Nutro Getting Rid Of Canned Food Flavors??

lisahe

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
@chandler49 you're so good with the Nutro updates! I'd meant to add a note on Saturday that someone at Petco told me the same thing. I bought four cans of senior chicken loaf (not chunky), which also has no carrageenan 99 calories per can, compared to 97 for chunky chicken. They had some other kind, with seafood, that I didn't buy, but that was it. Other than a note on the shelf saying there were supply issues.

Yanaka

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
@chandler49 you're so good with the Nutro updates! I'd meant to add a note on Saturday that someone at Petco told me the same thing. I bought four cans of senior chicken loaf (not chunky), which also has no carrageenan 99 calories per can, compared to 97 for chunky chicken. They had some other kind, with seafood, that I didn't buy, but that was it. Other than a note on the shelf saying there were supply issues.
I ended up buying the senior cans for my kittens when I gave them Nutro. They’re so much better!

lisahe

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I ended up buying the senior cans for my kittens when I gave them Nutro. They’re so much better!
I'm just curious, Yanaka, about what you thought was better. (I haven't compared labels in a long time... I only checked for carrageenan!) Our cats like just about everything from Nutro so it's good to have on hand because one cat can be picky. Thanks!

JPsMom

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi all; desperate here!!
My baby eats only Nutro Max cat Chicken & Liver and it seems to be gone. I have tried contacting Nutro and they were evasive. Nobody at any pet store can tell me for sure but it is gone from the shelves. I have heard that a cat will starve to death if they don't want to eat their food. I have tried every canned food out there as a replacement (including Nutro kitten and other brands of Chicken & Liver formula) and she runs from it! I do have a dry food that she likes but I don't want her to have only that (and she doesn't have a lot of teeth for chewing anyway!) I am going to try making food for her but I don't have high hopes. Any suggestions? She has been eating this one brand/flavor for years and will not touch anything else!!

duckpond

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Nutro has been doing odd things with their food for a few months. My stores are not carrying the minced chicken and the sliced turkey right now either, my cats always like that. Have you checked chewy? I saw they had the kitten chicken and liver, will she eat that? It can be dangerous for a cat not to eat for too long. so until you can find a wet she will eat i would feed her the dry. Best of luck, it is really hard when they will only eat one food .

JPsMom

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Nutro has been doing odd things with their food for a few months. My stores are not carrying the minced chicken and the sliced turkey right now either, my cats always like that. Have you checked chewy? I saw they had the kitten chicken and liver, will she eat that? It can be dangerous for a cat not to eat for too long. so until you can find a wet she will eat i would feed her the dry. Best of luck, it is really hard when they will only eat one food .
Thanks duckpond: Yeah; I tried chewy and every online site along with every store from gourmet to supermarket. She didn't like the kitten chicken and liver either. I am trying to hydrate her dry food (It's one of the Hill's science diet so not too terrible)...I will do anything for this girl but not sure what to do except keep trying!

lisahe

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Yes, availability of Nutro foods has been pretty spotty for some time.

If you do decide to make food, JPsMom JPsMom , the EZ Complete supplement has chicken liver in it and it can be used with cooked chicken. (It already has nutrients so all you add is muscle meat, no organs unless you want to add heart.) Our cats love EZ Complete food with cooked meat.

Another thought: have you already tried crumbling something appealing on other foods for your cat? Sometimes crumbling favorite treats or some dry food can work wonders. Our pickier cat will eat anything if I crumble Pure Bites treats on it.

Good luck!

duckpond

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
It is so hard when this happens! Hopefully you will find a wet food she likes soon. Just keep feeding her the dry, and put out extra water bowls, or a water fountain. If she likes science diet dry have you tried some of their wet foods? I have seen several new Hills wet foods in the pet stores lately.

If im trying to find something new for mine i usually hit the pet stores and get a can of this and a can of that. I do end up throwing quite a bit away, but i normally run upon one or two they like. Have you tried fancy feast? Many people say cats will always eat fancy feast, 3 of my 4 are not big fans, 1 is, but i hear many are!

Have you tried chewys new american journey minced flavors? My cats like them pretty well. And chewy does have a really good return policy if not.

lisahe

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
It is so hard when this happens! Hopefully you will find a wet food she likes soon. Just keep feeding her the dry, and put out extra water bowls, or a water fountain. If she likes science diet dry have you tried some of their wet foods? I have seen several new Hills wet foods in the pet stores lately.

If im trying to find something new for mine i usually hit the pet stores and get a can of this and a can of that. I do end up throwing quite a bit away, but i normally run upon one or two they like. Have you tried fancy feast? Many people say cats will always eat fancy feast, 3 of my 4 are not big fans, 1 is, but i hear many are!

Have you tried chewys new american journey minced flavors? My cats like them pretty well. And chewy does have a really good return policy if not.
This is all good advice! And Fancy Feast pates are, indeed, very popular. Turkey and giblets is a big favorite for our picky cat. She just loves it. That and, oddly, Fromm turkey and duck, I think it is. It comes in the green can.

JPsMom

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
This is great-thank you everybody! I am going to try the E-Z Complete; I've never heard of it but it sounds good. I will try the others as well; I hate that we are on this journey: when I got her from the Humane Society we were hit with a blizzard and the only thing I had was a can of the Nutro. She has not eaten anything since and I literally buy one of everything when I go to the store because I never thought that was particularly good food to begin with. She runs from everything! I will try the treat trick too but, of course, she only likes one cheap treat-maybe-she is so fussy! LOVE my girl!

duckpond

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
She is a pretty little fussy girl! :) Good luck with finding some foods she enjoys. sometimes the treats on the wet food works wonders! Use those cheap treats if thats what she likes. I also feed mine with a spoon sometimes...lol.. dont laugh. :flail: it will occasionally get them interested enough to try it off the spoon, and then they will eat out of the plate. Not always but sometimes.

JPsMom

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
She is a pretty little fussy girl! :) Good luck with finding some foods she enjoys. sometimes the treats on the wet food works wonders! Use those cheap treats if thats what she likes. I also feed mine with a spoon sometimes...lol.. dont laugh. :flail: it will occasionally get them interested enough to try it off the spoon, and then they will eat out of the plate. Not always but sometimes.
Ha! Yes; we share spoons of ice cream occasionally and she always drinks from my water glass so I can't laugh! Thanks for your help on this...

lisahe

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I am going to try the E-Z Complete; I've never heard of it but it sounds good.
It's very good stuff. They do have sample packages available so you can try it out.

Fingers crossed that your'e able to figure something out!

JPsMom

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
It's very good stuff. They do have sample packages available so you can try it out.

Fingers crossed that your'e able to figure something out!
Thanks for that info; I just found the page to order a sample. Fingers crossed!

Makynna

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
All the sudden poof gone! From all surrounding stores. Had to switch foods. Are they going to clean up this mess from my cats flaming butthole now? Wish I had some warning.

CosaCat

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I spoke with Katherine today at Nutro and she confirmed that all Max Cat wet foods (and she made it sound like ALL Nutro wet foods) are being discontinued in May 2019. I don't know what my cat will eat if the Max Cat chunks in sauce goes away. Even very comparable recipes from other brands are a no-go with her. Nutro/Mars did say they take customer feedback seriously, so if you have a desire for Nutro wet food to stay on the market, please call them about it. 800-525-5273

mizzely

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Well poop. Nutro is one of the foods Lydia actually eats :(

They are discontinuing cans in favor of the Perfect Portion trays. Too expensive!!

Screenshot_20190225-220930.png

Screenshot_20190225-220958.png