One week old kittens and first time neonate foster (Concerning low weight gain)

Merlin&Banjo'smom

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I have a mom and six babies. Today is their 1 week mark. So far everyone was gaining 10 g (well above sometimes) but today my smallest two only gained 3 g (she's at 202) and 5g (she's at 187 g). everyone else gained 8-11 g. How concerning is this and when should I consider bottle feeding. My coordinater says not to worry until there are a few day of loss or other issues. The babies nursed til the fell asleep last time i watched, but spent a considerable time fighting for their preffered spots. I will take any and all advice because I am such a nervous nellie.

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
The kittens sound fine, including the two who gained less. First, at one week old they only need to weigh about 4 ounces, and both weigh 6 ounces or more. Second, kittens tend to grow and gain, then plateau for a couple days, then gain more. Weight gain may be steady for some and not for others.

Next, with 6 kittens, there are going to be one or two runts. This is normal. Runts tend to be smaller, but as long as they are gaining and not losing, most runts eventually catch up. I had a runt from a pregnant stray I took in who ended up becoming the biggest cat of all.

As long as these kittens are gaining they should not need supplementing. If they begin to actually lose weight, they may need supplementing. You can also put them to nipples while the bigger kittens are sleeping so they get a chance to nurse extra without the fighting over nipples.

If you do need to supplement, be advised that many kittens with a mom will not take a bottle and do better with syringe feeding with a Miracle Nipple attached to the syringe.

For future reference, kittens should weigh about 8 ounces (or more) at 2 weeks, 12 ounces at 3 weeks, and a pound at one month. They should then continue to gain about a pound a month (or more) for the next few months until reaching adulthood.

Keep in mind this is slightly variable depending on if the kitten is male or female and overall build in general. Males tend to be larger than females, but not always.

I hope this helps. Thank you for fostering and do keep us posted!

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Also, to add, here is a link to Miracle Nipples that attach to a syringe. Good to have on hand!

Miracle Nipples

Also available on Amazon. Also, if you ever foster a literal newborn that is too weak to suckle, you use just a tiny 1mL syringe with no nipple, and give drop by drop in the side of the mouth, always tummy down and allow time for kitten to swallow and breathe in between drops. Very time consuming but keeps them alive.

And, here’s a helpful video:

Syringe Feeding — Kitten Lady

Again, best of luck! M Merlin&Banjo'smom

Last edited:

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Excellent advices above.

to summarize: One day or two of less gain is common; you can wait and see. (unless you see other symptoms as well, of course). But of course, watch as a hawk.

As you DO notice there is quite a much ruckkus, it may be an idea to rotate them. Let these smallest have their own momma time, while biggies are sleeping midday nap. And vice versa.

This is a common trick with bigger litters.

Wise to prepare for extra handfeeding; but try the rotation method at first.

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Ps. If you are hesitant with buying the rather pricey KMR in powder (what if its not necessary), you can always begin with buiying in goats milk... It works well in a pinch. Also, goats milk you can drink yourself, with the coffe if nothing else. :)

Or you can spare the unopened kmr till later on; momma will probably need extra calcium when the kittens grow up and are taking lotsa of her milk...

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Merlin&Banjo'smom

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Thank you guys! I feel like I'm the first time mom lol, I feel a lot more at ease hearing from you guys and knowing that this is normal and not overly concerning