Ongoing Fic Symptoms, And Question Re: Buprenorphine

meganandmoo

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I posted a couple weeks ago about our kitty's ongoing issues with FIC.

As of January 2, when we last saw the vet, she indicated Moo's bladder was still quite tense, and he has still been continuing to dribble and have very small pees. She prescribed him Phenoxybenzamine, which he's been taking since January 3 (he was on Prazosin for a short time following his initial blockage at the end of November, but she wanted to try something different). We spoke again on Friday, January 4, and she suggested one thing we could have done is sedate him, insert a catheter and do a thorough bladder flush with saline in case he's still got sludge and debris in his bladder that's preventing the urine from coming out properly. She said aside from that, we could try a contrast dye procedure to see if there's any damage to his urethra (such as the formation of scar tissue). I said I wanted to wait and see if the new medication relaxes his bladder before proceeding with any decisions (keeping in mind we're already well over $2K in vet bills now, and that some of the posts I've read here say after administering the Phenoxy, it took three weeks for the bladder to normalize). We have an appointment tomorrow for her to check him out again.

Yesterday Moo was quite sleepy all day, and he didn't seem too interested in his food - super unusual for him, as he is obsessed with food! We tried feeding him around 4:30 before heading out for the night, but he seemed extremely dopey and uninterested - I'd pick him up, and he'd just lie down anywhere I placed him.

So of course I worried of the possibility of another blockage and took him into the after-hours vet. The doctor was able to easily express urine from his bladder (she also gave me a thorough lesson on how to palpitate him myself, which was great), and noted the colour of his urine also seemed normal, so felt confident it wasn't a blockage/urinary issue. She did feel that he may have some gastrointestinal distress going on - we're not sure if it could be that we're mixing his Royal Canin Urinary Care with raw, or if it's because we let him roam outside for a bit the day prior, and he may have eaten some grass, which he's done in the past. For new, we're resuming with the wet RX food only, concerned the switch to raw might be too much for him at this time.

She gave him an injection of buprenorphone for the pain (advised it will last three days), a prescription for Cerenia to help with the nausea and appetite, and said to call if there were any other concerns.

I slept in Moo's room with him last night (he stays in the guest room for now due to the incontinence), and he slept pretty heavily until around 4:30 a.m., got up for a few bites of food, then got back into bed. He did eat some more wet food this morning, and seems fairly interested in food again, but he's also acting strangely compared to his usual self - he seems a bit uncoordinated (wobbly), less vocal than usual, and when I go engage with him, he goes into fits of purrs and affection. I think this is probably normal with the Buprenorphine, based on what I've read here, but I admit it's kind of freaking me out a bit too.

He hasn't had any pees in his litterbox, but as before - and especially since the Phenoxy - he continues to be incontinent, constantly dripping and leaving puddles on the floor (I've tried putting a pet diaper on him per the vet's suggestion, to allow him to roam the house, but he was having none of it!).

In terms of medication overall, Moo's on:
-Injection of Buprenorphine (lasting three days)
-Five days of Cerenia, then a two-day "wash" (which she said is normal for the drug), then three more days
-10 mg daily of Amitriptyline
-Phenoxybenzamine every 12 hours

I guess I'm just wondering if anyone's observed a similar "strangeness" in their kitty following the Buprenorphine injection (I understand it's a narcotic), and seeing again if anyone has more insight into a stubborn case of FIC like we've been dealing with (up until Saturday, he has otherwise been himself, save for the small, frequent pees and incontinence - which is frustrating, as it means having to keep him in a designated room :().

Since his blockage on November 27, we haven't been able to get his urinary habits back to normal, in spite of many efforts and modifications, which is really difficult for all of us. PU surgery has been discussed, but we are hesitant, and our vet agrees because she said it doesn't address the FIC itself, only prevents the occurrence of a blockage (we're also quoted $2K for the surgery, and while we'd have it done if it were dire, we're trying so very hard to avoid adding even more significantly to the financial strain of this experience).

Thanks so kindly in advance for your help!

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hi. I am going to ask P PJBoy to possibly help and advice you. I hope P PJBoy doesn't mind considering what PJ has been through. Also, if you want to read through some of the thread about PJ, look for the thread titled 'Post PU Surgery' - long arduous but informative journey they've been through.

PJBoy

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I guess I'm just wondering if anyone's observed a similar "strangeness" in their kitty following the Buprenorphine injection (I understand it's a narcotic), and seeing again if anyone has more insight into a stubborn case of FIC like we've been dealing with (up until Saturday, he has otherwise been himself, save for the small, frequent pees and incontinence - which is frustrating, as it means having to keep him in a designated room :().
Hi there! Just read your whole post. So sorry to hear about the struggles you and Moo have gone through. :( I know how entirely stressful it is to feel helpless without answers.

Unfortunately I may not have too many answers, as I haven't gone through exactly what you're experiencing. My boy, PJ, did not suffer from FIC. For him, he suddenly blocked and had to have emergency PU surgery. I read through all the meds Moo has taken thus far and the only same one PJ has taken (besides prazosin) is Buprenorphine. PJ didn't have the injection, so I'm not sure if the effects vary from injection to the liquid way, which PJ had. When we picked him up, I was told he was quite effected by it and seemed "very drunk". Although, upon bringing him home and continuing the dose, he didn't seem overly strange. I was not informed by my vet that with Buprenorphine you're supposed to put it into the gums, as thats how the kitty digests it rather than putting it down his throat, so there's a chance PJ just wasn't exerpeicing the effects as much as he could have. I didn't read all that until near the end of his dosing.

I have read a lot on Burenorphine and peoples experiences with it, and it seems fairly normal for kitty's to have a strong sedating effect from that medication. I was told to call the vet if he seems overly sedated and will not move at all, as it varies from cat to cat on how it will effect them.

Sorry I'm not a ton of help with what you're going through! :( If you do choose to go through with the PU surgery, or have any questions in that regard, please do let me know! I also highly suggest joining the group "Feline Lower Urinary Tract" on Facebook if you are unable to find answers through this website. A lot of people discuss these matters on there and have likely experienced very similar things to what you're experiencing. I sure hope Moo starts feeling better soon.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

meganandmoo

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hi. I am going to ask P PJBoy to possibly help and advice you. I hope P PJBoy doesn't mind considering what PJ has been through. Also, if you want to read through some of the thread about PJ, look for the thread titled 'Post PU Surgery' - long arduous but informative journey they've been through.
Thank you, I am very appreciative.

meganandmoo

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hi there! Just read your whole post. So sorry to hear about the struggles you and Moo have gone through. :( I know how entirely stressful it is to feel helpless without answers.

Unfortunately I may not have too many answers, as I haven't gone through exactly what you're experiencing. My boy, PJ, did not suffer from FIC. For him, he suddenly blocked and had to have emergency PU surgery. I read through all the meds Moo has taken thus far and the only same one PJ has taken (besides prazosin) is Buprenorphine. PJ didn't have the injection, so I'm not sure if the effects vary from injection to the liquid way, which PJ had. When we picked him up, I was told he was quite effected by it and seemed "very drunk". Although, upon bringing him home and continuing the dose, he didn't seem overly strange. I was not informed by my vet that with Buprenorphine you're supposed to put it into the gums, as thats how the kitty digests it rather than putting it down his throat, so there's a chance PJ just wasn't exerpeicing the effects as much as he could have. I didn't read all that until near the end of his dosing.

I have read a lot on Burenorphine and peoples experiences with it, and it seems fairly normal for kitty's to have a strong sedating effect from that medication. I was told to call the vet if he seems overly sedated and will not move at all, as it varies from cat to cat on how it will effect them.

