for almost 2 years.

No one but you can say when it's time. I won't say I know your pain, because I do not, but I know how difficult the situation is.

Angel had a tumor under her tongue, on top of her tongue, and her jaw bone was then infected with cancer. :-(
4.3 lbs (should of weighted 12 lbs), blind, cancer everywhere, 2 days to live.
She lived for 5 days and died in my arms wrapped up in our favorite blanket. It was actually very peaceful.

I am not a very religious person, I find comfort in music. When Angel died, I found comfort in one of my favorite songs I use to play while I write (I'm a writer) and Angel would be by my side listening too. The line was from Figure.09 (Linkin Park) "And now you've become a part of me, you'll always be right here".

FakeGourmet

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
When do I do the inevitable?

My poor 8/9 year old Kittygirl. I noticed she wasn’t really eating so I brought her to the vet. And bam. A huge tumor surrounding her canine. Malignant and aggressive. After hearing the results I asked the vet to tell me straight how much time he thinks she has left. He said 7-14 days 5 days ago.

When is the right time? Tomorrow? A few days? Am I prolonging her pain? Would tomorrow be robbing her life short? This is so difficult
Yes, she's in pain. I would not have had the tooth removed and just brought her home for a day or two to say goodbye before putting her down. I know which cancer you are talking about. My Aunt and even one of my vets each lost a cat to that last winter. So sorry your cat is so sick. It's a tough time to go through.

Antonio65

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
My cat died from an oral cancer last year.
It seems to me that your cat is in much pain. If she doesn't want to eat and her eye is close and gives her troubles, pain and discharge, I think you shouldn't wait.
My Lola was still eating until a few hours before she passed, she showed some appetite, but then it was clear that it was time to let her go.
I'm so sorry, I know your pain, I know how you're feeling.
All I can do is to send warm hugs your way and a sweet kiss to your beloved kitty!