Number Of Litter Boxes--how Many Do You Have?

blob99

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I'll moving out of my roomy 1-bedroom apartment to a 2-story house. The house is not that much bigger in terms of square footage, but it is two stories.

I've been in 1 or 2 bed apartments for a long time now, so I've always had 1 litterbox for my cats.

But, I'm wondering if I need more than one litterbox. My preference is have only one. But the priority, of course, is doing the right thing for the cat.

My cat is young (8 months old), healthy, and very good about using the litterbox. But she has never been in a space as big as the new house will be.

She'll be in a safe room after we move to help her adjust and acclimate and she'll be staying with my boyfriend during the move, so she won't be traumatized by movers and boxes and the hustle and hassle of a move. But I do want to make sure I set up the house correctly.

LTS3

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I'd put one litter box on each floor of the home. If your cat has to go, she can use the closest box instead of going to the other one or just going on the floor.

rubysmama

Forum Helper
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
You can't go wrong having 2 litter boxes, however, your cat being so young would probably be fine with just one.

A friend of mine has a kitten around the same age, and they have 3 stories and only keep 1 litter box in the basement. They originally had a 2nd one on the main floor, but the kitten only used the basement one, so the main floor one was just "in the way", so they got rid of it.

Yanaka

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I have the same configuration--a 2-story row home in Philly (shared between 3 people, calm down LOL). I have two litter boxes, one on each floor, and although they have their "favorite" one on the first floor (because that's where they mainly hang out), they use both. I think they use the second one upstairs when me and my roommates are upstairs. I'm happy I have both!