Opinions please - I want to move the litter box

BeccaCat

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I have 2 cats, 3 boxes. They only use 2. One they use frequently is in the kitchen and has been for years but I hate it in the kitchen. I have cleaned and redone the spare bedroom and want to move the box in there. It’s quieter and more “private” for them.
Anyone ever successfully moved a litter box? Do you think there’s a chance they’ll take to it being in the other room?
They’ll still have the regular one in my bedroom as well.

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
I'd do a couple of things - one, add a 3rd box in the desired location and make sure they are aware it is there. See if they start to use it, and then gradually move the kitchen box toward the doorway that enters the other parts of the house. It will be a pain to do, but you can't just remove it altogether right off the bat. You can try to encourage use of the new box by placing in it or near it when you think they need to go - a lot of times cats tend to have a bit of pattern to their litter box routines, and if yours do, it will help to place them in/near the new box during those times. Ideally, they will find the new spot to their liking because it is quieter.

It is better to have the boxes spread apart a bit, so if your bedroom and the new location are close to each other, with the rest of the house being devoid of a box, it might be a harder transition.

I am sure other members will come along soon and offer their input!

Lennybells

I’m a slave to my furry master
Adult Cat
Purraise
I agree with the slowly moving. It’s a process. You have to inch it over quite some time. But it’s worth it in the end, I wouldn’t have my cat’s litter box in the kitchen either…

iPappy

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Years ago, I had to move the litter boxes to the other side of the house, and I just did it without thinking of it. My cats were fine, but, the cats I had at the time were pretty laid back and didn't really care about such things. I really like the suggestion of putting another box in the spare room now so the cats get acclimated to a box being there, then slowly moving the box to it's new destination.

Alldara

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
I would suggest, since it's really dependant on the cats, that you move the favored box to the new spot, show them and then put a disposable box in the old space.

They should follow the favored box.

Ill add as a caveat to my previous post that i do change which box is in which spot semi frequently.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

BeccaCat

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Thank you for all of your input! 💗

tabbytom

Happiness is being owned by a cat
Staff Member
Mentor
Purraise
I have 2 cats, 3 boxes. They only use 2. One they use frequently is in the kitchen and has been for years but I hate it in the kitchen. I have cleaned and redone the spare bedroom and want to move the box in there. It’s quieter and more “private” for them.
Anyone ever successfully moved a litter box? Do you think there’s a chance they’ll take to it being in the other room?
They’ll still have the regular one in my bedroom as well.
Yes, it's possible to move the litterbox and then after they'll use it. Though cats don't like changes especially the litterbox, it can be done.

Some cats can adapt to certain changes but best is to move it bit by bit like move one or two feet each day. and in between just nudge the litterbox a few inches till it reaches it's final destination.

You may also way to add some of the used litter or get a pee clump from from current litterbox and place it in the new box that is is the room so that there's familiar scents in the new litterbox. But I'll suggest that you still do the moving of the old litterbox step by step whether you have a new litterbox in the room or not.