Now I Feel Terrible

JPNH

V
Kitten
Purraise
Hi all - First post. Second and third cat. Kestrel and Victoria. They were bonded sisters I recused from a not very nice no kill shelter. They're the most well behaved loving kitties ever. The shelter had them for six months and was having trouple adopting them. Victoria was the runt of the litter.

Little Victoria, has been trying to get a hairball up, she's two, and I smeared some hairball paste on her lower arm.

Now she keeps running away from me and is frightened. I let her smell it firdt and she ran away and wouldn't let me get near. So when she sat down I get it on her arm. It was the first time shes had it. I'm blubbering like a kid. I didn't mean to scare her.

Any tips on administering it in the future so she isn't frightened? Thanks in advance. I'm an emotional wreck right now! The girls below.
cameringo_20190414_002849.jpg

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

JPNH

V
Kitten
Purraise
Sorry should be rescued not recused. Darn phone!

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hi. So sorry it freaked her out! It might have been how you did it, versus the actual hairball paste. Can you try using some butter or margarine from your fingertip instead of putting it on her paw?

Give her some treats that she likes after a bit - she will forgive you, I am sure.

JPNH

V
Kitten
Purraise
Thank you so much! She just rubbed on my leg and I gave her and her sister some catnip. Their favorite! Thanks for tbe response I will try butter in the future.

JPNH

V
Kitten
Purraise
Hi. So sorry it freaked her out! It might have been how you did it, versus the actual hairball paste. Can you try using some butter or margarine from your fingertip instead of putting it on her paw?

Give her some treats that she likes after a bit - she will forgive you, I am sure.
Oops sorry forgot to hit reply. I'm a little green here.

stephanietx

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Welcome to TCS! You have beautiful torties!! I have found treats work well and time.

JPNH

V
Kitten
Purraise
Don't worry we were all green here once too. ;) Welcome to TCS and thank you for adopting Kestrel and Victoria. :heartshape: Here is an Article about how to prevent hairballs that may be helpful for you:
How To Treat - And Prevent - Hairballs In Cats
Thank you so much good info! I had a 20 yo diabetic tortie that passed on four years ago, but she never had a hairball problem She was always able to get them up or out.

Elphaba09

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Cats get over things like that pretty easily. It can be upsetting for you, though, when they are scared. Of my nine, I have one with chronic pancreatitis. When it acts up, I have to give her medicine, food, and water through a syringe. It is upsetting for us both; however, she gets over it as soon as she is feeling better.

Pumpkin, butter, olive oil, sardines in oil, and extra brushing can all help with hairballs.

JPNH

V
Kitten
Purraise
Cats get over things like that pretty easily. It can be upsetting for you, though, when they are scared. Of my nine, I have one with chronic pancreatitis. When it acts up, I have to give her medicine, food, and water through a syringe. It is upsetting for us both; however, she gets over it as soon as she is feeling better.

Pumpkin, butter, olive oil, sardines in oil, and extra brushing can all help with hairballs.
Thank you so much and sorry to hear about the pancreatitus. Poor kitty. Glad kitty has someone like you to help her through it!

Thanks for all the great info. It was the first time Victoria had acted that way so I was afraid she wouldn't trust me. Thinking back though when my previous kitty Sybil was diagnosed with diabetes at 10 we had a couple tense moments giving insulin injections!

maggie101

3 cats
Top Cat
Purraise
I use EZ Egg yolk. It's a powder I mix in their food. I also give them freeze dried chicken treat every night. Something suggested but I don't remember why.

JPNH

V
Kitten
Purraise
I use EZ Egg yolk. It's a powder I mix in their food. I also give them freeze dried chicken treat every night. Something suggested but I don't remember why.
Thanks for the suggestions! I'll look into them certainly.

Keyboardroyale

Mia and Aoife's personal maid
Kitten
Purraise
Don't feel terrible!! I have two scaredy cats that were rescued from abuse! It took me over a year to get the older one to let me touch her without her running away from me and hiding! They still run and hid when they hear the dorbell or see atrangers (aka anyone who is not me lol) but they now ask for cuddles and demand my attention! You have to be patient and work with them at their own pace, so that they are comfortable and associate you with feeling safe. // enough ramble lol-- If you can't smear the hairball paste on her to lick it, can you smear it on some food she might enjoy you giving her? Or switch to hairball treats instead of paste?

JPNH

V
Kitten
Purraise
Th
Don't feel terrible!! I have two scaredy cats that were rescued from abuse! It took me over a year to get the older one to let me touch her without her running away from me and hiding! They still run and hid when they hear the dorbell or see atrangers (aka anyone who is not me lol) but they now ask for cuddles and demand my attention! You have to be patient and work with them at their own pace, so that they are comfortable and associate you with feeling safe. // enough ramble lol-- If you can't smear the hairball paste on her to lick it, can you smear it on some food she might enjoy you giving her? Or switch to hairball treats instead of paste?
Thanks! You're right. I guess I overreacted a bit. Lol. Bought some Greenies hairball treats and gave those yesterday. Her and her sister love love love them. Still going to try the paste again, and some of the suggestions in the thread, just to see how it goes.