Omelette holding on needs further care I can not afford

Status
Not open for further replies.

kittylove53

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Hi everyone!

My six year old Kitty Omelette was seen by a local vet who is 20 miles away from me.I am 63 and on S.S.I. I have no transportation and a very tight budget. Omelette has pleural effusion which is fluid on or surrounding the lungs. The vet took an X-ray, and said she might not live the night.He gave her a shot of Lasix to help drain the fluid. I was given tablets to give her twice daily.That was on Dec.28. She is still alive. She will not eat on her own. I hand feed her. She drinks on her own.I give her Nutra-Cal to boost her immune system.She ate a little bit of dry food the other day, and a tiny bit if wet food today.I am feeding her.I have tried all day to find funding for help to save her life. This started on Christmas Day when I noticed her heavy breathing.I knew this was a disaster.This condition came about so suddenly.The day before she ate as usual and  was acting normally. The vet said these things present when this disease has already progressed very far along. He is sure she has a tumor somewhere but it could not be seen because of the fluid. I can not afford any further vet help. I live in Orange County New York,the vets around here do not do charity work. There are no animal teaching colleges around here. In fact this place is very limited in resources of any kind. I can not get Care Credit,because I won't be able to pay the monthly fees I am deeply in a financial disaster. I did not see this coming. Omelette was a rescue from people who were in less condition to treat her right,and they were told by the landlady to put her out into the street.I could not see this.I took her in.She was pregnant but I did not know this. I took the best care I could of her. She had 6 healthy kittens. She was a wonderful cat mommy. She has given me 4 wonderful years of love and affection and now this. I want to try to save her life even though the vet said it was pretty hopeless. I will not give up.I do not know where else to turn.If it is cancer I know the costs can run into a few thousand dollars with no sure cure. Even though I have had many kitties who have passed with similar conditions it does not become any easier to see a beloved pet suffer and die.I love her with all my heart and am hoping for a miracle. Thank you all for reading this.

margd

Chula and Paul's roommate
Veteran
Purraise
My heart really goes out to you and to Omelette.  it sounds like she is a very special girl  -  a real friend and companion.  It is so difficult when finances dictate how much care we can afford to give our kitties.  I've been there myself so can really sympathize with you.   In addition to the sources of financial help for vet care in the article mentioned above, you might also check out the US Humane Society's website.

http://www.humanesociety.org/animal...ry_care.html?referrer=https://www.google.com/

You might also consider starting a GoFundMe drive:  https://www.gofundme.com/  Perhaps you can get enough donations to help you pay for more vet care.

It makes me very sad to say this, but if Omelette is having problems breathing because of fluid build-up, please consider carefully her quality of life.  It is very uncomfortable to feel like you can't breathe and are drowning.  When an illness reaches this point, we really do have to stop and think about what's best for our beloved cat, to think about what they would want.  It may well be the most difficult, selfless and loving decision we ever make in our life, to end their suffering.  I'm not urging this on you by any means.  Ultimately this is your decision but if you find Omelette's illness is indeed too far along to treat, please remember that helping her pass can be as much an act of love as spending thousands of dollars to try to save her.  

I'm tearing up as I write this because I can tell Omelette means so much to you.  I do hope you can save her.  Whatever happens, please let us know.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

kittylove53

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Thank you so much for your responses.I was given Furosemide to drain the fluid from her lungs.The vet gave her a shot to start the draining. I give Omelette the medication twice daily. It has helped her breathing. She drinks, eats a bit on her own. I hand feed her to keep up weight. I also give her Nutri- Cal to boost immunity.I have written on the net to a few organizations that might help by filling out the forms provided. I hope I get an  answer.I wrote to The  Dr.Steve Abrams Memorial Foundation. Their phone # is 480-442-2511.I hope they can help others on this site. I have not heard back so I do not know what to expect or tell you all. I only know that I will do anything possible to help my Omelette.This happened so suddenly. My other  cat Obie knew something was wrong.Omelette was looking for more attention than before. After having kitties for so many years you would think you would question this.I was so pleased that she was coming over more to be petted that I just did not see it. All of a sudden on Christmas day she started breathing heavy. I knew this was a disaster. I had to wait till Dec. 28, to take her to the vet.That was when my heart sank.This baby was a rescue,I had her spayed last year hoping that would prolong her life. At least that would avoid Ovarian cancer. But alas now she has this dreaded disease.I am so heartbroken from this. I was looking forward to spring to take her and Obie out on their leashes again. Obie has lost his friend he loved to play with. She is not the same kitty.Every time I look at her I feel so helpless. Even with all the money I could hope to have no one can predict a positive outcome with cancer. I wish that it was not the case. If I could get another X-ray to see what is really going on now that some fluid has been emptied,I would know what I was dealing with.Everything at the vet is so expensive.I hope one of these foundations can help.Omelette deserves another round of life.She has given so much to me.I will keep posting on her condition. Thank you all for being there.

margd

Veteran
Purraise
I really hope one of those organizations comes through for you. 
   I'm thinking of you and Omelette and hoping for a miracle. Thanks for letting us know what's happening.  And don't forget to take care of  yourself while you deal with this.
   Kisses to Omelette. 

lavishsqualor

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I'm keeping my fingers crossed for you and Omelette too, Kittylove.

