Advice For Relatively Recent Diagnosis Of Feline Idiopathic Cystitis (fic)?

meganandmoo

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I know there's an abundance of posts on the subject, as I've spent the past several weeks poring over them, but I wanted to share our own story with a recent diagnosis of Feline Idiopathic Cystitis (FIC), and see if anyone's able to provide any support or feedback.

We adopted our neutered, two-year old male tuxedo, Moo, from a local rescue organization late August, and he has been a great fit for our family straight off the bat - he gets along great with our 10 year-old pup, and always seems super relaxed. In fact, we've constantly marvelled over how chill he is!

Since bringing him home, we fed him canned wet food twice daily, and he also grazed on a high-quality grain-free dry formula between feedings.

At the end of last month, my husband was home alone with the cat and noticed he was acting lethargic and drooling, so took him into the after-hours emergency vet. They determined after an X-ray that Moo was extremely constipated and performed an enema. I brought Moo back to the same doctor the next evening and noted I hadn't seen him pass any urine all day - the vet noted his bladder was full and, after being unable to manually express any urine, we opted for a catheter to drain him.

So began what's since been a month-long journey so far. The urinalysis showed Moo had amorphous crystals in his urine, and so we switched immediately to Hills urinary care dry food, and brought him home. He had an appointment with our regular vet in two days for his booster shot, so we planned to monitor him between and have them check his urinary health during that appointment.

Those next two days were an awful stretch of Moo straining to urinate and producing very small amounts in spite of visiting his litter box frequently. We were up with him both nights between trips to the litter box and him constantly licking his genitals, though we'd been advised by the on-call vet that as long as he was producing some urine, he'd be okay to wait until his appointment to be evaluated.

So, two days later we brought him to our regular vet, and they noted his bladder was full and recommended another catheterization, which we agreed to. The vet followed up with us later that day to advise they wanted to keep the catheter in a few days to continue running fluids through him and mitigate the chance of another blockage. Unfortunately, they forgot to cone him that night, and he ripped the catheter out himself after hours. They re-catheterized him the next morning, and he stayed at the vet with it in for two more days. It was removed the morning of the third day so they could monitor him that afternoon and ensure he was producing urine.

We picked him up that evening - he was prescribed Onsior (NSAID for inflammation), 2x daily Gabapentin for pain, a 14-day run of antibiotics (as he'd developed a UTI as a result of the catheterization, which we were advised is common in males), and Prazosin to help relax the urethra.

From there, it's been an especially slow process. I believe it was a week or so when we returned to the vet and let them know that Moo was still only having small, frequent pees, and was also incontinent (leaving non-stop pee drips and occasional puddles), but that he was otherwise behaving normally (his appetite and play mode are totally back to normal). They did an ultrasound and an exam, said he no longer appeared in pain, and that there were no concerns with his bladder or urethra. We were told we could stop the Prazosin and Gabapentin, and that the incontinence would probably resolve itself once the Prazosin worked its way out of his system.

Carrying on from there, Moo has continued to have just small pees and regular incontinence - I can actually see the urine dribbling from his penis. His cone remains on because he's constantly trying to lick his genitals. We returned to the vet on December 21, and they reported his ultrasound and urine specific gravity were normal, but they wanted to run a culture because they suspected his symptoms were the result of a UTI. In the meantime, he received another week of Onsior for inflammation (he received his last dose tonight).

Back to the vet on Christmas Eve, and we were advised there's no bacteria in Moo's culture, and that in fact he appears to have Feline Idiopathic Cystitis - no obvious cause for his difficulties. We were directed to resume the Gabapentin every 12 hours, and he also received an prescription for 10 days of Amitriptyline, with the thought that perhaps the antidepressant (which I understand is also analgesic and anti-inflammatory) will help to get him over the hump so we can get into maintenance mode.

So we noticed as of Christmas Day that Moo suddenly wasn't using his litter box. By the evening, fearful of a blockage, I gave him a Prazosin and slept beside him - when I woke at 6:30 the towel he slept on was soaked with urine, which indicated no blockage. Still, he was withholding his urine during the day, and so yesterday morning we headed out to grab a new litter box and type of litter and, after some coaxing, he has started to use the box again. We've also been taking him outside for short stints so he can get some stimulation (he's cordoned off in the guest room with all the furniture literally covered in plastic), and during his time outside he's done a few small pees as well. That said, all his pees continue to be small and frequent, and he is still dribbling urine. He'll receive his fourth Amitriptyline at bed tonight - I think the antidepressant is now beginning to build in his system, as he seems more spaced out than usual (which makes my heart heavy, as it's difficult to see him in that state, in spite of knowing it will benefit him ultimately).

In terms of other modifications, we switched Moo to an all-wet Royal Canin Urinary S/O diet within days after the first blockage, and as of yesterday, are mixing raw food into his canned food in order to transition him to a raw diet (something we've had great success with with our dog and, in my reading, is said to help tremendously with urinary issues in cats).

To his food, we add a urinary care tonic for pets (contains juniper, parsley root, uva ursi leaf, marshmallow root, lobelia, ginger root, goldenseal root and couchgrass), 1/4 teaspoon glucosamine (I understand it helps to rebuild the bladder lining), Pet Rescue Remedy, and a 1/4 D-Mannose powder (though I've stopped it now, due to the absence of bacteria in his culture).

We've also added a Feliway diffuser to his room, bought him a new bed for comfort and are diligent about scooping his box as soon as he pees and changing out the towels and bedding he sleeps on daily (due to the dribbling).

Apologies for the length here, but this has been a long and exhausting process - just as we think we've made progress, it feels like we take three steps back. I understand that dealing with the symptoms of FIC are complex, and that it's not an overnight solution. I suppose the most difficult part is that he showed no visible signs prior to that first episode of constipation. With being such a relaxed boy right from the get-go, the diagnosis of stress is just so mystifying. Our thoughts are that he's either suffering the memory of some kind of trauma we're not aware of from his former life, or that the trauma of being at the vet those five days, and in and out regularly since, has caused, as the vet suggested, a kind of psychological pain loop that's making him fearful of urinating again...in which case, patience is our only avenue.

It troubles us to have to have him shut in his own room, but it became the most logical option due to the damage to the home (and my slow unravelling cleaning up urine every waking moment) - though we do spend as much time in the room with him as possible (I even do healing energy and crystal work on him a couple times a day). I'm also thinking I may pick him up some hemp oil tomorrow to help with the anxiety, although from what I've read so far, the results are varied.

I'm just wondering if anyone has any advice to weigh in here (in addition to all the valuable reading I've been doing on the site already), or has any recommendations we may have overlooked as we lay the foundation for his healing?

I really am appreciative of any insight or suggestions, and also appreciate you taking the time to read our long-winded account. Thanks kindly in advance!

denice

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Wow it sounds like you are doing everything. In fact I was going to suggest the glucosamine and reread your post, you are using that already. This is a vexing issue because no one is really completely sure what causes it. I think your vet may be on to something with the loop thing which means it may just take time. Have you changed everything about his litter box, the box, type of box and litter. Sometimes a cat will associate the pain with the box and changing everything about it will help. Regular vigorous play sessions may help. It will drain energy and provide an outlet for natural hunting instincts. I know Jackson Galaxy recommends doing that before meals because it mimics 'hunting' then eating.

di and bob

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I'll pray for that sweet boy, you are truly his angel on earth to go through all this. The meds he is on now will eventually be gotten used to, and hopefully he'll return to his old personality. I feel so sorry for him (and you!). His urethra is most likely inflamed from the cath and will subside in time so it may help with his dribbling. If you are worried about blockage, remember, palpate, or feel deeply into his lower abdomen. Blockage will definitely expand his bladder and it will feel like an orange in there. If he is clearing enough urine there it will feel normal. This may ease your mind in the middle of the night! It may be a good idea to feel him several times now, to get him used to it and know what 'normal' is. All the luck!

sonrisa46

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I feel for you. My baby Biscuit was diagnosed with FIC 11/9/18 and blocked on 12/13/18. He would do what we now call "the litter box tango"-he was in the box dribble, out of the box, back in the box dribble and this is all he would do all day and night. I don't think he slept because of this. We've done the same overthinking as you. We read all the blogs and all the posts on this site. We also wondered what could be stressing him out, as me, my husband, and old dog are the most low key, chill, relaxed group. We keep the litter box clean (scooping twice a day on week days when we were working and almost hourly on the weekends when we were home), we feed him on the kitchen table instead of next to the dog, made the move to Hills C/D wet food, bought a water fountain, kept his stress level low, bought a Feliway diffuser and nothing seemed to keep him from doing "the litter box tango".

Hemp oil did help, but only lasted for about 3 hours in my guy (I used True Hemp Calming oil. It says its for dogs, but it is safe for cats as well). My vet ended up prescribing Fluoxetine (Prozac). He gets a compounded cream which I rub in his ear daily. Did I want him to be on pharmaceuticals for life? No, which is why I tried the hemp oil before I gave in. I couldn't bear seeing my baby spend his days in and out of a box. He wasn't playing anymore, he wasn't having any sort of life other than pacing and using his box. We were to the point where we talked about euthanasia because his quality of life was so bad. I accepted that he needed the Prozac and it has been a game changer. He's the sweet little guy I adopted. He's exactly who he was before the FIC took over his life. It took about 3 weeks for it to kick in. You may want to talk to your vet about it. What worked for my guy, might not work for yours, but it really helped his quality of life. If you need someone to talk to about going through this, I'm here for you. It's an incredible frustrating illness, and I'm sending all the love and support your way.

Olivercoyne

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I have been experiencing almost the exact same path that you have been with my guy, Oliver. His troubles started in August.

Three trips to the ER (thank goodness no blockages), we started him on the Prazosin in early September.
FLUTD was diagnosed in early November.
He ended up having EColi (which was so bizarre as he is strictly an indoor cat), and was on antibotics for 30 days,
During all these months, incontinence issues were up and down, up and down.

Oh yeh, he also has Stage two CKD, and we recently started him on Sub Q to hydrate him, which stresses him out even more, which causes slight flare ups, which causes him to be even more incontinent.

Fast forward to 3 weeks ago. We finally took him off the Prazosin, and we were hopeful that the incontinence would stop, or at a minimum slow down. I was giving him his Sub Q, accidentally hit the muscle, and he freaked out and hid from me for two days.
That caused him an extreme amount of stress. Then we hosted the holiday, which caused him even MORE stress (even though we confined him to his own space).

He is now basically only using the litter box to poop. We are lucky if he uses his box to pee every 24-36 hours to urinate.
He is leaking urine, or fully releasing his bladder when he is laying on one of his pee pads or beds.

He isn't blocked because he is indeed leaking or releasing on the pee pads.
He dribbles when he walks, he dribbles when he sits, you name it.

I am at a loss.
We have pee pads covering every square inch of the carpet where he sits or lays in an effort to catch the urine and to at least see what he is doing.

I am leaving town for 4 days, and will have our kitty sitter coming by two times a day to feed and monitor him.
She will have strict instructions to take him to the emergency vet immediately if something seems off with him. I also plan on having her give him gabapentin with each visit so relax him while I am gone (who know what will stress him out while I am gone).

We go see Oliver's internal medicine doctor the day after we get home, and I am not sure what our next steps will be.

I feel the heartache and pain that everyone else feels.
It makes you feel helpless when you feel like you are doing everything you possibly can do.
*sigh*

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

meganandmoo

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Wow it sounds like you are doing everything. In fact I was going to suggest the glucosamine and reread your post, you are using that already. This is a vexing issue because no one is really completely sure what causes it. I think your vet may be on to something with the loop thing which means it may just take time. Have you changed everything about his litter box, the box, type of box and litter. Sometimes a cat will associate the pain with the box and changing everything about it will help. Regular vigorous play sessions may help. It will drain energy and provide an outlet for natural hunting instincts. I know Jackson Galaxy recommends doing that before meals because it mimics 'hunting' then eating.
Thank you so much! We did actually change his litterbox and litter brand on Boxing Day, as he had been refusing to use his box altogether - luckily, he's using it again (I've been rewarding him with a "treat", aka a Hills Urinary Care kibble, which seemed to work, as he's very food motivated!). I'm also glad to report we had a good play session tonight - he hasn't really been into playing much lately, so it was a surprise this evening! Buying a catnip pouch for him seemed to help, as it got him a bit frisky! I think the biggest issue now is the dribbling and the licking, because it means he can't leave his room, nor can we leave him unmonitored without his cone for long periods.

Thank you so much for your reply! I'm dearly hoping his meds start to result in some positive results!

meganandmoo

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I'll pray for that sweet boy, you are truly his angel on earth to go through all this. The meds he is on now will eventually be gotten used to, and hopefully he'll return to his old personality. I feel so sorry for him (and you!). His urethra is most likely inflamed from the cath and will subside in time so it may help with his dribbling. If you are worried about blockage, remember, palpate, or feel deeply into his lower abdomen. Blockage will definitely expand his bladder and it will feel like an orange in there. If he is clearing enough urine there it will feel normal. This may ease your mind in the middle of the night! It may be a good idea to feel him several times now, to get him used to it and know what 'normal' is. All the luck!
Thank you so very much! That is great advice about palpitating him, I'll start getting us both used to it. The reading I'm doing has said it takes at least seven days for the meds to build in the system, and we're only on day 5 tonight, so I am optimistic they do their work (especially as he seems so normal otherwise!). I dearly appreciate the prayers, thank you!

meganandmoo

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I feel for you. My baby Biscuit was diagnosed with FIC 11/9/18 and blocked on 12/13/18. He would do what we now call "the litter box tango"-he was in the box dribble, out of the box, back in the box dribble and this is all he would do all day and night. I don't think he slept because of this. We've done the same overthinking as you. We read all the blogs and all the posts on this site. We also wondered what could be stressing him out, as me, my husband, and old dog are the most low key, chill, relaxed group. We keep the litter box clean (scooping twice a day on week days when we were working and almost hourly on the weekends when we were home), we feed him on the kitchen table instead of next to the dog, made the move to Hills C/D wet food, bought a water fountain, kept his stress level low, bought a Feliway diffuser and nothing seemed to keep him from doing "the litter box tango".

Hemp oil did help, but only lasted for about 3 hours in my guy (I used True Hemp Calming oil. It says its for dogs, but it is safe for cats as well). My vet ended up prescribing Fluoxetine (Prozac). He gets a compounded cream which I rub in his ear daily. Did I want him to be on pharmaceuticals for life? No, which is why I tried the hemp oil before I gave in. I couldn't bear seeing my baby spend his days in and out of a box. He wasn't playing anymore, he wasn't having any sort of life other than pacing and using his box. We were to the point where we talked about euthanasia because his quality of life was so bad. I accepted that he needed the Prozac and it has been a game changer. He's the sweet little guy I adopted. He's exactly who he was before the FIC took over his life. It took about 3 weeks for it to kick in. You may want to talk to your vet about it. What worked for my guy, might not work for yours, but it really helped his quality of life. If you need someone to talk to about going through this, I'm here for you. It's an incredible frustrating illness, and I'm sending all the love and support your way.
Oh wow, you guys have been so through much already as well with this condition - I am super appreciative of the advice! In my reading so far, my understanding is that Amitriptyline (as a TCA) has the same overall action as an SSRI like Prozac, but if the Amitriptyline doesn't result in the effect we hoped (it was prescribed because of its anti-inflammatory and analgesic effect as well), I'll definitely speak to our vet about Prozac as an option. I am so glad to hear the Prozac worked well for you - I keep just praying that our own boy will fully return to his former fuzzball self! Thank you againaga much for sharing your experience and your advice, I really appreciate it!

meganandmoo

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I have been experiencing almost the exact same path that you have been with my guy, Oliver. His troubles started in August.

