Separating Sibling Kittens

Mountain5

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi,
Does anyone have any insight with sibling kittens? We adopted a male and female pair 4 months ago (they are 6 mos now-almost 7) and the girl has developed inappropriate urination issues. I have taken her to the vet and she checks out perfect (no uti, etc.). We have tried feliway, cat attract litter (she uses the litter box fine but also pees on other things-like freshly washed laundry and my sons bed, carpet), cleaning the spots she pees with an enzyme cleaner, we have tried everything!! The vet thinks she may have anxiety and jealousy issues related to her brother and suggested we consider re-homing her because she may do better as a single cat. The pair seems bonded and will play together and groom each other. Help! I don’t want to separate them but we are at a loss. Thanks for any advice.

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Veteran
Purraise
Hi!
In reading this, my opinion is that she's fine with her brother.

Try temporarily containing her in a room with some litterboxes, puppy pee pads on the floor, and if there's a bed if you could cover it with plastic. The idea is to get her to the point where she's consistent on using the boxes.
Also give her some music, it might help as well :)

Last edited:

amethyst

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I agree it doesn't sound like she has an issue with her brother. Could it be possible though that she see a stray or neighbor's cat outside? Cats are very territorial and if they feel like their territory is threatened they will spray things.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Mountain5

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
They were spayed and neutered before we adopted them. I am going to keep her in a room by herself this morning and see how she does. Hopefully we can solve this! Thanks for the suggestions

rubysmama

Forum Helper
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hello and welcome to TCS. :wave2: Sorry it's kitten litter box avoidance that brought you here. :alright:

Did anything change in the household prior to the beginning of her inappropriate peeing?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Mountain5

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Well...after confining her to a room for a while we let her out and she immidiately peed on her siblings bed. She is now temporarily staying with a friend in a home that has no other pets to see how it goes and see if that changes her behavior.

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Veteran
Purraise
I'm thinking that the room confinement wasn't anywhere near long enough, but in any case hopefully this new approach works:)
Let us know what happens, we're rooting for all of you :heartshape: