Older resident cat vomiting after kittens given full access to house

catlover1717

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
In late December, one of my two senior cats (brothers) passed away. My remaining cat grieved a lot, and eventually I started thinking he might benefit from more feline companionship. He had never been a solitary cat before. I adopted two 6-month old kittens two weeks ago advertised as loving every cat they met, which has proven to be true. They were kept in the master bedroom and bathroom until today, 14 days after adoption. I scent swapped at first (no reaction beyond sniffing), then eventually let the resident cat see the kittens through a baby gate (very little reaction, and no growling or hissing). Then the gate evolved into a large dog crate that extended a few feet out from the bedroom doorway, so the kittens could venture out from the room slightly and he could watch. Again, no bad reaction. A few days ago he started choosing to enter the room on his own by jumping onto the crate and then onto the floor. A few hisses when the kittens crowded him (they adore him), but nothing serious. Yesterday he actually laid with them on a heated pet pad for about 15-20 minutes. He also seemed to be eating better, which made me hopeful they were easing his grief.

Today is the first day the kittens have been let out to fully explore the house. And unfortunately, my senior kitty has vomited two times now, and gagged a third time without actual vomit. He hasn’t vomited since September, so I’m 99% sure this is stress. I’m feeling heartbroken and worried. Is this at all normal?

I’m sitting in a nice, quiet room with him right now while the kittens explore. He actually started eating immediately when I brought food and water in, which I’m hoping is a good sign.

I do have two Feliway diffusers going as well.

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hi! When he vomited before, was it daily? Is this something you've talked about with your vet? If not, I'd strongly suggest to do so.

Also, try cat music for him :)

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

catlover1717

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hi! When he vomited before, was it daily? Is this something you've talked about with your vet? If not, I'd strongly suggest to do so.

Also, try cat music for him :)
He’s on Prednisolone every other day, as he’s had mild IBS since he was a young adult (senior now). He would have a week where he vomited three days, then he’d go two weeks with nothing, then a “vomit week,” etc. We tried numerous things, but eventually had to push for a Pred prescription this year, as the barfing got worse. It’s been a miracle for him. Prior to today, zero vomiting after starting it.

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hi. It is probably stress related. Can you take a step back, sort of? In other words, keep him in a room while you let the kittens explore the house, but when you let him back in the main house area, just don't let the kittens roam - put them back in the room with the current set up you have. He sounds like he is just not quite ready to have them running all over the place - in 'his' space. Two weeks is nothing for an older cat, so he is probably kind of worked up a bit.

He might need another spell where he is taking Pred daily for a while, but I would try the mini-step back first!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

catlover1717

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
He’s eating a second time now, which has me relieved. Definitely stressed, but not to the point he’s lost his appetite.

Playing some cat music now!

Caspers Human

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
What about food insecurity?

Suddenly having two interlopers in the house might make the original cat feel insecure about his food source.
He's been getting a steady diet for a long time but, now there are two more mouths to feed. He could be worrying about where his next meal is coming from. When he gets food, he gorges himself until his stomach can't hold anymore. Then he barfs.

Casper has food insecurity issues. If he doesn't see food in his bowl any time they look, they freak out and do the old scarf and barf.
We just ensure that Casper gets his food at regular times and reassure him that he won't go hungry.

In your case, it might be straight-up food competition. Your first cat might think that these two young upstarts are trying to eat up his food before he gets enough.

Try feeding your original cat first, in a place where the kitten's can't go. After he's fed, feed the young'uns in a separate place.

Do what you can to let your cat know that he's not going to lose his food.