One Cat Or Two??

Kat0121

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I am in the process of trying to convince my husband that we need one more cat.....we have one right now. She's 15 weeks old. I found the cat I want at PetSmart (through the humane society). He's a 1 1/2 year old brown tabby....just a typical looking cat but his personality is so awesome! I'm not one to care what a kitty looks like, I watch for the personality I'm looking for.

How many cats do you have?
Are two better than one? I'd have to think so.
Of course two is better than one. Just like three is better than two... and so on.. :lol:

Seriously though. Two is better especially when they are young. They have each other to burn all that excess energy off with. It's also nice that they can grow up together. I agree with @Kieka about an older one. The kitten would probably be fine but a lot of older cats don't tolerate all that unbridled energy well. Some do and some don't. I'd really go with a kitten of a similar age.

You'll just have to tell hubby that he's been outvoted and that's pretty much that. ;)

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Erin80

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Of course two is better than one. Just like three is better than two... and so on.. :lol:

Seriously though. Two is better especially when they are young. They have each other to burn all that excess energy off with. It's also nice that they can grow up together. I agree with @Kieka about an older one. The kitten would probably be fine but a lot of older cats don't tolerate all that unbridled energy well. Some do and some don't. I'd really go with a kitten of a similar age.

You'll just have to tell hubby that he's been outvoted and that's pretty much that. ;)
Hahaha! I won’t do it until I get him to agree. The older cat is only 1 1/2...and he has such a great personality. With a kitten you never really know how it might turn out....though I don’t have a lot of kitten experience besides Kaia and she’s pretty awesome so far!

Purr-fect

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Absolutely get a companion for your cat.

Greg and arnold are brothers and have been together since birth. Arnold is the boss, but they play together, wrestle together, hunt together (supervised in the fenced yard), eat together, watch tv with my wife and me. They are independant, but still very much interact with each other and their lives are better for doing so. In fact I worry a little of what would happen if one were not around.

Here are just a few of the many pics I have of them together.

I will stop loading pics before I crash the website...you "get the picture". They are happier together....at this very moment, greg is "hunting" arnold in the yard.

Attachments

Erin80

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Absolutely get a companion for your cat.

Greg and arnold are brothers and have been together since birth. Arnold is the boss, but they play together, wrestle together, hunt together (supervised in the fenced yard), eat together, watch tv with my wife and me. They are independant, but still very much interact with each other and their lives are better for doing so. In fact I worry a little of what would happen if one were not around.

Here are just a few of the many pics I have of them together.

I will stop loading pics before I crash the website...you "get the picture". They are happier together....at this very moment, greg is "hunting" arnold in the yard.
They are so cute!
We adopted our second cat yesterday! A 7 month old male to go with our 4 month old female. They are already excellent friends, I can't believe how quickly they got along.

maggiedemi

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
We adopted our second cat yesterday! A 7 month old male to go with our 4 month old female. They are already excellent friends, I can't believe how quickly they got along.
Awesome! That was fast. Glad they are fast friends already. :)

vince

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Sometimes, it does go exceedingly well. It took all of two hours to introduce my two neutered males, which were both a little less than a year old (I think) at the time. Having a second cat will make it easier on you as well, especially your feet and hands. I think your cats will be happier as well.

It didn't go that quickly when I recently took in a little stray kitten, but one of my two adults has adopted her. He's especially good at giving her much-needed behavior lessons she didn't get early on, sort of like a Dutch uncle. The other male is a bit standoffish, but it's not going too badly.

Last edited:

Purr-fect

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
They are so cute!
Congratulations!!

1 bruce 1

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I am in the process of trying to convince my husband that we need one more cat.....we have one right now. She's 15 weeks old. I found the cat I want at PetSmart (through the humane society). He's a 1 1/2 year old brown tabby....just a typical looking cat but his personality is so awesome! I'm not one to care what a kitty looks like, I watch for the personality I'm looking for.

How many cats do you have?
Are two better than one? I'd have to think so.
You're asking the guy who has 11 cats. Fair warning. :lol:
Unless I have a stodgy old cat like Queen Bee who would be very happy being an "only" cat, I like multiples for, well, multiple reasons. They're good company for one another if we're away for any length of time, they play and give us entertainment, and cats (compared to the work load with pups) are "easier" when it comes to having two. Morbidly and kind of selfishly, if we lose one (either to age or disease or unexpectedly as a young cat), it's nicer to come home to another cat (or more) to greet us than to walk into a cat-less house.
The downside is cost, vet costs, food costs, potential rivalries, etc., but this hasn't stopped us from having multiples.
I'm a huge supporter of two kittens, and I'm a huge supporter of leaving a year or two between ages.
Two kittens at once are fun. They play fight, they wrastle, they pounce and act like kittens and make us fake pneumonia so we can take 6 months off work and laugh at them all day. They grow up together, they often are best buddies, and have a built in bond like litter mates.
The HUGE downside to this is they age at the same rate, at the same time, and when you're caring for two 16 year old cats it's difficult on the bank account and difficult on your emotions when you realize your odds of losing them very close together is higher than if you have a 16 year old and a 7 year old, etc.
The add on to this down side is if one should pass, the other may mourn very much if they were the only two cats in the house, but may not accept a kitten or an adult cat as "new company" (anymore than if your spouse suddenly died, you wouldn't want some random stranger of the same sex taking up in your living room as a "replacement".)
I don't want to complicate anything for anyone, but it's just some ideas and scenario's we've experienced to stew on.

1 bruce 1

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
They are so cute!
Oh SHOOT I should have read ahead again!!!
Congratulations on the new addition!
And forget my stupid post above, but hopefully it will help someone if they google and this thread comes up.
Have fun with your new kids! :thumbsup:

Erin80

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Oh SHOOT I should have read ahead again!!!
Congratulations on the new addition!
And forget my stupid post above, but hopefully it will help someone if they google and this thread comes up.
Have fun with your new kids! :thumbsup:
No worries! I had thought about them aging together....but having a couple oldies is so far away that I’m not too worried about it right now. Cross that bridge in 15 years or more!

1 bruce 1

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
No worries! I had thought about them aging together....but having a couple oldies is so far away that I’m not too worried about it right now. Cross that bridge in 15 years or more!
And they're young yet! Odds are you'll get more!
I'm a terrible influence. :thumbsup: