Notification alert won't dissappear after tapping it:

IndyJones

Adopt don't shop.
Top Cat
Purraise
There seems to be an issue with notifications not going away if they are for moderator actions such as deleting posts in threads. When the notification is tapped in the dropdown menu you are taken to the thread but the red number stays next to the bell.

Can you please look at this? (Edited to remove personal information)
Screenshot_20231109_214008_Samsung Internet.jpg

mani

Moderator and fervent feline fan
Staff Member
Purraise
It doesn't have anything to do with moderator actions.. that alert number shows up no matter what, and should disappear once you've looked at it.
Has it gone now?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

IndyJones

Adopt don't shop.
Top Cat
Purraise
It is gone now because I cleared it by "marking all as read" that is the only way to remove a moderater action notification.

Touching the alert takes you to the thread where the action took place (as it should) however it does not get marked as " read" after interacting with it.

mani

Staff Member
Purraise
It's not a 'rule' I know of, but it would make sense, as all notification disappear once you're looked at them, and we need to be sure people have seen moderator ones. But we'll look into it.

mani

Staff Member
Purraise
OK.. it must have been an aberration.. I checked and it should disappear without 'marking all as read'.
Keep an eye on it and let us know if it happens again.

tiggerwillow

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Clicking mark all as read is the only way i think to clear moderator notifications

tiggerwillow

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
No, it was just an aberration. They disappear in the same way as all notifications do after viewing.
ok last time I got a notification from a moderator it wouldn't clear unless I clicked mark all as read, clicking on the notification took me to the thread but it didn't make the notification clear

maybe i'm weird idk

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

IndyJones

Adopt don't shop.
Top Cat
Purraise
ok last time I got a notification from a moderator it wouldn't clear unless I clicked mark all as read, clicking on the notification took me to the thread but it didn't make the notification clear

maybe i'm weird idk
It isn't supposed to function that way, the notification should go away when tapped, it shouldn't require the extra steps of going to notifications>show all>mark all as read.

tiggerwillow

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
It isn't supposed to function that way, the notification should go away when tapped, it shouldn't require the extra steps of going to notifications>show all>mark all as read.
to be fair it was a while ago so i don't really remember too well but I know for some reason I had to click mark all as read

idk if i make sense i'm getting mixed up

mani

Staff Member
Purraise
We've checked this pretty thoroughly and that hasn't been the case in all the instances we tried.

Purrfect Meow

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Unfortunately, it does not work. There must be a bug in the system. I have read (meaning I have clicked on) the alert I got, but it does not delete. I will let you know when it goes. I read (click on) it everyday. I can record a video of me clicking on it if you wish and send it to whoever is working on this.

Last edited:

mani

Staff Member
Purraise
Unfortunately, it does not work. There must be a bug in the system. I have read (meaning I have clicked on) the alert I got, but it does not delete. I will let you know when it goes. I read (click on) it everyday. I can record a video of me clicking on it if you wish and send it to whoever is working on this.
We may be talking at cross-purposes here Purrfect Meow Purrfect Meow .
The issue is that the 1 next to the little bell alert icon does not disappear once you've read the alert/s.
Screenshot_20231109_214008_Samsung Internet.jpg

Is that your problem?

Purrfect Meow

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
We may be talking at cross-purposes here Purrfect Meow Purrfect Meow .
The issue is that the 1 next to the little bell alert icon does not disappear once you've read the alert/s.
View attachment 465544
Is that your problem?
What is happening to me is the alert (The actual text) is staying as a yellow item in my alerts and I assume as a result the Bell icon is always showing a 1. Every day I click on the alert and it takes me to the appropriate topic but it would stay as a yellow item on my alerts. I would go through all the other alerts and that alert would remain, not matter how many times you click on it. Normally once you click on an alert it looses its bright yellow line and goes below. This did not happen with this type of Alert. It just stayed there day after day. It appears to be a bug.

Last edited:

tabbytom

Happiness is being owned by a cat
Staff Member
Mentor
Purraise
What is happening to me is the alert (The actual text) is staying as a yellow item in my alerts and I assume as a result the Bell icon is always showing a 1. Every day I click on the alert and it takes me to the appropriate topic but it would stay as a yellow item on my alerts. I would go through all the other alerts and that alert would remain, not matter how many times you click on it. Normally once you click on an alert it looses its bright yellow line and goes below. This did not happen with this type of Alert. It just stayed there day after day. It appears to be a bug.
Can you try rebooting your laptop/computer or restart your tablet or phone? Rebooting or restarting may help clear the cache and clear some bugs that make the program hang.

mani

Staff Member
Purraise
OK. It doesn't happen to many people ... we've checked.
I agree with what tabbytom tabbytom said. I'm not sure, though, that just a reboot would work, although you can try it (the good ole 'have you tried turning it off and back on again?') :biggrin:
But the answer that admin came up with last time was to try clearing your cache and cookies, as we can't find any glitches. :)

AbbysMom

At Abby's beck and call
Staff Member
Purraise
Purrfect Meow Purrfect Meow I'm not sure if this will work, but can you try it?

From teh top menu bar can you click on your username and select Preferences?
IMG_1452.jpg

Can you then scroll down and unclick "Alerts page skips mark read" and then click save and see if that does anything?

IMG_1451.jpg

Purrfect Meow

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Ok here is what I tried, new device (no cookies and no cache) and no change. Tried the preferences change and no change. Tried rebooting and no change. I won’t worry about it. I will use it as a reminder to stay on topic. :)
Can we also add to the title of this thread "Notifications (Alerts)"...... just so future users don't get confused. Thankyou everyone for trying to solve this.

Last edited:

mani

Staff Member
Purraise
It's a mystery! I've sent you a PM Purrfect Meow Purrfect Meow , requesting more detail. :)
However there's one other thing to try.
Go to the alerts drop down box, go to 'show all' in the bottom left hand corner, there's a big heading at the top that gives three options:
ALERT PREFERENCES RESUMMARIZE ALERTS MARK ALL AS READ
Click on the last one and see if it does the trick.

mani

Staff Member
Purraise
It's just mod alerts that get stuck
1702525041864.png

I think we do need to do something about this as it seems like we're 'punishing' people by not allowing the alert to turn off.