Odd Rear Leg Behavior

jdanham

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
We have a 4 year old Abyssinian who is 100% healthy (just saw the vet 2 weeks ago). He's started this really strange behavior that in my opinion is either territorial or sexual.

The best way to describe what happens is if you imagine a bull fight, but imagine the bull is mostly sitting down when he starts to scrape the ground with his back legs in advance of charging the matador. It seems our Leon seems to do this when he is on top of something like a fabric shopping bag or a place mat and only lasts for like 30 seconds. It's totally random and he is a typical Abby in every way physically so I'm curious if others have seen this and had any insights - or if this is just another oddball cat behavior...

LTS3

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Sounds like "rabbit kicking". Many cats do the this to toys and random things like blankets. It's probably some hunting instinct they still have it just another one of those oddball cat behaviors.

LAL

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
My female cat does that ground -pawing with her back legs also, usually while she's on one of her beloved pieces of brown packing paper. At first I was afraid she was making a hole like in litter in a box. But, she didn't 'go there '. It's got to be some kind of instinct, making a spot on the floor comfortable or something.