Nursing mother cat suddenly lethargic, won’t stay with her kittens for more than 10 minutes

6kittensTN

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hi, I know I’m going to be recommended to take her to the vet. I plan to, this will be the third time this week I will have taken her. The first time, was to get medicine for worms and fleas. The second time, I was worried she may have had mastitis because her teats seemed swollen and red/bruised to me. The vet said she didn’t have it, and the reason they looked like this was because she was nursing a large litter (6 kittens). They did say that one side of her teats are producing more milk than the other 3.

Last night, as per instructions by the vet, I applied dewormer to the mom (Profender). This morning, she wouldn’t stop meowing. I couldn’t figure out what was wrong. She was eating, pooping, etc. I even gave her KMR because she loves it. As the day went on, she got more and more lethargic. She will barely get up, if her kittens meow she will meow back but won’t go to them. I have brought the kittens to her, 3 at a time so they can get the best chance at a producing teat. They seem to suckle, purr, knead, etc just fine. But the mother will not go to them on her own. The mother will still drink the KMR.

I have been trying and trying to bottle feed the kittens with KMR too, have watched every video and instruction, but I can’t get them to take it. They just turn their head away. I don’t want to force it for fear of choking them. I’m just worried they’re not getting enough milk.

Is there anything I can do before the vet visit to help Mom feel better? Pedialyte, more wet food, warm compress on teats, anything?? Has anyone had a similar experience? I’m freaking out here. :(
Thanks, any advice appreciated

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

6kittensTN

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hi, I know I’m going to be recommended to take her to the vet. I plan to, this will be the third time this week I will have taken her. The first time, was to get medicine for worms and fleas. The second time, I was worried she may have had mastitis because her teats seemed swollen and red/bruised to me. The vet said she didn’t have it, and the reason they looked like this was because she was nursing a large litter (6 kittens). They did say that one side of her teats are producing more milk than the other 3.

Last night, as per instructions by the vet, I applied dewormer to the mom (Profender). This morning, she wouldn’t stop meowing. I couldn’t figure out what was wrong. She was eating, pooping, etc. I even gave her KMR because she loves it. As the day went on, she got more and more lethargic. She will barely get up, if her kittens meow she will meow back but won’t go to them. I have brought the kittens to her, 3 at a time so they can get the best chance at a producing teat. They seem to suckle, purr, knead, etc just fine. But the mother will not go to them on her own. The mother will still drink the KMR.

I have been trying and trying to bottle feed the kittens with KMR too, have watched every video and instruction, but I can’t get them to take it. They just turn their head away. I don’t want to force it for fear of choking them. I’m just worried they’re not getting enough milk.

Is there anything I can do before the vet visit to help Mom feel better? Pedialyte, more wet food, warm compress on teats, anything?? Has anyone had a similar experience? I’m freaking out here. :(
I should add: the kittens are only 6 days old. I brought mother in as a pregnant stray.

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
It sounds like she may be allergic to the Profender, or she may have mastitis and need antibiotics.

Vet needs to give her sub-q fluids to rehydrate her.

She may also need anti-nausea meds and an anti-inflammatory.

Do apply warm compresses to her mammary glands and coconut oil to lubricate.

Let us know what the vet says!

6kittensTN 6kittensTN

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise

Re the kittens. Are you weighting them daily? So you know if they add properly, ie 10+ grammes a day? In other words, if they get enough from momma.

Otherwise, kittens whom have momma, are often reluctant to bottle. So its easier with a syringe / dropper. Its more tricky too, but its the way...

Re momma. If she was a stray, the probability is high she was undernourished, and thus, lacks calcium. So give her also much calcium, whatever she takes. KMR you began with is good. If she fancy mild cheese, plain full fat youghurt, are good food sources too.
Her food should be kitten type, with much fat in. Although most wet food you mention has it.

6kittensTN

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
It sounds like she may be allergic to the Profender, or she may have mastitis and need antibiotics.

6kittensTN 6kittensTN
So I took her to the vet, it turns out her milk supply was drying up and only 2 of her teats were producing milk and she just couldn’t keep up with 6 kittens. I don’t know why she was so lethargic, it wasn’t mastitis though, and she is better now in that regard.

I ended up finding a foster to bottle raise 4 of the kittens, while I kept two of them. So far, she is much more responsive, and it attending to the two well. The bottle babies are having a hard time adjusting to the bottle without mom’s milk, the foster tells me. She let me know it may be because they’re just not hungry enough yet to want it, and they should adjust when they get hungry enough.

6kittensTN

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise

6kittensTN 6kittensTN
So I took her to the vet, it turns out her milk supply was drying up and only 2 of her teats were producing milk and she just couldn’t keep up with 6 kittens. I don’t know why she was so lethargic, it wasn’t mastitis though, and she is better now in that regard.

I ended up finding a foster to bottle raise 4 of the kittens, while I kept two of them. So far, she is much more responsive, and it attending to the two well. The bottle babies are having a hard time adjusting to the bottle without mom’s milk, the foster tells me. She let me know it may be because they’re just not hungry enough yet to want it, and they should adjust when they get hungry enough.

