One year checkup: Questions to ask vet

Juniper_Junebug

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
My kitty (15-ish months) will be going in for her yearly checkup next week, including to get her rabies shot. Since my vet is still not letting people inside, I'm trying to understand all the things I should be prepared to ask in the few minutes I have on the phone with the vet/tech before and after the appointment. Just as an example, do I need to ask them to look at her teeth? Check her lymph nodes (she did have idiopathic inflammation back in January)? This is my first cat.

My vet gets great reviews but I have the sense they focus more on dogs, and I feel like if I just hand her over without asking any questions, I will have no idea what they've done and not done. It doesn't help my confidence level that when I called to set up the appointment they did not have a tickler in their records showing that she needed her rabies shot (per local law); I had to explain to them the timing.

StanAndAlf

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I'm just going to write a description of what the vets at my clinic do at each yearly check up, before vaccinating the animal, and unprompted by the owner, so you can get an idea of what your vet should be doing.

Basically the animal must pass a basic health test before the vet deems them fit for vaccination. The vet will listen to their heart and lungs to make sure there are no detectable abnormalities such as a heart murmur of mucous build up. They will check the gums and capillary refill times, as well as palpate the abdomen to feel for any abnormalities there such as hernias. They also inspect their ears and eyes for any signs of infection.

A dental check is a must IMO and my vet also gives me a body score so I know if my boys are a healthy weight or not. They will generally also check reflexes, make sure their joints bend properly and freely without pain.

If everything goes smoothly, then they will give the vaccination.

If you have had issues with your cat's lymph nodes in the past then yes, I would get those checked as well, though usually an ultrasound is needed to get a definitive answer for that sort of thing.

klunick

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
The vet should do a head to tail exam so unless there is something specific you want/need to look at, you shouldn't need to tell them anything in regards of what to check.

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Your best bet is to call the vet in advance and ask them to list all the things they do in a standard yearly check up. That way you will know for sure, and if something you thought of isn't included, you can ask them about it at that time. You can also ask for a copy of the vet's notes after the appointment is compete. Most vets will be happy to email them to you when they've completed them.

susanm9006

Willow
Top Cat
Purraise
Send a poop sample in with your cat so they can check or recheck for parasites. Ask the vet to give their opinion on your cat’s weight so you can start adjusting their diet if they are too light or weigh too much. I would ask how frequently she needs to have her teeth cleaned. It’s expensive so you can plan and save in advance.

Heart For Cats

Cat Lover Forever
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I sometimes send in a list of questions and concerns with the animal. When the vet calls, I then refer to my copy to make sure that nothing is missed.
At my veterinary practice, technicians are trained to always ask clients if they have any specific questions or concerns after weighing their patients. My answers are written down so the vet knows what to discuss and look at before he sees me. I love how they do that.