Three trips to the ER (thank goodness no blockages), we started him on the Prazosin in early September.
FLUTD was diagnosed in early November.
He ended up having EColi (which was so bizarre as he is strictly an indoor cat), and was on antibotics for 30 days,
During all these months, incontinence issues were up and down, up and down.

Oh yeh, he also has Stage two CKD, and we recently started him on Sub Q to hydrate him, which stresses him out even more, which causes slight flare ups, which causes him to be even more incontinent.

Fast forward to 3 weeks ago. We finally took him off the Prazosin, and we were hopeful that the incontinence would stop, or at a minimum slow down. I was giving him his Sub Q, accidentally hit the muscle, and he freaked out and hid from me for two days.
That caused him an extreme amount of stress. Then we hosted the holiday, which caused him even MORE stress (even though we confined him to his own space).

He is now basically only using the litter box to poop. We are lucky if he uses his box to pee every 24-36 hours to urinate.
He is leaking urine, or fully releasing his bladder when he is laying on one of his pee pads or beds.

He isn't blocked because he is indeed leaking or releasing on the pee pads.
He dribbles when he walks, he dribbles when he sits, you name it.

I am at a loss.
We have pee pads covering every square inch of the carpet where he sits or lays in an effort to catch the urine and to at least see what he is doing.

I am leaving town for 4 days, and will have our kitty sitter coming by two times a day to feed and monitor him.
She will have strict instructions to take him to the emergency vet immediately if something seems off with him. I also plan on having her give him gabapentin with each visit so relax him while I am gone (who know what will stress him out while I am gone).

We go see Oliver's internal medicine doctor the day after we get home, and I am not sure what our next steps will be.

I feel the heartache and pain that everyone else feels.
It makes you feel helpless when you feel like you are doing everything you possibly can do.
*sigh*
I am so very sorry to hear how difficult this has been for you as well - we're sending our prayers for Mr. Oliver. My reading hashas s Prazosin can take many weeks to clear from the body, so we're wondering if that could also be the reason for Moo's continued incontinence.

The leaking is a major challenge, I don't think I've done so much laundry in my life, and we went and splurged on the $50 gallon of Urine Destroyer because we've had to run so many urine-soaked blankets and towels through the wash. This truly is a difficult condition, but we aren't willing to give up. I just have to keep reminding myself there's some reason for it all, even if it's not obvious. Sending you heartfelt, positive thoughts!

Olivercoyne

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I am so very sorry to hear how difficult this has been for you as well - we're sending our prayers for Mr. Oliver. My reading hashas s Prazosin can take many weeks to clear from the body, so we're wondering if that could also be the reason for Moo's continued incontinence.

The leaking is a major challenge, I don't think I've done so much laundry in my life, and we went and splurged on the $50 gallon of Urine Destroyer because we've had to run so many urine-soaked blankets and towels through the wash. This truly is a difficult condition, but we aren't willing to give up. I just have to keep reminding myself there's some reason for it all, even if it's not obvious. Sending you heartfelt, positive thoughts!
I appreciate the prayers more than you know - I am not ready to give up on him. He will let me know when he is ready, and he hasn't let me know that it is time yet. I will know. We will get through this hump.

The doctor actually said up to 3 weeks or longer for Prazosin to get out of their little bodies. It is some strong stuff. It has been exactly three weeks today for us, but there is something else going on with Oliver. We are dealing with new issues now. Not sure what they are.