6kittensTN

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise

Just an update on this situation:

I worry about the bottle babies, and if I did the right thing. It was what the vet recommended, that we will have to bottle feed them regardless because the mom simply can’t handle 6 kittens with two producing teats. I suppose I just feel bad to separate the others entirely from her. She has been more chatty, perhaps like she is looking for the others, but overall is taking better care of the remaining two now. It’s hard to see them separated, but I just hope it’s for the best.

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Let the foster know that kittens who’ve had a mom often need syringe feeding instead of the bottle, especially ones so young. Here is a helpful video to share with the foster:

Syringe Feeding — Kitten Lady

Vets will often give the mom a shot of oxytocin to stimulate milk production.

I think you did what you felt was right at the time. Hand rearing tiny kittens is a round the clock job the first few weeks.

6kittensTN

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Let the foster know that kittens who’ve had a mom often need syringe feeding instead of the bottle, especially ones so young. Here is a helpful video to share with the foster:

Syringe Feeding — Kitten Lady

Vets will often give the mom a shot of oxytocin to stimulate milk production.

I think you did what you felt was right at the time. Hand rearing tiny kittens is a round the clock job the first few weeks.
Thank you! She let me know that she did get them to drink a little from the syringe, and eventually a couple of them started vigorously eating. It still breaks my heart to think of them missing mom, or mom missing them 😢 But I suppose I can’t dwell on things said and done. I am wondering if it would have been better to find a surrogate nursing cat to put them on instead. However, the lady who I gave them too has been bottle raising orphaned kittens for over 30 years, so I know they are at least in good hands.

6kittensTN

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Thank you! She let me know that she did get them to drink a little from the syringe, and eventually a couple of them started vigorously eating. It still breaks my heart to think of them missing mom, or mom missing them 😢 But I suppose I can’t dwell on things said and done. I am wondering if it would have been better to find a surrogate nursing cat to put them on instead. However, the lady who I gave them too has been bottle raising orphaned kittens for over 30 years, so I know they are at least in good hands.
So yesterday I tried to swap out the cardboard box that mom cat gave birth in with a bigger box since it seemed she was having trouble maneuvering in it to feed her kittens. However, she kept moving them out onto the carpet. After a while, she seemed content with the box and joined them in there for a good while. I went to bed, and when I woke up around three hours later, both kittens were on the floor (carpet) and were separated, I’m not sure how long they were there in that three hour span.

I weighed them and the little one had not gained any weight in 12 hours. They both nursed, and I weighed them afterwards and the little one had gained 4 grams. However, I weighed her again 5 hours later and she lost 2 grams! Is this cause for concern? Even though she has in total gained about 14 grams in 24 hours?

I hope I’m just worrying too much. 😰

6kittensTN

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Its the total most important! There msy be fluctuations during the hours.
14 g in 24 hours is ok!
That’s good to know, she has gained back that weight and is now up +11 for 24hrs. However, I’m still a little concerned that her brother (bigger than she is by a consistent 10g usually) has lost 6g in a matter of 4 hours. Is this big of a weight drop in that amount of time something to worry about? Thank you!!

6kittensTN

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I’m worried about the little one. She is having trouble staying latched on to the teat, it seems. Her breathing seems deeper than her brother’s, and she occasionally sneezes (sometimes stop suckling to sneeze). She has suckled for about an hour and she has only gained 1 gram.
I have a couple videos of her sleeping to see if it’s abnormal. She does seem like kind of a mouth breather? She’s about 8 days old now. Is this a URI? :(

I took her into the bathroom with hot shower steam and tried to syringe feed her without much luck. I set her back with mom and she seemed to be suckling fine but again, only gained 1gram. Her 24 hour total is still ~14 grams.

Do I need to take her to the vet? If it is URI what are her chances?

6kittensTN

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I’m worried about the little one. She is having trouble staying latched on to the teat, it seems. Her breathing seems deeper than her brother’s, and she occasionally sneezes (sometimes stop suckling to sneeze). She has suckled for about an hour and she has only gained 1 gram.
I have a couple videos of her sleeping to see if it’s abnormal. She does seem like kind of a mouth breather? She’s about 8 days old now. Is this a URI? :(

I took her into the bathroom with hot shower steam and tried to syringe feed her without much luck. I set her back with mom and she seemed to be suckling fine but again, only gained 1gram. Her 24 hour total is still ~14 grams.

Do I need to take her to the vet? If it is URI what are her chances?
Oops, I guess I can’t upload a video. Her breathing is just deeper, like it takes more effort for her. Her stomach and body moves more, whereas her brothers breathing seems more subtle.

6kittensTN

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Is there anything that can be done for a neonatal that is only about 8-9 days old with a URI?

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Yes, it sounds like she desperately needs clavamox to clear what is in her chest, which may be pneumonia. She clearly has an infection or may have aspirated milk into her lungs if you tried to hand feed.

This labored breathing is not normal. Get her to a vet and insist on clavamox before it’s too late.

6kittensTN 6kittensTN

6kittensTN

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Yes, it sounds like she desperately needs clavamox to clear what is in her chest, which may be pneumonia. She clearly has an infection or may have aspirated milk into her lungs if you tried to hand feed.

This labored breathing is not normal. Get her to a vet and insist on clavamox before it’s too late.

6kittensTN 6kittensTN
I called the vet and they will get back to me in about an hour to call back. I am going to ask them about the clavamox. Would it be dangerous to try and syringe feed them?