Opossum babies hitch a ride

Kat0121

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I love Opossums. I think they are sweet and adorable. :cloud9:

Years ago DH's grandfather gave us a young fig tree. It was in a pot and not doing well. We took care of it and eventually planted it in our yard. Soon after, it started growing little figs. DH was excited to try them. I'd check on them when I watered the tree. One day, I noticed they were gone. They were still rather small so I was confused. They grew in again and same thing. They "vanished". One night, DH was out back in the screen room and he heard a rustling sound in the bushes near the tree. He took a flashlight over there and he found an Opossum looking for a snack by the tree. He said that it just looked up at him with a "Hi. I wasn't doin nothin" look on its face. He didn't have the heart to shoo it off. He just went back to what he was doing and left it alone. He never did get a single fig from that tree. Not too long after that the idiots from the lawn service killed the tree with the big ride on mower. :doh:

fionasmom

Staff Member
Purraise
I love opossums. One is currently living in my garage using one of the cat beds that the ferals deemed below their standards. Not the first time that an enterprising possum commandeered my feral cat provisions.

muffy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I was trying to look something up and couldn't find it but came across this precious video instead. I think it was muffy muffy who said she really likes opossums. GMA Furbabies.
Those babies are adorable with their cute little faces. Next to cats and dogs they are my favorite animals. I used to have quite a few of them but since the raccoons started coming I rarely saw a opossum. Thanks for posting the video.

Kat0121

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I love opossums. One is currently living in my garage using one of the cat beds that the ferals deemed below their standards. Not the first time that an enterprising possum commandeered my feral cat provisions.
A former co worker of mine had 5 indoor/outdoor cats. When she was home, she'd leave the sliding glass door cracked open so they could go out or come back in as they pleased. The door was next to the kitchen. One night, she went into the kitchen to get something. All of the cats were lined up at their dishes having dinner. She looked down and saw a sixth tail sticking out from among the cats' tails. She looked closer and an Opossum was having dinner with them. She watched them eat and then they all went back outside together. Every so often she saw the Opossum eating with the cats. The Opossum never bothered anyone. It would just come in with the cats and then leave with them. She thought it was cute and funny. I agree.

muffy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Possums are so sweet and they never caused me any problems when I used to feed them. I read somewhere that they are very intelligant. Next to cats, dogs and pigs they are one of the smartest animals.

di and bob

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Possums only have a life span of about two years, so any help you can give them is appreciated, I'm sure! I've never seen them try to hurt a cat, they seem to blend right in. The same with foxes, though foxes are much more leery and timid.

fionasmom

Staff Member
Purraise
My ferals will sit right next to the possums and eat. I have one high and mighty little feral girl outside who is irritated by them, but she never bothers them.

Years ago, my first dog who was really mine was an Aussie. He would go in the backyard and pick up possums in his mouth. They would go limp, he would bring them in the back door and present them to me as if he had found a new toy. No one was even close to harmed and I just left them in the kitchen with the back door open and the other doors closed and the lights off and eventually they left.