Not sure if this has a specific type of breed/name?

leshelby

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Sorry to be posting again so soon, but after reading some more posts in this forum, I realised I always wondered if my cats Dory and Cupcake had a specific breed. I got Dory when I was 12 and always thought she had a unique coat...Gray and white with brown and red tufts here and there..I've never seen another cat like her until I met Cupcake a few years later and she looked exactly like Dory!

I don't have the best pictures of them but here are the ones I could find

Cupcake

Dory

Any ideas? Thanks in advance!

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
The pattern is  "tortoise and tabby", I think. So two different patterns mixed up into one, that is what makes it a little more unusual.

Breed is surely  domestic, moggie as they say lovingly.   97% of cats dont belong to any especial breed, although they sometimes are look alikes of some especial breed.

Good luck!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

leshelby

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Thanks! I've never really considered it could be tortois and tabby mixed.

maewkaew

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
You are right  Dory and Cupcake look like they could be sisters! 

Like Stefan said that's a combination of Tortoiseshell coloring and Tabby pattern.   It makes for some really interesting looking coats .

In TICA ( The International Cat Association)  they would be called  "Torbie " 

In CFA,  the same thing is called a  "Patched Tabby".

That is a pattern name,  not a breed.  I agree with Stefan that your cats are probably like the great majority, not any specific breed ,  but a mix of genes from the general cat population in their part of the world.  

If you're in North America the closest related pedigree breed would probably be American Shorthair.   Cupcake in particular has a look like that except her ears are bigger. 

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

leshelby

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
You are right  Dory and Cupcake look like they could be sisters! 

Like Stefan said that's a combination of Tortoiseshell coloring and Tabby pattern.   It makes for some really interesting looking coats .
 In TICA ( The International Cat Association)  they would be called  "Torbie " 
In CFA,  the same thing is called a  "Patched Tabby".

That is a pattern name,  not a breed.  I agree with Stefan that your cats are probably like the great majority, not any specific breed ,  but a mix of genes from the general cat population in their part of the world.  
 If you're in North America the closest related pedigree breed would probably be American Shorthair.   Cupcake in particular has a look like that except her ears are bigger. 
Thank you for your help! I am located in North America in the states. And you're right, she has huge ears :3