Nulo Wet Food

faeleen

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Can I please get some opinions on Nulo brand wet food for my newly adopted kitten? Much appreciated!

bonepicker

Animal Lover Extraordinare
Top Cat
Purraise
I just heard of it two weeks ago. I have never tried it, is it fairly new? It looks pretty good, pricey 12 cans for $20. They all seem to have tuna or fish.

mrsgreenjeens

Every Life Should Have Nine Cats
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
It sounds good, and per my carb calculator, is nice and low carb

According to their website, they sell at Petsmart, however, I was just there this weekend, and I sure didn't see this or I might have picked up a can or two.

One thing that disappoints me a little bit though, is their Beef and Lamb actually lists the ingredients as beef, beef broth, turkey, sardines, turkey liver, THEN lamb

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

faeleen

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I actually ended up getting her blue wilderness kitten wet & dry. The wet food I got in 2 different flavors (chicken, then salmon), so I can start rotating her some. I read on one of the kitten articles here that if you rotate them early they will be less picky as adults. Again even though I'm rotating, they are both the same exact brand kitten wet food just different main ingredient. Not changing her dry. Also just gave her the pre/probiotics and she ate them right up! It's 6pm and she will get her second dose of antibiotics at 10.

LTS3

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
http://nulo.com/cat/

The Medal Series line s sold at PeStmart. The Freestyle line is sold at independent pet stores. All are grain-free.

The canned looks ok, if mostly fish based. Both lines have two out of the four that are just meat with no fish.

And intrestingly enough, the canned varieties for both lines are exactly the same in ingredients and nutritional value. The only difference is the label, place sold, and cost. The canned is probably a little cheaper at Petsmart than at an independent pet store and Petsmart often has food on sale.

kkoerner

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I have only tried the turkey and chicken one. It does have tuna, listed 5th, after turkey and chicken though. It is my Cadbury's favorite food. It's a very moist and soft pate.

I've had both the freestyle and medal series...just because of where I was, but as mentioned before, they are the same besides packaging. :)

Last edited:

2bcat

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Did a quick tiny amount of digging on the company background, for those interested in that sort of thing.  Doesn't seem any more worrisome than many other foods I've bought, although the Petsmart deal is likely new and could mean growing pains if it takes off enough.  I only searched for a couple minutes though.

It's been around about 5 years but is growing slow-ish.  This actually bodes well.  There was a new round of financing this year, but it's only in the few million dollar range and spread among several investors.  The other financing was back near the beginning.  This suggests the founders are trying to keep a close hold on how the company operates and grows, sticking to their principles  and keeping the size manageable rather than having to please investors with outsized growth and profit performance too quickly.

They're based in Austin, Texas, and one of their earlier breaks was to get into a local then into regional Whole Foods stores.  (WF is also based in Austin.)  But they have grown from that.

Article from the American-Statesman (Austin newspaper) in 2011:  http://www.statesman.com/news/business/business-is-booming-for-austin-natural-pet-food--1/nRcxm/

Expansion article last year about signing on with a national distributor and Chewy.com, and exiting Whole Foods:  http://reportingtexas.com/austin-natural-pet-food-company-moves-to-become-a-national-brand/  (note, nothing about Petsmart in there, so probably didn't happen yet then).

Quick hit on new financing just a couple weeks ago:  http://www.bizjournals.com/austin/n...pet-food-maker-scores-millions-in-latest.html

Speculation (so far) on my part:  new financing is to accommodate PetSmart expansion.  (Oddly, a bit more searching did not turn up a news article or anything that looked like an announcement.  The Petsmart deal is either really new or being done without a big splash.)  Otherwise their growth would appear to have been without additional cash added since 2010, at least nothing to note in SEC filings.

That's getting a little business geeky I suppose but it struck me as interesting enough to note.  In summary:  I would conclude that assuming sound motives and standards at the beginning they are trying hard to keep it that way even through this growth.  A huge investment or being acquired by another company would be a threat to that

Last edited:

2bcat

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Ingredients:

I suppose it's not bad overall, but I do get annoyed when I see "natural flavors". It's a catch-all that sounds much more harmless than it may really be, and in cat food it should be mostly unnecessary. Pea fiber in the cans, that's not necessary either but it makes it thicker I'm sure. That is in the Turkey & Chicken but not in all of them. Some of the vegetables further down I don't worry about so much because I think they're trying to get specific nutrients out of them. Probably better than a synthetic alternative even if a cat wouldn't eat those things normally.

Is there actually a difference between the Medal and Freestyle other than the label designs and where it's sold? It seems like not. Thus, the two lines is just a marketing decision that they hope will keep both Petsmart and indie retailers happy. Not sure the distinction is enough for that though! They're obviously the same unless the web site is wrong.

Unfortunately that means that all of the varieties that in NAME show only land-based meats also have fish in (tuna in the Turkey & Chicken, sardines in the Beef & Lamb). The Beef and Lamb also has turkey and turkey liver well before lamb in the ingredients. Par for the course there though.  Many other foods that list something & lamb in the name are formulated that way.

So, a mixed bag.  Everything has fish.  The fish sourcing is likely to be ok at least.  Sardines are actually an okay fish to use generally, as is wild caught salmon, in terms of safety.  In terms of cat nutrition and suitability, you'll have to make up your own mind.

Read your ingredients!  Duck & Tuna has chicken as well as turkey liver and even Sardines and Salmon has chicken!  That's just a sampling, read it all carefully.

LTS3

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I have only tried the turkey and chicken one. It does have tuna, listed 5th, after turkey and chicken though.
I should have read the list of ingredients more closely

A little fish / seafood in the diet is ok, IMO. If the food is mostly meat based with some fish, it's fine to feed daily but it also depends on the cat. Some cats may get addicted to even a small amount of fish in an otherwise meat based food.

mrsgreenjeens

Every Life Should Have Nine Cats
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Well, I went to my local Petsmart AGAIN today, and couldn't find this food, so I asked them about it.  They said they might start carrying it in a few months
  So I went to their website and keyed in my zipcode.  Apparently only two Petsmarts carry this within a 20 mile radius of where I live, even though there are several of them a LOT closer.  Not sure it's worth the drive, but if I find myself in the neighborhood, I might try to pick up a can or two.  Always looking for something new.

It's interesting that the Beef/Lamb doesn't have Pea Fiber....it has agar agar as it's thickener, which I was very pleased with.  Odd that it seems to be the only flavor using it, at least of the 3 flavors I looked at.  It's the only one I'm really interested in.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

faeleen

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I got here a tray of the chicken/turkey to try once she finishes some of the others I got for her. She's also tried 1 off the go! Fit +Free and 1 of Merricks which she both really likes (wasn't liking the blue). So hopefully she will like that too so I can keep her on those.

Anne

Site Owner
Staff Member
Admin
Purraise
I just added Nulo products to our reviews section, so anyone is giving it a try, please do add your review!

[product="20483"]Nulo Medalseries Dry Cat Food​[/product]  

[product="20481"]Nulo Medalseries Wet Food Various Recipes Flavors​[/product]  

[product="20482"]Nulo Freestyle Dry Cat Food Various Recipes Flavors​[/product]  

[product="20480"]Nulo Freestyle Grain Free Canned Cat Food Various Recipes Flavors​[/product]  

carol gardy

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I just ordered some Nulo Turkey Chicken  FREE STYLE grain free for my 14 year old cat with cancer tumor on her tail.  I had to change her food because she was on INNOVA cat/Kitten and not only did it have carrageen in it (terrible for pets and could be deadly) t they stopped making it.  Then I tried INSTINCT grain free, carrageen free but she didn't like it. So far she loves this Nulo food and it is agreeing with her.  Instinct was not.  Both products have the best history and ingredients in it including what IT DOESNT HAVE IN IT.  I must have spent 40 hours on line researching.  I can't get this is a pet store, you have to order this on line.  PEOPLE PLEASE CHECK INGREDIENTS.  SOME ITEMS MAY KILL YOUR MAKE YOUR PET SICK.  RESEARCH RESEARCH RESEARCH.

kkoerner

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I just ordered some Nulo Turkey Chicken  FREE STYLE grain free for my 14 year old cat with cancer tumor on her tail.  I had to change her food because she was on INNOVA cat/Kitten and not only did it have carrageen in it (terrible for pets and could be deadly) t they stopped making it.  Then I tried INSTINCT grain free, carrageen free but she didn't like it. So far she loves this Nulo food and it is agreeing with her.  Instinct was not.  Both products have the best history and ingredients in it including what IT DOESNT HAVE IN IT.  I must have spent 40 hours on line researching.  I can't get this is a pet store, you have to order this on line.  PEOPLE PLEASE CHECK INGREDIENTS.  SOME ITEMS MAY KILL YOUR MAKE YOUR PET SICK.  RESEARCH RESEARCH RESEARCH.
You can get this exact food at PetSmart, but it is labeled as Nulo Medal Series. They are the same ingredients, just labeled for independent vs. PetSmart exclusive. It is cheaper at Chewy/online than the price at PetSmart, but if you are wanting to try just one or 2 cans...you can get it.

ghiblithecat

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I tried feeding the Nulo Freestyle chicken to my very NON PICKY cat at the time who (at the time was a kitten who would eat anything) right when I got him from the shelter. This is the only food that he didn't like very much! I wonder why.

carla e

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
So stumbled across this thread. I also stumbled across this food! I have two md/LG cats who at almost 1yr old showed symptoms of food allergies! One always had intermittent diarrhea (managed with probiotics) but when they both developed eosinophilic granulomas (they are siblings) I knew it was serious. So my husband I went on the search for a food that would not set them off!

Everything we were trying was very high quality but they weren't digging on all the different types we were trying. So we were buying expensive food they barely ate. I saw it as a waste of money I wanted them to be enjoying their food. Kibble they loved most of what I brought home but not wet.

I was purusing the aisles at Petsmart and bam saw nulo. The packaging was gorgeous, plain and simple so I gave it a once over of ingredients. Overall ingredients looked great. The fish thing doesn't bother me as long as it's rotated and not always the main ingredient.

My cats loved it! Every single wet food flavor they absolutely love it! And months later no reaction to it thank goodness! I buy every flavor and rotate their feedings. They get wet 2x a day with kibble always available. I feed them the kitten formula still as I recently added a 3rd who is 8mos old. Plus I like the higher protein in kitten foods. And they are actually still growing so it's perfect. For the price the quality is still absolutely amazing. It has saved me lots of money and allows me to feed my guys something they love.

I should also note that I foster kittens. When I have very very sick babies I have given them the nulo and it has sparked their appetite enough to eat on their own. My fosters always sneak into the room to eat the nulo. Every kitty I have given to has loved it.

Sorry for the length but just wanted to share my experience with the food! I am so happy I stumbled upon it! I say everyone should have their kitties try it see how it goes. Great quality and great price. Company also seems great!

ftmba

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I didn't even realize this company was right in my backyard, will be giving the turkey/chicken canned a try :)