Sorry I'm not a ton of help with what you're going through! :( If you do choose to go through with the PU surgery, or have any questions in that regard, please do let me know! I also highly suggest joining the group "Feline Lower Urinary Tract" on Facebook if you are unable to find answers through this website. A lot of people discuss these matters on there and have likely experienced very similar things to what you're experiencing. I sure hope Moo starts feeling better soon.
Thank you so much for your response, and my apologies for not responding sooner - it has been a long past couple days with very little sleep, as the Buprenorphine injection (a 72-hour slow release) resulted in Moo acting very strangely, as I'd mentioned. I guess, based on my readings, this is a typical reaction in some cats. Instead of being sedate, he is very high-strung, uncoordinated, strangely affectionate (in that he purrs when stressed), and restless (he has hardly slept the past couple nights and aggressively paws the door, which means I have to stay in the room with him). Luckily we will be at hour-72 tonight, which means the effects should begin wearing off.

I am appreciative of the info re: the PU surgery and will review it closely in a moment. During my visit with the vet yesterday, her suggestion was proceeding with the bladder flush/contrast dye test, as she now feels he may have urethral stenosis resulting from scar tissue, impacting his ability to empty his bladder. In which case, the surgery would be the solution. Her other suggestion was seeing an internal medicinist, but this would be a costly visit, not to mention the potential diagnostics.

Our vet has been so accommodating through this, waiving costs wherever possible, speaking with me at length after hours and so forth, but the fact of the matter is we've racked up our credit card dealing with this issue over the mast month and a bit, and we simply can't afford to keep spending money we do not have.

I will be seeing our vet again today to check/express his bladder again, and at the time will confirm the appointment for the flush/contrast dye. We're so desperately hoping some kind of answer presents itself from that.

Thanks again for responding and sharing your experience/insight. Reading about other peoples' experiences has been so valuable in navigating this tiring and troubling situation - particularly as the vet runs out of answers - and I am so grateful for having found this site.

meganandmoo

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I also highly suggest joining the group "Feline Lower Urinary Tract" on Facebook if you are unable to find answers through this website. A lot of people discuss these matters on there and have likely experienced very similar things to what you're experiencing. I sure hope Moo starts feeling better soon.
I meant to mention that as much as I'd hoped to join this group, membership is inexplicably closed. I joined another group with far less members, but unfortunately it is not as active, so I've found this site to be my most helpful avenue, information-wise. Thanks again, and for your well wishes!

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Are you able to at least peruse through the information on the FLUTD FB site, as long as you are logged in via your own FB account??

meganandmoo

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Are you able to at least peruse through the information on the FLUTD FB site, as long as you are logged in via your own FB account??
Sadly, no - it says I have to join the group to see the discussion, post and comment, but when I click to join, it says, "We are temporarily CLOSED to new members. No new members will be added until further notice. I apololgize." Extremely frustrating.

I joined another one, but at only 615 members, it's unfortunately not very active.

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise

meganandmoo

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise

PJBoy

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I meant to mention that as much as I'd hoped to join this group, membership is inexplicably closed. I joined another group with far less members, but unfortunately it is not as active, so I've found this site to be my most helpful avenue, information-wise. Thanks again, and for your well wishes!
Actually, that is what it said when I went to join a couple weeks back as well. I just wrote in the description box that I was desperate for information, and they accepted my invitation still. It's worth a shot!

Thank you so much for your response, and my apologies for not responding sooner - it has been a long past couple days with very little sleep, as the Buprenorphine injection (a 72-hour slow release) resulted in Moo acting very strangely, as I'd mentioned. I guess, based on my readings, this is a typical reaction in some cats. Instead of being sedate, he is very high-strung, uncoordinated, strangely affectionate (in that he purrs when stressed), and restless (he has hardly slept the past couple nights and aggressively paws the door, which means I have to stay in the room with him). Luckily we will be at hour-72 tonight, which means the effects should begin wearing off.

I am appreciative of the info re: the PU surgery and will review it closely in a moment. During my visit with the vet yesterday, her suggestion was proceeding with the bladder flush/contrast dye test, as she now feels he may have urethral stenosis resulting from scar tissue, impacting his ability to empty his bladder. In which case, the surgery would be the solution. Her other suggestion was seeing an internal medicinist, but this would be a costly visit, not to mention the potential diagnostics.

