Opinion on Siamese cat

riley1

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Hi All,

I think I have a post on every forum about my cat Aamira.  At first I didn't think she was much Siamese but after researching the breed I believe she is almost all Siamese based on her behavior:  Intelligent, extremely active, willful,very social,  etc.  She is probably 1 /1/2 years.  The things I was getting upset about are not her fault but just who she is.  I live alone & can't have another cat; I feel I am just not meeting her needs for simulation & play.  I was considering sneaking one in but I own my condo & would have to sell if they called me on it.   I live alone & nothing really happens around here.   I try to play with her twice a day for a least 30 min or more but it does not satisfy her. After 3 months I am quite attached to her & I think her to me.  Certainly not willing to just take her back but I wonder if I am keeping her from having the fun, active life she should have with other cats & more people.  I have promised & committed a life for her here with me but I would like to get others opinions of her quality of life, especially Siamese people. 

Sorry for keep asking for more help but this is only my second cat; my first was quite sedate except when running around outside.  We have leash laws here & as I am getting older taking her out is also not an option.  I am afraid of falling on our uneven ground.

nora1

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
She sure sounds like an active kitty!

Would it be possible for someone else to walk her outside? Is there a family friend that could visit and take her out for a walk? 

lily19

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Yes Siamese are very active cats, we used to raise them and are very used to their behaviour, we had our first one, he did have a lead and we walked  him outside when possible. He was the first of many Siamese that have share our lives.  Now we are senior citizens and have rescued two Siamese, we do not know their ages, one is an adult and one a kitten almost an adult. As you can guess were are not as active as we were raising them, but we do take a special time to play with them both, separately and together, the youngest one is full of energy and so I give her more playtime, chasing toys playing with a ball on a short stick obtained from the pet store and they both seem happy to play together and Siamese love to carry things in their mouths to their favorite people so got some cat balls, soft woolly one and the regular cat toy. balls and I always find one in my bedroom or by their food, a little offering, they are wonderful cats to have and very loving, I do hope it works out for you, Siamese Cat Mum

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

riley1

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
My dear departed little boy loved to hunt.  We only went out during the day & if he got slipped away I could count on him to come home in 3 hrs for some food.  If this little girl would be willing to walk on the street that would solve the rough ground problem.  No family at all here but I will check round for responsible teenagers in the neighborhood.  Thanks for the reply!

riley1

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Thanks for the information!  Everyone says another cat would really help out.  I know of several people who have cats where they should not but I am on the first floor & they are on the 2nd where no one can see.  I find this rule odd because we own the condos.  She play by herself a bit of the time.  This morning she had a toy party on my bed at 5:30 a.m.  She is so very smart; shows me when she want to move to another room with the fishing pole toys & when bored with one sits at the toy closet to let me know she wants another.  I really want to keep her; she is so sweet but I don't want her to be unhappy.

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Do you have a balcony?  An netted in balcony is often a good help...

riley1

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Good idea but will not work.  I have a nice patio but our condo assc is anal about anything placed outside.  I should buy a house!

riley1

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I appreciate everyone's comments.  With my first cat I bought all those little enclosures because I thought it was a perfect solution.  They are too small & just not sturdy enough for a cat to use long term.  My boy would sit & cry to come in.  He then started dissembling them so he could get free.  I still have two broken ones in the garage but as my Siamese has claws & may have been indoor/outdoor she would have no problem escaping. 

These are all good ideas but my question was opinions concerning the quality of her life with me as opposed to another person/family.

handsome kitty

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I use the ABO tent (and 2 tunnels and a tower) . It is pretty sturdy. The mesh is bite proof and survives claws.  It  is 4 feet by 6 feet and domed.  I have it outside all the time and have attached the tunnel to a cat flap so the cats can go in and out.    This pic is before the cat flap was installed.

riley1

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
You really have a complex, nice system.  I would like to try something like this.  My condo assc would b**** & I am really getting quite sick of them. I took Rizzo out for 6 years & of course he wanted to hunt in other people's bushes right under their windows.  To avoid bothering other people I would  let him wander & just followed away from the building with a chair to sit on.  No one complained & many said they loved seeing him race to me when I called.  The assc manager had to remind me to keep him on a leash & his last year I had to do this.   I had some beautiful cat nip plants out for 5 years.  My departed, much missed Rizzo loved both fresh & dried.  Planned on seeing if Aamira liked this & also took it to the shelter where I work.  This year all the plants were sprayed & killed.  Also, the water hookup is 150 ft from the front where I water my plants & wash my car.  I have to run the hose close to the building.  This I have done for 8 summers.  I was recently told that the bush clipping people said they were working closer this year & my hose could be cut.  I guess they expect me to put it away after each use.  I have lived here 16 years & am getting more unhappy every year.  The one thing I would miss is the swimming pool & hot tub.  Plus, getting as much of a house as I have here would cost a lot more.  Sorry, not cat related just venting. 

handsome kitty

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Fluffy, the gray cat, will sit outside for hours and sometimes nap.  You can't see it in the picture but I have bird seed on the sidewalk about 2 feet from the tent.  Can you put a bird feeded outside your patio so the cat can watch the birds?  I'm surprised you can't get a petition to change rules with the condo association.  Have you tried getting on the board so you can change things?  It's not an uncommon practice.

handsome kitty

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I've recently seen cat runs at Petsmart.  It's either a 6' or 10' cable attached to a spike that screws into the ground.  The cat would still need a harness to attach to the cable.

dandila

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
May I ask what sort of behavior she is demonstrating that makes you think she may be unhappy or unfulfilled?  I have a Tonkinese who was my first cat ever.  They have some similar traits as Siamese.  My girl doesn't care what we do, just as long as we do it together.  She'll walk with me outside or couch potato with me on Saturday afternoons.  Of course, now she is 19 years old and doesn't play much anymore but I have never even considered the question of her quality of life.  There is no doubt that she just loves being with me.

So I don't think your Siamese would need anything more than what you are giving her.  Is she being destructive?  I'm not even going to ask if she's being vocal because that is just what both Tonks and Siamese do!

arcticcat907

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
She sounds like a young kitty. My friend found some bird dvds you can play to hold attention while your gone. Any thoughts on those? Also, play time and activity sometimes goes down with age. I grew up with a half Siamese, half calico. When she was a kitten she was very energetic. As she got older she became a lap cat. That said, she was still siamese and could be a snot and mouthy when she wanted to be. While the games didn't involve fake bird toys or mice on strings, there will still games. Mind games.