Nutro Getting Rid Of Canned Food Flavors??

destinyz12

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I just ordered the Nutro Chunky loaf turkey a few weeks ago on Chewy, as ive done many times before, and suddenly its no longer even listed on their website today! The chunky loaf chicken is still there though. I hope that's not a sign that they're discounting their cans, as many of those varieties have much healthier ingredients than the perfect portions!

AbbysMom

At Abby's beck and call
Staff Member
Purraise
YEeeees. I’ve been wondering the same thing about chunky loaf duck and salmon. It’s out of stock almost everywhere and the people that still have it in stock want a million dollars for it.

MissMolly08

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Pretty sure I read here a couple months ago that they ARE discontinuing the cans and going to those perfect portion trays like Sheba did. If you look at the Nutro website, the cans are not even listed there.

duckpond

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I also think they are discontinuing their cans. my one female loves their minced chicken and the turkey. It seems they have totally changed their product line, and not for the better in my opinion, i have tried the perfect portions they are now selling, the one without Carageenan, and even my stray outside cat will not eat it. They did away with Evo, which was always a staple at my house. Frankly i am done with Mars and their cat foods.

chandler49

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I also think they are discontinuing their cans. my one female loves their minced chicken and the turkey. It seems they have totally changed their product line, and not for the better in my opinion, i have tried the perfect portions they are now selling, the one without Carageenan, and even my stray outside cat will not eat it. They did away with Evo, which was always a staple at my house. Frankly i am done with Mars and their cat foods.
I called Nutro about 2 months ago. They discontinued Chunky Loaf Turkey but not the Chicken. However today had to go to 2 Petsmarts to get some and I could only find 12 cans. Personally I've always had a bad feeling about Nutro for some reason. Maybe it's too many recalls over the years. I'm done with their food too.

AbbysMom

At Abby's beck and call
Staff Member
Purraise
Ugh. I just bought cases of some on Amazon to stockpile.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

destinyz12

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
This really sucks because its one of the only brands that my picky cats like. And they aren't crazy about the perfect portions since the ingredients and textures are different than the cans.

laura mae

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I don't understand the move to the perfect portion trays at all. But it is apparent in the Petsmart in my town that Nutro cans are not getting restocked. That includes all of the Nutro max small cans too. It's a terrible trend. What the world needs more of: plastic

lokhismom

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Ugh, my 2 love the Chunky Chicken and Sliced Turkey. Chewy still has both of them so I'm hoping they aren't getting eliminated.

lisahe

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Oh no! I remember discussion of this some months ago and posts, C chandler49 's, I think, saying that Nutro said at least some were staying. I then bought a bunch at PetSmart, where nobody had heard of anything being discontinued. Nutro is our pickier cat's favorite so I hope they at least keep minced chicken and chunky chicken!

AbbysMom

At Abby's beck and call
Staff Member
Purraise
Nutro is our pickier cat's favorite so I hope they at least keep minced chicken and chunky chicken!
I would stock up now if you can. I've noticed a lot of these out of stock at places.

Here's the minced chicken -

NATURAL CHOICE™ Adult Minced Chicken Formula

If you click "Shop Now", its out of stock at two places.

chunky chicken is out of stock in a few places also -

NATURAL CHOICE™ Adult Chunky Loaf Chicken Dinner

Some of the ones my cat likes is out of stock everywhere. :( I went to the local Petco and it's clear they are phasing it out. The are was much smaller and mostly empty. :(

lisahe

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Thank you for this, AbbysMom AbbysMom ! Ugh on the lack of availability, especially for minced chicken! Maybe they will rethink this, as they did several years ago: Petco had run low on sliced turkey and when I asked, the employee told me it had been discontinued. It was gone for a while but came back, though of course I'm not sure if this was a temporary problem or the employee was just plain wrong! In any case, fingers crossed since stranger things have happened!

chandler49

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I just ordered the Nutro Chunky loaf turkey a few weeks ago on Chewy, as ive done many times before, and suddenly its no longer even listed on their website today! The chunky loaf chicken is still there though. I hope that's not a sign that they're discounting their cans, as many of those varieties have much healthier ingredients than the perfect portions!
Called Nutro today again about availability of the Chunky Loaf Chicken. They said they're having trouble keeping up with demand for canned food. This formula has not been discontinued but might take until mid Feb to get back in stock. The kitten version of this food is the same formula except the protein/fat is about 1-2% higher. I was concerned about feeding kitten formula to my adult because the calcium level for kittens is usually higher. Nutro said the calcium level in the adult & kitten formulas are exactly the same. Only difference was protein/fat level. I'm going to try the kitten formula tomorrow.

lisahe

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Called Nutro today again about availability of the Chunky Loaf Chicken. They said they're having trouble keeping up with demand for canned food. This formula has not been discontinued but might take until mid Feb to get back in stock. The kitten version of this food is the same formula except the protein/fat is about 1-2% higher. I was concerned about feeding kitten formula to my adult because the calcium level for kittens is usually higher. Nutro said the calcium level in the adult & kitten formulas are exactly the same. Only difference was protein/fat level. I'm going to try the kitten formula tomorrow.
C chandler49 , I wish I could "Purraise" you about ten times for calling Nutro again and posting this update! I'd looked at Chewy to see availability and seen that lots of flavors were available but hadn't bought anything there or at local stores. I'm glad to know chunky loaf chicken is still in production!

Our cats love the kitten formula. It looks just like the adult chicken food, soft loaf, I think. I think there's another variation on the theme, too... in any case, our cats love them all. Here's hoping yours do(es), too!

:thanks:

zoocat

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I like to feed both the chicken and the turkey chunky loaf because I don’t want them to have chicken all the time and develop an allergy to it. I’ve been having problems finding the turkey at Petsmart and Petco both for a few months—Petco currently has almost no cans of Nutro—just the perfect portions. When I went to a Petsmart yesterday they actually had two flats of the chunky turkey so I bought both! Got every can of chunky turkey in the store (24).

Yanaka

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
You can also look into the senior line, I'm not sure why it's for "senior cats," because the ingredients are about the same and the nutritional info looks good for all stages (and healthy cats). I'm glad I got them off that brand if they're discontinuing them. I also had a slight bad feeling about it, since my cats were so addicted to it.

kikiscatmat

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I've been having a terrible time getting the Nutro Max Cat chunks in sauce flavors that my cat normally eats - chicken, chicken and turkey. She's had digestive troubles so I don't want to go switching around foods on her, but Chewy has been out of stock.

duckpond

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I've been having a terrible time getting the Nutro Max Cat chunks in sauce flavors that my cat normally eats - chicken, chicken and turkey. She's had digestive troubles so I don't want to go switching around foods on her, but Chewy has been out of stock.
I don't know if it would work for your cat, my one female that always wanted Nutro has switched over to the Merrick backcountry fairly well. the chunks are a bit bigger so i mash them up with a fork and she seems to be fine with it. This is the only wet food i have been able to get her to eat, other than some fancy feast . And i have tried them all :(

kikiscatmat

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Thanks for the tip! I'll have to give the Merrick a try. Miss Kiki has been getting by for now on some pate style Nutro Max that I was able to scrounge up, but she feels lukewarm about it at best...and she is also one of those kitties that refuses to drink water no matter what fountains or drippers are available to her, so I always have to add a little water to her wet food, which doesn't turn out so well with pate food. Sigh.

chandler49

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Had e-mail today from Nutro. Chunky Chicken Soft Loaf 3 oz can is not discontinued. They are having trouble keeping up with the demand for this food. They suggest keep checking the stores and on-line.