Older kitten with diarrhea

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

WoodstockGirl

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Update:

Jasper is doing well. He still has some diarrhea but it's not all the time. I'll finish the metronidazole and if it's not cleared up by then, he's going back to the vet. They did say it might take several days to clear up completely, that it wouldn't be immediate. And I think diarrhea might even be a side effect. But I'll give it a couple of more days.

Loki's eye is much better. No more green stuff. My friend, who has fostered forever and has 10 cats, talked me into waiting a day or so. She thinks he was probably roughing around and accidentally got scratched.

white shadow

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Hi WoodstockGirl.

I was on a short hiatus from TCS when into my mailbox came notification of a mention in your thread (from post #39).

First, I'm really happy to hear that Loki's green eye discharge has cleared up.

If I were to have been 'around' and active on the forum, I would never have suggested using nor even mentioned the names of any medicated eye products.....about the only part of my 'quoted' post (from a whole different thread, cat and situation) that I would have mentioned would have been to caution you against the use of such products. So, the last paragraph of that 'quote', the concern that antibacterial products can mask pathogens and confuse/sabotage any potential diagnosis.

Good, informed, experienced advice from your friend!

The one 'remedy' that can be safely used if an eye is 'bothering' a cat (cat is rubbing eye, etc.) - and, only until you can have the cat examined - is a plain sterile ophthalmic gel. It will only lubricate the eye, thereby eliminating some irritation which can reduce the cat's need to rub. Here's the one I have used: Bausch Liposic Ophthalmic Gel. Your pharmacist can help find/recommend this kind of product.

With cats around, I wouldn't be caught without a tube in the house.

Where is the loose stool issue 'at' now ?

WoodstockGirl

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Hi WoodstockGirl.

I was on a short hiatus from TCS when into my mailbox came notification of a mention in your thread (from post #39).

First, I'm really happy to hear that Loki's green eye discharge has cleared up.

If I were to have been 'around' and active on the forum, I would never have suggested using nor even mentioned the names of any medicated eye products.....about the only part of my 'quoted' post (from a whole different thread, cat and situation) that I would have mentioned would have been to caution you against the use of such products. So, the last paragraph of that 'quote', the concern that antibacterial products can mask pathogens and confuse/sabotage any potential diagnosis.

Good, informed, experienced advice from your friend!

The one 'remedy' that can be safely used if an eye is 'bothering' a cat (cat is rubbing eye, etc.) - and, only until you can have the cat examined - is a plain sterile ophthalmic gel. It will only lubricate the eye, thereby eliminating some irritation which can reduce the cat's need to rub. Here's the one I have used: Bausch Liposic Ophthalmic Gel. Your pharmacist can help find/recommend this kind of product.

With cats around, I wouldn't be caught without a tube in the house.

Where is the loose stool issue 'at' now ?
I wasn't going to give Loki anything unless it came from my friend or the vet. I will definitely pick up some of that product, thanks!

After I brought him home, he was good the rest of Saturday, Sunday and yesterday. At least, if it was still loose he buried it very well. I don't know what happened. Today it's loose again. Mushy, not liquid. I don't know if it's the metronidazole? He's perfectly fine otherwise.

They did mention colitis as a possible cause, but I'm pretty sure he had worms. How long does it take to clear up? Again, they did say it could take several days for the diarrhea to go away, but how long is "several"?

Edit: One of my friend's cats has chronic diarrhea--they can't figure out why. I hope that isn't the case with my baby buddy.

WoodstockGirl

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I think I'm going to take him back. He leaked all over the place overnight. Mostly in the bathtub. The good news is there's no blood in it.

WoodstockGirl

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Please let us know how you get on.
I will. If anyone has any ideas or suggestions, I'm all ears. I don't understand it. He was fine. At least there's no blood or mucus in it.

Just tossing this out there as a Hail Mary...could he be teething? He IS chewing on everything, including my feet. I know it's unlikely, but just a thought.

WoodstockGirl

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Just talked to the emergency vet. They said don't panic yet. If I saw worms then it can take two weeks for it to clear out and he should be re-dosed at that time. They're writing a script for prescription food and I'm going to pick it up. They also said it sounds like he has litter box avoidance so I'll pick up some attractant while I'm at it.

I'm also trying to find a vet that is 1) open and 2) taking new patients.

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
He IS chewing on everything,
Did he possibly swallow something he shouldn't have? Try taking a clean washcloth (well rinsed if you use scented dryer sheets), dampen it and partially freeze it. See if he'll chew on that - he might like the cold.

See if you can contain him to one room until things are cleared up, for easier cleaning. Whether it's actual box avoidance or not, it sounds to me that he simply couldn't retain it, and that he felt better in the tub.

WoodstockGirl

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Did he possibly swallow something he shouldn't have? Try taking a clean washcloth (well rinsed if you use scented dryer sheets), dampen it and partially freeze it. See if he'll chew on that - he might like the cold.

See if you can contain him to one room until things are cleared up, for easier cleaning. Whether it's actual box avoidance or not, it sounds to me that he simply couldn't retain it, and that he felt better in the tub.
That's my thought too.

They also said that metronidazole doesn't actually stop diarrhea in a lot of cases. It just firms it up so it's not watery.

When he was there Saturday there was no indication he'd swallowed anything he shouldn't have.

Poor little guy. :(