Odiferous Lady

peapie

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
We have a rescue cat (about 2 years old) that we adopted from a shelter. She was taken out of a hoarding situation and had to forage for food in her previous life. We've been giving her Purina Gourmet Gold (wet in the little cans) which she adores. However ... she's developed a rather noxious side effect of having flatulence. Her stools are a bit too soft as well if she has too much fish, so we try to limit that. We're thinking the food is probably a bit too rich for her and would like to try her on something a bit more digestible. Does anyone have suggestions of a low fibre, easily digested food we can try? She does like wet best, but we try to slip a little dry in as well. Thanks for any suggestions!

mizzely

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
We had this problem with Jasmine too. Her poops would make us gag! Switching her to Friskies Pate of all things cleared up the problem completely. I think the rice helped make the food not so rich. Perhaps start there and then gradually moving her to a grain free option would help her body adjust?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

peapie

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
We had this problem with Jasmine too. Her poops would make us gag! Switching her to Friskies Pate of all things cleared up the problem completely. I think the rice helped make the food not so rich. Perhaps start there and then gradually moving her to a grain free option would help her body adjust?
Thanks for that - I'll see if I can find it. Not sure we have it in England, but there's usually something that's about the same but known by another name. She pretty much cleared the room tonight, so we're on the hunt rather quickly!

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Just change the food out gradually, despite how much you would like to immediately resolve her 'problem'. A little of the new with a lot of the old, then more new, less old, etc. Also, if there is particular dry food you want to add to her diet, you can add water to it to see if that would be to her liking since she likes wet foods better.

peapie

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Just change the food out gradually, despite how much you would like to immediately resolve her 'problem'. A little of the new with a lot of the old, then more new, less old, etc. Also, if there is particular dry food you want to add to her diet, you can add water to it to see if that would be to her liking since she likes wet foods better.
Will do - don't want to change it too fast or we may have more tummy upsets. She's just a petite little thing and eats for England, so she wolfs it down which probably doesn't help. I've tried smaller servings spread throughout the day to slow her down. Will start switching to something else tomorrow - fingers crossed (and noses blocked!) Thanks!

TobiDaDog

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I had the EXACT same problem with Reese. She had the most horrible gas (and poop) on Purina. Wet and dry. Every time pressure was put on her little belly she farted. And she could clear a room. We chalked it up to 'she's just a stinky kitten' but when I switched over to a different brand, 4Health, the nastiness stopped cold. Now she's on Weruva, Crave, BFF, and Instinct and the smell still hasn't come back. It was just the Purina upsetting her tummy. :dunno:

lisahe

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
One of our cats had similar problems if fed potato, which also made her vomit.

And yes, you're right, peapie peapie , that slowing your cat's eating down could help. Our Edwina's a fast eater, too, she also came from a (minor) hoarding situation and was very underweight when we brought her home. Even five years later, she still eats too fast!

Good luck!

She's a witch

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
peapie peapie , do you know zooplus.co.uk site? It has lots of good grain-free options if you're interested, I can recommend with all my heart Grau, Granata Pet, Catz Finefood, also I know Feringa, Wild Freedom, MAC's are good. But these are all grain-free, high protein options, best for your cat but she may need to adjust to it as the change from purina food may be drastic.

Last edited:

Summercats

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Feed better quality wet food without carbs or sugar and most cats are fine.

peapie

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
peapie peapie , do you know zooplus.co.uk site? It has lots of good grain-free options if you're interested, I can recommend with all my heart Grau, Granata Pet, Catz Finefood, also I know Feringa, Wild Freedom, MAC's are good. But these are all grain-free, high protein options, best for your cat but she may need to adjust to it as the change from purina food may be drastic.
Thank you all for the great suggestions! I do know the zooplus site but have never bought food from there, but I will check out some of what they carry. Our older cat had a similar problem when we first got him and we were giving him a high quality food which turned out to be just too much for him. Our smelly girl was a bit malnourished when she came into the kennel, so she was just eating whatever she could find. Now she's started to put on a bit too much weight so we need to watch that but still get the good stuff into her. Thanks for all the suggestions - I knew you guys would be a great help!

LTS3

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise

verna davies

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I have a cat with a sensitive tummy and also found Gourmet Gold too rich for him. I feed him Sheba selection and he does well on that. I dont use a probiotic but know that Synbiotic D-C has had good reviews whilst Fortiflora has had mixed. Amazon have a good choice as do Viovet and Animed

peapie

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I have a cat with a sensitive tummy and also found Gourmet Gold too rich for him. I feed him Sheba selection and he does well on that. I dont use a probiotic but know that Synbiotic D-C has had good reviews whilst Fortiflora has had mixed. Amazon have a good choice as do Viovet and Animed
I was just looking at Sheba earlier today in fact. I'm going to slowly try a few different ones and see what the reaction is. So hard to know which to go for so it's going to be trial and error for a bit. We started our older cat off on Nature's Best and the smell from the litter box was enough to peel off the wallpaper! Once we switched to a frankly cheaper brand he was happy and we could breathe again. Thanks for sharing what worked for you - we'll try that one too.

verna davies

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
The chicken doesnt smell very nice and none of my cats will eat it. The Sheba gravy is the favourite. I order from Zooplus but Bitiba is the sister company and slightly cheaper although have to order £39 compared to Zooplus £29 to have free delivery. Both are very reliable.

lisahe

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Feed better quality wet food without carbs or sugar and most cats are fine.
This is so often the case -- it was carby potato that caused our cat's problems. peapie peapie , I don't know what was in the Nature's Best or "frankly cheaper brand" you fed your older cat, but if the Nature's Best has grains, potato, peas, or other carby ingredients but the cheaper brand was something like Fancy Feast Classic pate, it might well have been the carbs that were causing the problem for your cat, too. Carnivorous cats just aren't really built to eat potatoes, peas, or grains!

peapie

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
This is so often the case -- it was carby potato that caused our cat's problems. peapie peapie , I don't know what was in the Nature's Best or "frankly cheaper brand" you fed your older cat, but if the Nature's Best has grains, potato, peas, or other carby ingredients but the cheaper brand was something like Fancy Feast Classic pate, it might well have been the carbs that were causing the problem for your cat, too. Carnivorous cats just aren't really built to eat potatoes, peas, or grains!
Nature's Best is one of the meatier high quality foods available in Britain, but it just did not set well. We just switched down to a Purina supermarket brand and that was then end of the problem. I'm truly amazed at how much unneeded stuff is put in cat food and I know they market it for human taste - peas, carrots, spinach and now I see cat soup. I mean soup??!!

ailish

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
When I rescued Ailish she wasn't gassy, but her poops could be smelled rooms away. She was on Little Friskies dry. Just switching her to FF Classic solved the problem. Now that she's on Weruva, I can be in the same room and I don't usually know what she's doing in there.

peapie

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
When I rescued Ailish she wasn't gassy, but her poops could be smelled rooms away. She was on Little Friskies dry. Just switching her to FF Classic solved the problem. Now that she's on Weruva, I can be in the same room and I don't usually know what she's doing in there.
We've started limiting her "gassy food" to a small amount a day which has helped tremendously. She still loves it but seems quite happy to have it first thing in the morning when she's more active and it has time to make it's way through. We've switched her to something else for supper which has worked well so far. She'd eat non-stop if we let her though, so we really have to watch the amounts. It's all so much trial and error!