cat-tech

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Call back the vet you saw before, the one who gave you the lasix, explain you are working toward obtaining assistance, ask him in the meantime, can he re-evaluate her and tell you if the fluid needs to be drained, and how to get her eating properly again.  He may have a soft heart and may see her - Just CALL him, right away.

kittylove53

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Thank all of you for your interest in my Omelette. I will call the vet again to ask for a re-evaluation.Omelette is eating just a bit unaided, and I hand feed her. It is very hard to do this but I will not give up. I am hoping to hear back from the foundation I called again today. They know how critical she is.I am giving her Nutra-Cal to boost her strength.She has been walking around today,and I keep a diary on what she eats and does. It is so very hard to see her like this. It is heartbreaking. I am doing the best I can to keep her fed and comfortable.I will keep posting on her condition.Thank all of you again.It is so good to hear from you.It really helps me cope.

margd

Veteran
Purraise
Thank you for the update on Omelette.  I am so hoping for good news for you and that sweet girl. 

kittylove53

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Thank you so much Margd for your interest in Omelette.I am feeding her by hand trying to keep her strength up. It is just heartbreaking watching her this way. She is so innocent ,trusting and loving. She probably wonders what is happening to her. I also feel she must know.I am trying to make it as comfortable for her as possible.I tell her how much I love her.I comb and pet her and she purrs.I wish there was more I could do for her.Even though I have gone through this before, I did not see this coming. She is only six years old. We are never ready for something like this.I do not know how I will do without her.My male Tuxedo Obie is her best friend. They play together,eat together,and were just happy to have each other.He knows something is wrong with her.It is so sad to see all this. I will keep posting. Thank you again.

margd

Veteran
Purraise
You're very welcome.  
  And please, keep posting about her.   Sending best wishes for her comfort and well-being.   
 Take care of yourself, too.  Going through this is so difficult and can drain the energy right out of you.  

kittylove53

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Thank you so much again Margd! Today I fed her almost a whole 5oz can. I am trying to keep her strength up.This disease knows no bounds and strikes the most innocent.What can be more unjust than seeing even a kitty suffer from this.It has taken it's toll on so many of us.I do not know anyone who has not suffered from it.I am trying not to fall apart. This was so unexpected.Omelette is so sweet and loving.It is awful having to see her this way. Today she wandered into the bathroom to explore. I felt good about even that.She has given so much love,and only asked to be cared for,and have a forever home.Although I have lost many precious kitties ,it still hurts so very much.I am asking for a miracle for her.I understand that even if she had chemo it might not work.We are years away from cancer vaccines.Medicine is a business not a charity.It is not there to comfort all our deep feelings about even our human loved ones going through this disease.I can only pray for something out of the ordinary to  save her life.Thank all of you again. I will continue to post.

kittylove53

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Hi Margd!

Thank you for asking how Omelette is. She is still being hand fed,as much as I can get into her.I try to get at least 2/3 of a 5 0z can into her a day.She drinks by herself, and still walks around when she feels like it.Most of the time she sits in one or the other carriers that I have. My other cat Obie the male Tuxedo licks her when he feels like it.It hurts so much to see her like this. She also still leaps onto the window sill.I just do not know what I will do without her.Obie is sad also, he misses all the playing together they used to do everyday.She gave so much love to me,and now I kiss her and let her know how much I love her.I will keep posting on her condition. Thank you so much for being there.

kittylove53

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Hello all!

Omelette is still holding on. I am feeding her by hand,and she drinks by herself.I am doing everything to keep her as comfortable as possible,still giving meds twice daily.It is so heartbreaking to see her like this .She still walks around,likes to sit on bathroom tiled floor,and sit on the window sill.I miss her walking into the kitchen,standing up on hind legs and asking for food.My other cat Obie the male Tuxedo misses playing with her and running all over the place.She always made me so happy just to look at her, and pet her.Omelette is a Torti- Cali with a short tail.Whoever saw her told me how beautiful she is.I was so looking forward to spring when I could take both of them out on their leashes,and let them play in the grass.Now I know that will not happen.I do not know what I will do without my beloved little friend.Obie is also very sad.He knows how very sick she is.This is going to hurt forever,we never really get over horrible things such as this.I know that everyone here will or has experienced this.I have many times,it does not mean you will feel any better.I love her so very much.Life is not fair,and things do not turn out like you plan.This was unexpected.She is such an innocent and loving little creature,and she is being taken from me way before her time.I am so heartbroken.I will keep posting. Thank you all for being there.

nevroth

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
My heart breaks reading about Omelette's poor health. I'm in awe and inspired by your dedication to your little friend, and I really hope the best for you two, however much time you have together. Omelette sounds beautiful. She is so lucky to have you. Wishing you both the best!!

margd

Veteran
Purraise
Thank you for the update on Omelette.  It is undoubtedly your great love and care for her that has her doing as well as she is.  She seems to still be enjoying life and that is largely due to your devotion to her.    Please give her a kiss from me.  And give one to Obie, as well.  ((((Hugs))))

neely

May the purr be with you
Veteran
Purraise
I just saw your thread about Omelette and read through all the posts.  You are so right that cancer is a devastating disease and it's unbearable to watch our precious cats succumb to it.  I will keep both of you in my thoughts and hope to hear an update from you tomorrow.  Special thoughts for Obie too.

Status
Not open for further replies.