Old car won't even coexist with new kitten

Zrvirgo

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hello fellow cat folk,

A few months ago we adopted a new male kitten, we already have two cats in the house, both female, one four and one three.

We did the recommended having food dishes on either side of the door for a few months, switching their rooms, all of that. Worked great with our oldest cat, but the three year old is just super mean to the kitten. If she even sees him she hisses, sometimes from across the house. A few times now she's cornered him and started attacking. We've never seen him be aggressive to her and he usually lays down and becomes submissive when he sees her, and now he's getting terrified of her.

Weirdly it's not all the time, sometimes she'll be within 10 or so feet of him and they'll eat treats or food or just hang out, but randomly she'll put her tail and rush at him with her claws out.

We've tried a pheromone collar, and have tried swapping where their food dishes are but our three year old cat just refuses to be nice.

Any suggestions on how we can work to help the situation?

Thank you

neely

May the purr be with you
Veteran
Purraise
Welcome to TCS! :wave3: One of our past cats did not want to have anything to do with our past docile kitten. I would make sure to separate them when I was not home. It may take your 3 yr. old female cat some time so try to be patient and best case scenario is that they can co-exist with one another.

I thought these Articles might have some helpful information for you and I'm sure other members can share their experiences too:
How To Introduce A Kitten To An Older Cat – TheCatSite Articles
How To Fix An Unsuccessful Cat Introduction – TheCatSite Articles
How To Successfully Introduce Cats: The Ultimate Guide – TheCatSite Articles

ArtNJ

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
How long has it been since you started letting them mingle? Sometimes they just need time, and quite a bit of it. Charging and swatting seems pretty terrible, but it generally seems to be a way to say "get away from me!" rather than "My name is Inigo Montoya. You killed my father. Prepare to die!" So as long as its not a real fight, they can often get past it, eventually.