Not quite raw. . .

ldg

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
mschauer mschauer or W Willowy I know some work was put in to improving one of the Dr. Strombeck recipes.

Is it possible to post what the final version of the cooked recipe looked like, so those interested in home cooked have another option?

Thanks!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Willowy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Sorry, I saw this earlier and was going to reply but my phone lost it :(. I'll try to post the actual recipe when I can get to a real computer, but basically I add one ounce per pound each of liver and sardines. And for the vitamin I use either 1 Centrum (and taurine powder) per 2 1/2 pounds or 16 NuCat tabs per pound.

ldg

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
OK, thanks. Just hoping for more cooked recipes was all. There are several people with IBD kitties looking to make homemade without the premixes.

Last edited:

mschauer

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
OK, thanks. Just hoping for more cooked recipes was all. There are several people with IBD kitties looking to make homemade without the premixes.
Have they posted? It's hard to come up with a single recipe that suits everyone. If someone wants to post what ingredients they want to use I can post a recipe.

ldg

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
No. I think maybe lurking. They know they can post and ask if they want to. I just know there is a lot of interest - and could potentially be a LOT more, given so many people with IBD kitties REALLY struggle to find limited ingredient foods - yet so many people are scared of feeding raw, or their kitties don't like it at first, and it's easier to transition to raw from cooked (given IBD is typically "diagnosed" once the cats are older and less flexible in their eating habits).

My only thinking as that some of the Dr. Strombeck recipes were already altered to get rid of the rice, or substitute taurine for oysters, etc., it would be nice if those were posted in the Cooked Recipes thread. It would be really nice to have that as a resource - as those on TCS initially interested in home cooked don't seem to be posting here or sharing recipes if they're pursuing it. :dk: There's just a dearth of options elsewhere on the internet, as we've been discovering, yet there's a real demand.

....and not everyone wants to explore all the minutia of feline nutrition. They just want recipes. How many people did Dr. P help by just posting the recipe - and explaining why everything was in there? It removes the fear factor. :heart2:

Last edited:

mschauer

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
No. I think maybe lurking. They know they can post and ask if they want to. I just know there is a lot of interest - and could potentially be a LOT more, given so many people with IBD kitties REALLY struggle to find limited ingredient foods - yet so many people are scared of feeding raw, or their kitties don't like it at first, and it's easier to transition to raw from cooked (given IBD is typically "diagnosed" once the cats are older and less flexible in their eating habits).

My only thinking as that some of the Dr. Strombeck recipes were already altered to get rid of the rice, or substitute taurine for oysters, etc., it would be nice if those were posted in the Cooked Recipes thread. It would be really nice to have that as a resource - as those on TCS initially interested in home cooked don't seem to be posting here or sharing recipes if they're pursuing it.
There's just a dearth of options elsewhere on the internet, as we've been discovering, yet there's a real demand.

....and not everyone wants to explore all the minutia of feline nutrition. They just want recipes. How many people did Dr. P help by just posting the recipe - and explaining why everything was in there? It removes the fear factor.
 I hear ya.

harleydiva

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
This is actually a very timely post!  (I haven't been around much for the last few weeks.....have been sick, and work has been taking my computer time).

My 3 cats and 3 small dogs have been eating 100% raw for 11 months now.  All of a sudden....they are not particularly happy about it.  The dogs will eat anything you put in front of them....but the cats are getting picky all of a sudden.  Nothing different....same supplements (Alnutrin), and same rotation of a wide variety of proteins.  First they rejected poultry....so I supplied a variety of other proteins they liked (beef, lamb, goat, venison, etc).  Now....they don't seem happy about anything I give them.  

I can only think they are bored.  So....in my continuing efforts to please the little monsters, we are taking a bit of a break.  They are getting raw in the morning, and premium canned in the evening.  They are eating the canned like it is the best thing ever, and tolerating the raw in the morning, but not eating all of it.  

The cooked recipes are interesting at this point.  I would rather they eat all raw....but they are suddenly rejecting it.

Has anyone else experienced this???

goholistic

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Wow! I've heard this from another TCS member, but I believe he/she was feeding ONLY rabbit, and the cats got sick of rabbit. But with all those proteins that you're feeding, I'm really surprised.

I'm sorry I don't have any advice to give, as I don't feed my cats raw (yet).

mschauer

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

This is actually a very timely post!  (I haven't been around much for the last few weeks.....have been sick, and work has been taking my computer time).

My 3 cats and 3 small dogs have been eating 100% raw for 11 months now.  All of a sudden....they are not particularly happy about it.  The dogs will eat anything you put in front of them....but the cats are getting picky all of a sudden.  Nothing different....same supplements (Alnutrin), and same rotation of a wide variety of proteins.  First they rejected poultry....so I supplied a variety of other proteins they liked (beef, lamb, goat, venison, etc).  Now....they don't seem happy about anything I give them.  

I can only think they are bored.  So....in my continuing efforts to please the little monsters, we are taking a bit of a break.  They are getting raw in the morning, and premium canned in the evening.  They are eating the canned like it is the best thing ever, and tolerating the raw in the morning, but not eating all of it.  

The cooked recipes are interesting at this point.  I would rather they eat all raw....but they are suddenly rejecting it.

