Occasional Accidents (that Are Totally On Purpose)?

NoxfordComma

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Both of my kittens (4.5mo) know they're supposed to go in the litter boxes. Bowie exclusively uses the litter box to do his business. Nox goes in the litter box 95% of the time. About once a week Nox will have an "accident" on whatever item left on the floor that he fancies (towels, bags, etc.). He won't pee on the carpet or rugs (which cover most of our house) so I'm perplexed as to why he's doing this.

I've noticed that all of the items he's peed on tend to be somewhat dirty or stained, be it just a smudge of dirt/water or a fair layer of dust. Some of the items were ones he was not used to being in the house, but his most recent "accident" was on a bean bag chair that has been in the same place since day 1. I've been told by cat-owning friends and family that he might be marking his territory against his brother but they are in no way hostile toward each other otherwise so I don't know if that checks out. I've also heard that it could be a sign of a UTI but he uses the litter boxes 19 times out of 20 to pee and has no other symptoms. Is there an underlying behavior or physical problem here, or do I just need to be careful about what's on the floor? Every time I think we're in the clear, he pees on something new, and it's getting kind of frustrating :(

rubysmama

Forum Helper
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Have they been neutered yet? They're still pretty young, but it could be territory marking. Ensure you are cleaning any areas where he pees with an enzyme cleaner to ensure the scent is removed, otherwise he might keep peeing in the same spots.

How To Solve Litterbox Problems In Cats: The Ultimate Guide
Litterbox Problems? Here's Why You Should Call Your Vet
Inappropriate Peeing, Spraying, Toy Obsession And Leg And Hand Nipping
Spraying: When Your Cat Uses Urine To Mark Territory

Combat Cat Urine
How To Remove Cat Urine
How To Remove Cat Urine Odor From Your Home

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

NoxfordComma

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Have they been neutered yet? They're still pretty young, but it could be territory marking. Ensure you are cleaning any areas where he pees with an enzyme cleaner to ensure the scent is removed, otherwise he might keep peeing in the same spots.

How To Solve Litterbox Problems In Cats: The Ultimate Guide
Litterbox Problems? Here's Why You Should Call Your Vet
Inappropriate Peeing, Spraying, Toy Obsession And Leg And Hand Nipping
Spraying: When Your Cat Uses Urine To Mark Territory

Combat Cat Urine
How To Remove Cat Urine
How To Remove Cat Urine Odor From Your Home
They are both neutered, yes! This most recent occurrence was strange because he did it 4 feet away from one of the litter boxes. It may have been because I hadn’t cleaned it for the day yet so
perhaps it wasn’t clean enough for him to use. thanks for the links!

Kflowers

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Remember it takes a few weeks for the hormones to leave the boys' bodies and mental patterns.

rubysmama

Forum Helper
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
How many litter boxes do you have? Some cats are quirky like to pee in one, and poop in another. And, some will only use a clean litter box, so that could be it too.

NoxfordComma

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
How many litter boxes do you have? Some cats are quirky like to pee in one, and poop in another. And, some will only use a clean litter box, so that could be it too.
I have three; two in our bedroom and one in an open area of the house. Those are the only places they can cleanly and safely fit for the kitties. They definitely have their favorite box but they do use all three!

Nox just peed on the beanbag chair again right as I was finishing scooping the litter box that was near it. I threw it away because I have not gotten my hands on an enzyme cleaner yet so I knew he'd just go on it again tomorrow. Should I try switching up the kind of litter (maybe just use it in one of the boxes) or would that probably make it worse right now?

artesian79

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I would get Feliway diffusers plugged in. It is likely territory marking and it could simply be due to stress. What changes have happened that may have caused him stress? We brought in a special needs cat that is onery due to having FHS. Our senior male started urine marking things when we brought her in and even though 3 years have passed, we can tell if one of the diffusers is empty bc we are sent pee-mail!

I worked a new cat mom through a similar issue with the 2 kittens I fostered. The one male would pee on her young child's clothes sometimes when they were left on the floor. It turned out that grandma had cats and the boy would stay there sometimes then return home with those cats' scents on him. The more dominant of the kittens would pee on his clothes to mark the boy as "his" to let the other cats know this human was already claimed.

They still had a problem every now and then that coincided with visitors coming to their apartment. The kittens were getting used to living inside and at a new home so they were already under stress. I suggested she place them in the laundry room (bc it was their "safe spot" when they first arrived) when guests came over while the kittens were still getting acclimated. That took care of the rest of their pee-mail.

If the cat does not have a UTI, peeing outside the box is usualy a message to tell Mom that they are not happy about something.

NoxfordComma

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Nox went 2 weeks without another incident and just today peed in a brand new bag of clothes that my brother bought. The last 3 times he's peed inappropriately have been when there were visitors in the house and I was not home, but he in no way showed any other signs of aggression, fear, or discomfort with visitors being here (he LOVES playing with my brother). I told people to not leave things on the floor or they might get peed on, but this thing fell to the wayside. i'm going to look into Feliway diffusers though the reviews online said they can start fires, which is kind of concerning!

rubysmama

Forum Helper
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Sorry to read that. :sigh: About Feliway, I've never used it, but have read some positive reviews. There's also a Feliway spray, I believe, as well as calming treats and collars.

Not sure if you've seen this, but here's a new thread that has a situation very similar to yours. Separating Sibling Kittens

Kflowers

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Rather than aggression or fear, Nox might be claiming your brother as part of his territory.

You did the right thing to throw out the beanbag chair. Once they get wet for any reason, many of them start to mold, or even sprout.