For the urine, we found some stuff called "Biozyme All Natural Organic Pet stain and Odor Eliminator". The brand is Clean up and it is made in Oregon. You put it on the urine or stain and walk away. That's it. Also put it in the laundry. It has been a lifesaver. It isn't cheap, but it has saved us. They also have a website if you are interested.

Prayers and positivity to you as well. Thank you for the kind, kind words.

ManekiNekko

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Just wanted to send good wishes to everyone dealing with FIC. I got on the forum again today just to read about FIC again since my FIC cat has been in and out of the litter box for an hour this morning - his first major flare-up since the end of October.

meganandmoo

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I appreciate the prayers more than you know - I am not ready to give up on him. He will let me know when he is ready, and he hasn't let me know that it is time yet. I will know. We will get through this hump.

The doctor actually said up to 3 weeks or longer for Prazosin to get out of their little bodies. It is some strong stuff. It has been exactly three weeks today for us, but there is something else going on with Oliver. We are dealing with new issues now. Not sure what they are.

For the urine, we found some stuff called "Biozyme All Natural Organic Pet stain and Odor Eliminator". The brand is Clean up and it is made in Oregon. You put it on the urine or stain and walk away. That's it. Also put it in the laundry. It has been a lifesaver. It isn't cheap, but it has saved us. They also have a website if you are interested.

Prayers and positivity to you as well. Thank you for the kind, kind words.
Thank you for the tip on the cleaner! And yes, the Prazosin seems to be taking ages to clear out - we stopped it December 14, and our boy us still having accidents (so about two weeks now). We're patiently waiting for the dribbling and incontinence to subside.

Your kitty is lucky to have you fighting for him. We're likewise determined to get our boy healthy and well again, too.

meganandmoo

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Just wanted to send good wishes to everyone dealing with FIC. I got on the forum again today just to read about FIC again since my FIC cat has been in and out of the litter box for an hour this morning - his first major flare-up since the end of October.
Such a challenging condition - my well wishes your boy makes a speedy recovery!

meganandmoo

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I wanted to post an update on our boy and see about potential further advice.

Behaviourally, Moo's back to his old self, and has been for weeks - huge appetite, loves playing, and just wants to be with us all the time. Unfortunately, he is still experiencing small/frequent pees, and is constantly dripping urine. The vet saw him yesterday and confirmed he's not blocked, and is somewhat perplexed as to why he could be dripping still and releasing his bladder in his sleep.

I'm picking up a new antispasmodic prescription later today (I can't recall the name, but it's not Prazosin, which he was on previously, and which we had taken him off of to see if it would stop the dripping), and essentially we're going to see if, between that and the Amitriptyline, the urination/dripping improves over the next couple weeks.

The other consideration is that he may have scar tissue in his urethra as a result of the catheterizations, but she said the only way to check this would be seeing a specialist for a contrast dye test, which wouldn't be cheap. The logical solution to a narrowed urethra as a result of scar tissue would be PU surgery, but the thing is, in all the reading I've been doing (which has been a TON), some folks say it took their cat a couple months to regain proper control of their bladder, and so we're really hesitant to jump aboard the surgery (particularly given the cost and recovery time) if there's a possibility this will resolve in time.

There's also the fact his symptoms are idiopathic at this point (his urine is sterile), and it's hard to say if the surgery would in fact change anything around his actual habits.

I guess at this point we're just hopeful that the new antispasmodic, combined with continuing the antidepressant, will stop the dripping and enable him to have full and proper pees, as all our poor boy wants to do is be near to us (which is hard when we have to keep him in his own room for the most part as a result of the leaking).

I'm just wondering if anyone has had a similar experience with their kitty being otherwise recovered, but still having dripping/not entirely normal urinations?

Thanks again in advance, all! I really do appreciate all the valuable advice I've received here!