One Problem And Then Another

Gr8fulcatlady

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
i have had kittens and cats my whole life and I have never had any of these problems before. First it was ring worm. Then fleas. Now they are peeing in my bed everyday, I am starting to doubt my choice in getting these kittens. I have not owned a real bed in years as ai have been traveling on a shoestring and put out a good amount of money having my own place and new beds and a couch. Now every single day they pee on my bed and/or couch. I have used white vinegar, baking soda enzyme killer natures miracle baking soda. Pissed they ruined a 500$ brand new bed. And the fleas are like nothing I’ve ever seen, nothing is working. Tried sentry now Revolution, flea dirt everywhere. Gross, never had any of these things with other cats. Flea blood in my washing machine! Also the cats got fleas from bringing them to the vet!

di and bob

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Keep using the Revolution and get some indoor flea killer for your house and their bedding, the fleas are returning because they take so long to hatch from the eggs around the house. Vacuum everything you can frequently and suck up some flea spray to kill the eggs in there. Don't let them outside, they may be picking them up out there. Get a good enzyme spray for where they pee, taht is made to actually eat the urine and is much easier, you just soak the area. Go to a hardware store, carpet store or look online to purchase some clear plastic carpet protector runner with those little nubs on the back. Cut and put it on the bed and couch and where they are peeing, it hurts their feet so they won't go there. They have to be broken of the habit of going there. The runner is easily removed so you can use the bed, I myself would soak the bed with cat urine enzyme cleaner and keep them out of that room, they will cry for a while but it is worth it not to ruin your bed. Get a mattress protector taht is waterproof, they make them for all sizes and are for kids that go at night (or older adults). I got mine at Walmart when my grandson was small and it saves your mattress from soaking up the urine, get one for the couch too! Change the litter, and/or box, there has to be a reason they aren't using it. They may be stressed out from all the ringworm, flea treatments. Get some cat litter box attract for the litter.
I know how frustrating this is, but it WILL only be temporary. They will get older and get over this. I know it doesn't seem like it now but all this hard work will pay off. If you work or are gone for long periods, you may have to confine them to a room and not let them roam. Don't yell at them, it only adds to their stress, think of them as babies that don't know any better.Yelling after the fact does absolutely no good, they don't understand what they have done to deserve losing your love. You have to catch them in the act and put them firmly in the litter box and give them a 5 minute time out, away from all the action. I know it's hard, but come here to release your stress, believe me, we have all been there at one time! Keep thinking.... this WILL pass!
PS have they been neutered/spayed? All those hormone changes can bring about this too, maybe find another vet that is a little cleaner. But if they are treated with a topical, they should be all right. Good luck!

Last edited:
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter

Gr8fulcatlady

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Thank you, yes I vented here to save my friendships as well as to avoid yelling at them, lol. Thank you for the advice of the plastic runner. I have bed soaking in enzymes now...I hate to leave them confined when I go to work...it stresses them out! But it looks like I may have no choice. They poop in the litter box, they just stopped peeing in it(at least one of them).

ArtNJ

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Plastic runner sounds logical, but it may be enough just to strip the bed in the morning and put the bedding in the closet. Cats usually chose a bed because the comforter is the right texture, they can kneed it beneath their paws, gives the illusion they can cover the waste. Without the comforter, it may stop. Get them back on track, in a couple of weeks you can bring the comforter back.

Just make sure you are thinking of the other likely targets, things that can be kneaded with the paws, because they may switch. No laundry lying around, now shower towels left on the floor or counter, that sort of thing. Bath mat hung up, especially if its wet from a shower. If you have kids, watch the piles of stuffed animals on a bed or floor. Take care of the likely targets, get em retrained on the box, and the problem will go away in a bit. Kittens often have a period like this, usually nothing to worry about long term if you address it now.

Last edited: