One Funky Cat Ear

sashley

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise

So I recently rescued this sweet little tabby from the Meijer parking lot. She had been stuck under the extra carts for about a week according to the employees and they couldn’t get her out. I sat for an hour and half tossing her turkey and getting her closer and closer to me until she eventually ended up in my lap. I haven’t been able to get her to the vet yet, our vet is about an hour away. She’s also my very very first cat EVER! So this is such a fun and exciting experience, as I have ALWAYS wanted a cat. She has adjusted very very well to our home, the first night home she snuggles and purred and slept with me in the bed! I would never have known she was a stray if I didn’t save her myself lol She’s super energetic, loves to play, loves my two little girls (1 year and 3 years old) she has also taken up SUPER well with my husband and he was more than apprehensive about bringing a cat into our home. She is having trouble with our puppers though. I have an 8lb papillon who is scared of EVERYTHING, including her lol it doesn’t help that at night she “hunts” him in the bed. I gently move her and gently say “no Nix” (we have named her Nix after Stevie Nicks!) I did lose her for about 2 hours the other day but she was asleep in a couch flap it was pretty funny.

but the first thing I noticed about her was her ear!! It’s like permanently bent at the tip. I looked it up and can’t find anything other than “tipping” on stray cats but it’s not tipped, just bent! Does anyone else have a little tabby or a cat with a bent ear tip?? It doesn’t seem to bother her at all but for some reason it does seem to mess with her ear mobility as she can’t twist that one backwards as far as the other ear. She hasn’t scratched at it or anything if that nature!

sorry for the long winded opening! I’m just SUPER excited to have her in our little family! She is the perfect fit and just SO SWEET!!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

sashley

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
CB75E764-A98C-4AF1-84BD-1B21673807AD.jpeg
84F93A5B-1E66-4738-9959-334F97F3145F.jpeg
84D85EC9-B3AE-4986-9CC4-BD7A8B74DCD9.jpeg
Our first night home!

sashley

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
she is beautiful!!!
Thank you so much!!! I’m sooooo in love with her!! Her little belly spots and stripes are sooo striking and gorgeous!!!

sashley

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Here markings are amazing and that face is to die for
Thank you!! From what I can tell she is pretty unique, yes a typical tabby, but still has her own very striking features!! Her belly spots are SOOOOOOO STINKING COOL LOOKING!! I wish I could get a picture of them, they’re a mix of light and dark brown with black. It’s sooooo neat! Her little ear though, makes my heart pitter patter every time I see it!

lutece

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
She's very pretty! I've seen pictures of of other kittens with one slightly "crumpled" or curled ear tip like hers, that had random birth defects affecting the cartilage of the ear. I imagine that it could have also have been caused by an injury when she was little. I wouldn't worry about her health, as I'm not aware of any correlation with health issues.

lutece

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Thank you!! From what I can tell she is pretty unique, yes a typical tabby, but still has her own very striking features!! Her belly spots are SOOOOOOO STINKING COOL LOOKING!! I wish I could get a picture of them, they’re a mix of light and dark brown with black. It’s sooooo neat! Her little ear though, makes my heart pitter patter every time I see it!
She does have very pretty markings. Her color would be described as brown mackerel tabby. Belly spots are a normal part of the mackerel tabby pattern. Some people call them "vest buttons" :) Enjoy her!

Sidewinder

"Say what, crackerhead?"
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Aww, looks like a miniature version of my cat Tiger, whose markings are quite similar. I wouldn't worry too much about the ear if there's no obvious problem, it doesn't seem to bother the cat... I'm with Lutece on this one, birth defect or injury, perhaps the ear got caught between a couple of those carts you mentioned when the kitty was young, and now it's a little out of whack. Meh, just adds character in my book, that's a splendid young cat you rescued and she is lucky to have such a loving owner. CHEERS!!! :petcat:

will2002

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Such a beautiful little girl she is. Thank you for taking the time to rescue her. May you two have many happy years together.

Oh yeah… quit showing all of those beautiful pictures of her with that "special" little ear or else all of the kittens/cats that view this forum will want one just exactly like it.

sashley

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
She's very pretty! I've seen pictures of of other kittens with one slightly "crumpled" or curled ear tip like hers, that had random birth defects affecting the cartilage of the ear. I imagine that it could have also have been caused by an injury when she was little. I wouldn't worry about her health, as I'm not aware of any correlation with health issues.
Thank you!! I’m hoping it’s a birth defect and not a small little injury. Small or not, injuries hurt and thinking of her in pain makes my heart so sad

sashley

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
She does have very pretty markings. Her color would be described as brown mackerel tabby. Belly spots are a normal part of the mackerel tabby pattern. Some people call them "vest buttons" :) Enjoy her!
Thank you for telling me that!!! Vest buttons is the cutest thing I’ve heard all day!

sashley

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Aww, looks like a miniature version of my cat Tiger, whose markings are quite similar. I wouldn't worry too much about the ear if there's no obvious problem, it doesn't seem to bother the cat... I'm with Lutece on this one, birth defect or injury, perhaps the ear got caught between a couple of those carts you mentioned when the kitty was young, and now it's a little out of whack. Meh, just adds character in my book, that's a splendid young cat you rescued and she is lucky to have such a loving owner. CHEERS!!! :petcat:
I agree! Adds character to her already blooming and splendid personality!!

sashley

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Such a beautiful little girl she is. Thank you for taking the time to rescue her. May you two have many happy years together.

Oh yeah… quit showing all of those beautiful pictures of her with that "special" little ear or else all of the kittens/cats that view this forum will want one just exactly like it.

Thank you!! She’s currently in front of me sleeping farting like CRAZY bless her heart, I hope her belly doesn’t hurt.

zed xyzed

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Thank you!! She’s currently in front of me sleeping farting like CRAZY bless her heart, I hope her belly doesn’t hurt.
if she is farting she is eating something she shouldn't or could have parasites. What food are you feeding her? Also as you mentioned try to get her to a vet as soon as possible to get checked out and de-wormed

sashley

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise

She’s been eating this, Today was the first day I noticed her farting.
I will definitely be getting her to the vet ASAP for a check up, shots, worming after everything else. I will feel terrible if I got her something that’s making her belly hurt!
I’ve never had a cat before, so I’m not sure I’m doing anything right

zed xyzed

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

She’s been eating this, Today was the first day I noticed her farting.
I will definitely be getting her to the vet ASAP for a check up, shots, worming after everything else. I will feel terrible if I got her something that’s making her belly hurt!
I’ve never had a cat before, so I’m not sure I’m doing anything right
We all have had a first time with a cat, you're on the right site to get all the advice you would ever want and then some. You saved the little sweet from a cruel life on the street and that is the most important thing. I found one of my boys has a bad reaction to Friskies too. I am glad you are feeding her canned food over dry; that is a great start. I would try to find a higher quality cat food if possible.

sashley

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
We all have had a first time with a cat, you're on the right site to get all the advice you would ever want and then some. You saved the little sweet from a cruel life on the street and that is the most important thing. I found one of my boys has a bad reaction to Friskies too. I am glad you are feeding her canned food over dry; that is a great start. I would try to find a higher quality cat food if possible.
What brand do you recommend? Also how many times a day should she eat? My sister told me twice, so I’ve been feeding her at 9am and 9pm but around 3-4 she seems super hungry. Like I just now found her trying to eat dog food, which I’m sure is not good for her at all

zed xyzed

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I would feed her 3 to 4 times a day. I would also supplement with taurine. Yes dog food is not good for her, maybe that is why she is gassy too