Our vet has been so accommodating through this, waiving costs wherever possible, speaking with me at length after hours and so forth, but the fact of the matter is we've racked up our credit card dealing with this issue over the mast month and a bit, and we simply can't afford to keep spending money we do not have.

I will be seeing our vet again today to check/express his bladder again, and at the time will confirm the appointment for the flush/contrast dye. We're so desperately hoping some kind of answer presents itself from that.

Thanks again for responding and sharing your experience/insight. Reading about other peoples' experiences has been so valuable in navigating this tiring and troubling situation - particularly as the vet runs out of answers - and I am so grateful for having found this site.
I'm so sorry this is all happening still! I understand the financial strain this puts on one. I have never spent so much money on one thing in my entire life, and I am blessed to have been able to do that in the first place. I hope you and your vet are able to find a solution for your kitty that work for you financially. Perhaps PU surgery may end up being the cheaper route - rather than paying for constant vet visits, trying to figure it out. How did your vet visit go today? Were you able to get any more answers/express his bladder again?

meganandmoo

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Actually, that is what it said when I went to join a couple weeks back as well. I just wrote in the description box that I was desperate for information, and they accepted my invitation still. It's worth a shot!

I'm so sorry this is all happening still! I understand the financial strain this puts on one. I have never spent so much money on one thing in my entire life, and I am blessed to have been able to do that in the first place. I hope you and your vet are able to find a solution for your kitty that work for you financially. Perhaps PU surgery may end up being the cheaper route - rather than paying for constant vet visits, trying to figure it out. How did your vet visit go today? Were you able to get any more answers/express his bladder again?
Yes! I did the same thing today! - expressed my desperation, and was accepted! I've been poring through posts slowly!

The vet expressed quite a bit of urine from Moo this evening. We've now booked the contrast dye procedure for Friday so we can see what exactly is going on with the suspected stricture in his urethra, and yes: it sounds like our next option will be the PU surgery, which I posted about today as well. The surgery is expected to be around $2K, but the stent, which was the alternative (aside from the other big and difficult choice) was estimated at $4K, and it's just not within our means whatsoever. Of course I've read as much as I can about the surgery - and likely will continue to read - which is good and bad, but from all my posts so far here and on FB, everyone who has chimed in has said it was the right choice to make (our difficulty with it is that Moo is not reblocking, but that the suspected stricture is preventing him from being able to fully empty his bladder).

I actually feel a strange sense of relief having some kind of plan in place now, instead of just waiting and desperately praying he gets better. The vet is concerned with the constant fullness of his bladder - I'm taking him back tomorrow to be checked/palpitated (our vet is incredible, by the way - is not charging me for this visits and is doing everything she can within in her power to keep the costs low for us). I think having real evidence of what's going on in his urethra will help make the PU decision just that much easier, and put our minds at ease.

Thanks again for listening, and for letting me ramble. The Buprenorphine is finally wearing off Moo, so he's very quiet tonight - good thing, because he's kept me up the past two nights, thus why I'm pretty incoherent at the moment.

I will be sure to update (and pick brains, I expect) as the situation evolves.

Thanks so much again!

PJBoy

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Yes! I did the same thing today! - expressed my desperation, and was accepted! I've been poring through posts slowly!

The vet expressed quite a bit of urine from Moo this evening. We've now booked the contrast dye procedure for Friday so we can see what exactly is going on with the suspected stricture in his urethra, and yes: it sounds like our next option will be the PU surgery, which I posted about today as well. The surgery is expected to be around $2K, but the stent, which was the alternative (aside from the other big and difficult choice) was estimated at $4K, and it's just not within our means whatsoever. Of course I've read as much as I can about the surgery - and likely will continue to read - which is good and bad, but from all my posts so far here and on FB, everyone who has chimed in has said it was the right choice to make (our difficulty with it is that Moo is not reblocking, but that the suspected stricture is preventing him from being able to fully empty his bladder).

I actually feel a strange sense of relief having some kind of plan in place now, instead of just waiting and desperately praying he gets better. The vet is concerned with the constant fullness of his bladder - I'm taking him back tomorrow to be checked/palpitated (our vet is incredible, by the way - is not charging me for this visits and is doing everything she can within in her power to keep the costs low for us). I think having real evidence of what's going on in his urethra will help make the PU decision just that much easier, and put our minds at ease.

Thanks again for listening, and for letting me ramble. The Buprenorphine is finally wearing off Moo, so he's very quiet tonight - good thing, because he's kept me up the past two nights, thus why I'm pretty incoherent at the moment.

I will be sure to update (and pick brains, I expect) as the situation evolves.

Thanks so much again!

I am so sorry for my late response! Life has been a series of unfortunate events lately, leaving me no time to be online.

How did the contrast dye go, as well as his palpitation? Did Moo end up getting PU?

I hope Moo is doing much better now, and that recovery is going smoothly.

meganandmoo

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I am so sorry for my late response! Life has been a series of unfortunate events lately, leaving me no time to be online.

How did the contrast dye go, as well as his palpitation? Did Moo end up getting PU?

I hope Moo is doing much better now, and that recovery is going smoothly.
Thanks so much for following up! The vet came to the house to check Moo the night before his contrast dye appointment and said his bladder was very small - it seemed he had been holding his urine previously as a result of the buprenorphine (part of his strange reaction to it), and that once the drug wore off, he resumed using his litterbox. After she left, he had two pretty big pees in his box, and also didn't appear to be dripping at the time, so I texted her that night and asked if she thought we should hold off on the contrast dye, given it was the first progress we'd seen all this time, and she agreed.

We watched him closely over the weekend, dabbing his penis regularly with TP to ensure he wasn't leaking. When the vet tried palpitating him again several days later, his bladder was small, and instead of pee, she squeezed diarrhea out of him. We told her he'd also had diarrhea the day before, so she recommended we switch him to a gastro food with an SO index for a couple days and give him the Flortiflora probiotics to see if he improved.

He has no longer dripping in the house, and his litterbox pees have gotten very gradually bigger.

Sadly - speaking of unfortunate events - I had a pretty bad accident on Monday requiring emergency orthopedic surgery, and my husband missed one dose of Moo's phenoxybenzamine (bladder/urethra relaxer) while I was in hospital, then didn't realize that Moo had also spit out the next dose he gave him. Moo peed in his bed while sleeping right after that, but, as soon as we administered the phenoxy again, he hasn't had an accident since.

The vet said his GI problems could be a side effect of the medications he's on, so we're now weaning him off the Gabapentin. He's still eating the gastro food and we're basically waiting to confirm he's pooping normally before following up with the vet (he escaped out the door while we were on our way to the surgeon yesterday morning, so he likely pooped outside - he's back in now, so we're waiting still).

Moo has otherwise been doing so well! It's hard to know exactly what's helped him get back to normal, but I think a big part of it is when I was able to stop stressing so much, and he was allowed to roam the house once more. We saw him drinking from his water bowl this morning for the first time in ages (we've been adding water to his food to ensure he's getting enough moisture), and my husband said he had quite a large pee in his litterbox this morning - victories!

In terms of right now, Moo's still taking phenoxybenzamine every 12 hours, and Amitriptyline once a day at night. Once we've confirmed he's having normal bowel movements, we'll work with the vet to see if we can wean him first on the Amitriptyline, then the Phenoxy, although both would be a slow and cautious process. We're meanwhile also still giving him four drops of Rescue Remedy per day, and eight drops per day of pet-formulated CBD oil, which I think is helping.

I'm just so grateful to have him back to his regular-seeming self after such a long and difficult journey - and not a moment too soon, as I'm laid up with a cast these next six weeks following foot surgery, and my husband is having a hard enough time taking care of me, haha! (Moo's been coming and laying on my chest - we're joking it's his turn now to take care of me. :))

Thank so very much for following up - it's so hard when our fur-kids are in pain, but such a relief to have a community like this to lean on!