Has anyone else experienced this???
That's part of the reason I'm still feeding some cooked food. At first I just tried it out of curiosity. But they liked it and they had been getting a little finicky lately so I've keep on with feeding it. They get 2 meals a day of raw a one meal of cooked and other than most of them not liking cooked pork (I'll never make that again!)  they've gone back to cleaning their plates within minutes of me putting their food down.

Last edited:

ldg

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I had the issue of my cats not liking ground food, so I had to start feeding PMR. I went boneless and use either freeze dried bone (calcium hydroxyapatite) or eggshell as the bone replacement (easier to target a specific Ca:p ratio). I also like the lower phosphorus load as most of my cats are technically seniors now. Actually, I guess all of them are.

Sometimes one or two of them get a little fussy, but I put a lot of "stuff" (egg yolk lecithin, probiotics, salmon oil etc.) on most of their meals. So once or twice a week, I give them a meal of plain meat, and that gets them going again. :)

lcat4

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I too feed a combo raw and home cooked diet, but I actually mix the two on the same plate.

One cat will only eat part of her meal if the plate contains all the same food. Put two types of food on her plate and she licks the plate clean.

One cat decided to vomit raw meats other than turkey. I tried cooking those meats, and he eats them just fine.

So now I cook chicken, chuck roasts, venison, and elk, and serve as raw the turkey, egg yolks, and chicken hearts. All meats are balanced with Alnutrin with eggshell. I include chicken liver with all prepared meats, either cooked or raw. They always get raw turkey at every meal with a side of one of the cooked meats. Occasionally I give them a little canned food instead of the cooked meat. One meal a day they also get either the egg yolk or heart. Every meal is a little different from the last and they seem to love it. Plates are licked clean!

Another cat has some health issues that requires a slightly different diet that mschauer helped me with; he only eats cooked.

It takes more time to go the cooked route. But I know they are getting good food, and that makes me and them happy.

colleenchriss

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise

Have they posted? It's hard to come up with a single recipe that suits everyone. If someone wants to post what ingredients they want to use I can post a recipe.
I'm the lurker! You've seen my other post. LDG referred me to the raw/cooked thread.

I am trying out Strombeck's recipes, but I don't want to use any clams/seafood or even fish oils. Beef, chicken, turkey or pork would be fine.

Also, I know not to add the supplements until after cooking, but what about refrigeration? Is anything lost if I refrigerate or freeze what isn't used, as long as I don't try to reheat them?

mschauer

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Have you seen the recipes in this thread:

http://www.thecatsite.com/t/263751/cooked-recipes-thread

With the modifications you're making you're straying pretty far a field from Strombeck's recipes anyway so you might find what you want already posted there.

Refrigeration and freezing has little affect on nutrients. Just be sure to use any liquid that might separate during thawing. As with during cooking nutrients can leach out into that liquid during thawing.

harleydiva

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Well....it seems to be official.  The guys are on a "raw food strike".  I hate it...my cat boxes smell bad again.  If I give them raw....they just smell it and walk away....no matter what it is.  So....we are on a canned vacation right now, which is costing a fortune.  

We have a new baby in the house by the way...... Malachi.....4 month old Platinum Mink Tonkinese kitten.  Drove 3+ hours this weekend to go to a huge CFA show....just for fun.....and my housemate came home with Malachi.  He is currently eating part canned and part Royal Canin dry kitten food (yuck).  They gave us a small bag of the dry....should be just enough to wean him off the dry completely without giving him the runs.

mschauer

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

Well....it seems to be official.  The guys are on a "raw food strike".  I hate it...my cat boxes smell bad again.  If I give them raw....they just smell it and walk away....no matter what it is.  So....we are on a canned vacation right now, which is costing a fortune.  

We have a new baby in the house by the way...... Malachi.....4 month old Platinum Mink Tonkinese kitten.  Drove 3+ hours this weekend to go to a huge CFA show....just for fun.....and my housemate came home with Malachi.  He is currently eating part canned and part Royal Canin dry kitten food (yuck).  They gave us a small bag of the dry....should be just enough to wean him off the dry completely without giving him the runs.
Have you tried a cooked home-made food yet?  Other than my impossibly fussy boy Toby mine all accepted my home-made cooked right away. Toby actually is no more fussy about the cooked food than he is about any other food. 

harleydiva

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I haven't tried the home cooked yet.  Life is kind of crazy right now with work commitments, and I went back to the premium grain free canned, as well as Fresh Pet Vital right now.  I'm feeling like the Fresh Pet is a better alternative at the moment. It does have a small amount of vegetables, but is more like cooked food, with none of the bad stuff that appears in most canned foods.  And.....they like it!!  There are only 2 flavors though, which may be a problem, as they are used to a lot of variety.  

Hopefully, after the first of the year, I can get them back on the raw.  I will be semi-retiring in the spring, which will give me a lot more time to devote to preparing food.

otto

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I'm glad you aren't feeding only the Fresh Pet Vital. That contains spinach. Cats really should not have spinach at all, so keep it to no more than once or twice a week. Spinach contains calcium oxalate which, if given too much, can cause oxalate crystals to form in the urine.