One Cat Or Two??

Erin80

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I am in the process of trying to convince my husband that we need one more cat.....we have one right now. She's 15 weeks old. I found the cat I want at PetSmart (through the humane society). He's a 1 1/2 year old brown tabby....just a typical looking cat but his personality is so awesome! I'm not one to care what a kitty looks like, I watch for the personality I'm looking for.

How many cats do you have?
Are two better than one? I'd have to think so.

kashmir64

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Honestly, if it were me, I would get another kitten around the same age as your 15 week old. They will get along instantly and keep each other entertained.
I have never had less than 2 (usually more) since I was little. I currently have 2 which are sisters. But if I got a kitten now, my older one would eat it. This is something you need to consider with an adult cat and kitten situation.
Since you have a kitten, I would get a kitten. Just my opinion.

Notacrazycatlady

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
When I found Leo, he was just about 12 weeks and I had a 10 month old and my niece's two and a half year old in the apartment. The older cat took a little time to warm up to the kitten, unlike the 10 month old. However, within two weeks I saw the timid, bullied, neurotic older cat initiate play with the kitten. He was actually a bit more energetic and he played more after watching the kitten playing with my 10 month old for a while. So if you like the personality of the older cat, I don't think the age difference is a non-starter. Just my two cents from my recent experience. There's 7 months between Angus and Leo but they get along great (my niece's cat went home last weekend so I'm down to just the two).

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Erin80

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
You’re probably right. I have a soft spot for older cats. Kaia is the first kitten I’ve ever adopted, all previous cats (except my Siamese) have been adopted as adults. If it weren’t for my kids wanting a kitten, I would have adopted an older cat. With kittens you never really know how they will turn out, but many adult cats are what you see is what you get....and I like that.

Kieka

Snowshoe Servant
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Kittens usually have no trouble adapting to adults. Adults though can have trouble with kittens. I'd check with the humane society about the adults energy level and if he's had interaction with kittens. If he is high energy and fine with kittens, you could be okay. If he is low energy, the kitten could annoy him and there could be trouble if the kitten is too high energy itself. Most humane society do accept cats back if it doesn't work out, you just loose the adoption fee, and since he is already over a year he doesn't miss out of prime adoptabilitiy time.

It really is one of those judgement calls on the specific cat.

As to having two, I think it is beneficial with younger kittens to have two. Energy outlet and behavior training with each other takes pressure off the humans to teach the kitten or entertain it 24/7. But some cats really don't like others. My girl did a 24 hour hunger strike and didn't even move from her hiding spot when a kitten came in our house. She doesn't like other cats in general, just her brothers. So I know I can't add any other cats to our household while my girl is with us. But my boy would absolutely love other cats and probably would make an excellent foster dad for kittens.

Willowy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
At 1/2 he should still be young enough to appreciate a kitten. It depends on his personality though.

I also think kittens should be raised in pairs or groups. Kittens who grow up without other cats (or with much older cats who ignore or dislike them) often turn out in a way that humans tend not to like.

maggie101

3 cats
Top Cat
Purraise
When I rescued Maggie,3 months old, Peaches was 1+ . They were friends. Played and slept together. I think the cats will be ok. Your cat may or may not be territorial. Younger than 5 months the kitten will not be territoria l. Never know til you try!

Erin80

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
My husband is the road block, lol. He says no to another cat. It took a long time to convince him to agree to Kaia. Our previous cat stopped using the litter box and went all over our basement carpet for months (mostly peed in the box, but always pooped on the carpet). I tried absolutely everything with him, no joke....but he refused to poop in the box. He went in his box for years without issue, and then one day just didn’t....and it went from there. So my husband has a bad taste from that (I was slightly nervous to get another after that too)....

maggie101

3 cats
Top Cat
Purraise
Hopefully having more litter boxes will help. Has your husband seen the kitten?

Erin80

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
The new kitty I want? I sent him a picture. Lol.
So far he really likes Kaia a lot....she is a super good kitten though.

veganeh

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I think it’s important for kittens to grow up with another pet in the home - it helps with their socialization. The rescue we adopted our kitten from would only adopt kittens out in pairs, or to homes that had another cat or a dog.

Ladewyn

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I would think a 1.5 yr old cat will probably still have a ton of energy! Practically still a kitten himself. As long as he doesn't have any issues, he'd probably be able to keep up with a kitten no problem.

Erin80

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Kaia isn't an overly active kitten. She's pretty quiet, has spurts of craziness but sleeps a lot or just follows me around (which I love!).

basschick

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
you know, a second cat may mean Kaia won't be following you around as much...

Erin80

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
you know, a second cat may mean Kaia won't be following you around as much...
I love her following me around :)

I don't think we will be getting a second cat. My husband won't relent :(

r0ydangit

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I echo what everyone else has said, a second cat is always great company for the first one but you have to consider the personalities first and foremost. That said, like you said is the husband! =] for me it was the same issue, my wife didn't want the second cat, until the ride home... we still have issues with the cat! let me tell you, heck it's why I'm on this board BUT, winning over your significant other, maybe find a cat that can do it, don't put the pressure on yourself so much.

maggiedemi

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I would try to get your husband to go with you to PetSmart to look at the cat. Maybe that will win him over. :)

Erin80

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I would try to get your husband to go with you to PetSmart to look at the cat. Maybe that will win him over. :)
He somehow can walk away from total cuteness and sweetness without issue. It took months to convince him on Kaia...but now he has nothing but good things to say about her

solomonar

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
In my opinion, it depends on the available time to. It takes time to go to the vet etc.

On the other hand, in my very personal opinion, having pets it is a matter of understanding each other. If somebody wants one more cat, that is rather an emotional individual approach, not a matter of couple's rational decision.

Therefore, picking one, two or more cats is a matter of individual freedom not a matter of partners agreement.

Extreme cases (hoarding) excluded, of course.

Again, this is my very personal view, not intended to serve as an advise.

RajaNMizu

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
As you can see from my avatar, I have 2. Initially, I had agreed to one because my sons have always wanted a cat and it was finally a good time to do so. I knew early on that the three of us would never agree on just one. We liked too many. However, I didn't tell them that. That forced them to agree on one while I was able to choose one as well. It worked and they were happily surprised. Win, win.