Not enough broth per batch

Mabi_kitty

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I cook boneless skinless chicken thighs in water on low in a pan. Then I cool it and then shred with a fork and knife. But I never have enough broth compared to the amount of meat. It I put too much water in when cooking my cat is less enthusiastic.

So I end up throwing meat away.
I can’t figure out a solution. I only give him chicken. In the past I occasionally did duck, but it’s VERY fatty so I don’t want to do much of that.

I thought of getting chicken legs, boiling and just using primarily the juices & fat to add to what I normally cook (which less people want and are cheaper) but I heard chicken bones have arsenic, though I get him organic. I read even organic have arsenic though. Any ideas?

LTS3

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I don't see how too much water in the pan makes the cooked chicken less appealing to the cat? If there's too much water left after cooking the chicken and you don't need all of it to mix with the cooked chicken, you can just discard it.

Maurey

Maine Coon Madness
Top Cat
Purraise
As above, I'd just discard excess broth over meat. Are you adding a completer to the end result? If not, what you're feeding isn't nutritionally complete, and should compose no more than 10% of his calories.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Mabi_kitty

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I don't see how too much water in the pan makes the cooked chicken less appealing to the cat? If there's too much water left after cooking the chicken and you don't need all of it to mix with the cooked chicken, you can just discard it.
My cat really loves the broth or gravy in home cooked or canned food. He always eats (drinks) that first and then he eats the meat. If the broth is very watery he doesn't like it and sometimes rejects the whole meal. He loves it when the broth is really rich and fatty.

I put about an inch higher than the meat in the pan and cook on low. I shred the chicken and put plenty of broth on his plate. Not a ton but an ample amount. But at some point I've used all the broth up (in my main container of that batch of food) and am left with just meat.

My only thought is to cook a separate amount of meat just for the broth so I have plenty. I guess I could give the spare meat to a family member as I'm vegan.

Mabi_kitty

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
As above, I'd just discard excess broth over meat. Are you adding a completer to the end result? If not, what you're feeding isn't nutritionally complete, and should compose no more than 10% of his calories.
Yes, I add BalanceIT according to their instructions.

Mabi_kitty

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Maybe I just have a weird cat. I don't know. He's very particular. :)

LTS3

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Have you tried making bone broth? You can use it to add to your cooked hicken if needed. Freeze the bone broth in ice cube trays, then store the frozen cubes in a freezer bag or container. Take a cube or two or however many you need out to thaw and use.

Question Re: Making Bone Broth In Crock Pot For Sick Kitties
i Need instructions on how to make broth for cats...very simple instructions

I put about an inch higher than the meat in the pan and cook on low. I shred the chicken and put plenty of broth on his plate. Not a ton but an ample amount. But at some point I've used all the broth up (in my main container of that batch of food) and am left with just meat.
You can use more water than that in the pan to get more "broth".

My only thought is to cook a separate amount of meat just for the broth so I have plenty. I guess I could give the spare meat to a family member as I'm vegan.
Cooked chicken can be frozen for 3 months or so and used as treats or toppers.

Last edited:

Mabi_kitty

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Have you tried making bone broth? You can use it to add to your cooked hicken if needed. Freeze the bone broth in ice cube trays, then store the frozen cubes in a freezer bag or container. Take a cube or two or however many you need out to thaw and use.

You can use more water than that in the panto get more "broth".

These are all great ideas! First I will try adding more water than I now am. I see you're right that with the pan full of chicken thighs and cooking on low I should definitely be able to increase the water.

Also love the idea of making bone broth and freezing it in ice cube trays. No, I've never tried it but will read the how to information. It would be very convenient to have on hand. I could even experiment with making some in different flavors, like turkey.

I didn't realize the chicken could be frozen that long. That's good because I hate wasting food. Thanks for these really good ideas and the link. I'm looking forward to trying these. And I'll start by increasing the water in the first place!

Astragal14

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
These are all great ideas! First I will try adding more water than I now am. I see you're right that with the pan full of chicken thighs and cooking on low I should definitely be able to increase the water.

Also love the idea of making bone broth and freezing it in ice cube trays. No, I've never tried it but will read the how to information. It would be very convenient to have on hand. I could even experiment with making some in different flavors, like turkey.

I didn't realize the chicken could be frozen that long. That's good because I hate wasting food. Thanks for these really good ideas and the link. I'm looking forward to trying these. And I'll start by increasing the water in the first place!
It sounds like your cat prefers the broth to be more concentrated than diluted, is that the case?

My cats love Nugget's Bone Brew, they happily eat this but had no interest in other commercially prepared broths (like Open Farm, Stella & Chewy's). I freeze small amounts in glass baby food jars, and it would be easy to portion it in ice cube trays.
Nugget's Healthy Eats

What about cooking the chicken in a slow cooker? I wonder if the longer cooking time would yield a more concentrated broth.

Mabi_kitty

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
It sounds like your cat prefers the broth to be more concentrated than diluted, is that the case?

My cats love Nugget's Bone Brew, they happily eat this but had no interest in other commercially prepared broths (like Open Farm, Stella & Chewy's). I freeze small amounts in glass baby food jars, and it would be easy to portion it in ice cube trays.
Nugget's Healthy Eats

What about cooking the chicken in a slow cooker? I wonder if the longer cooking time would yield a more concentrated broth.
Yes, he loves more concentrated broth. When I got him I found him by a dumpster, emaciated, and found out he had FIV. He's a high energy kitty, he's small but has a lot of strength, while at the same time he's super sensitive (doesn't deal with coldness, food sensitivities & emotionally).

And I feel like the rich broth really makes him feel better, in addition to the actual meat of course.

That sounds very interesting about Nuggets Bone Brew. I've not heard of that. I will definitely check it out. I'm only feeding him 2 canned foods right now that he seems to tolerate. Having an extra type of broth would be great too. And the idea of freezing portions. Thanks for the link, I'm saving that to investigate!

Slow cooking is an interesting idea that hadn't occurred to me. I cook on low on the stove for the same reason but of course an actual slow cooker would bring out even more juices. Funnily I was looking at one online just today! Also an interesting idea! Thank you!

As a side note he LOVES when I'm cooking his food, lol. He would be over the moon to smell goodness cooking for several hours! I know they mostly lock in the smell but HE would detect it, haha!

Mabi_kitty

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise

You can use more water than that in the pan to get more "broth".

I really wanted to thank you for the encouragement to add more water when cooking. That's worked very well!! It has made it so there's sufficient broth for the whole batch and he has super happily consumed it ALL every time I've fed him! :)

Okay, I also know it seems a bit daft that I didnt consider adding more prior to now. But once I accidentally added way too much water just being dopey and he wouldn't touch his food. Just because I worry about him because he has FIV I was (overly) worried & cautious about putting in too much water after that. But your encouragement made me experiment and has solved the main problem.

I haven't tried the other things yet but intend to. So thanks so much for your encouragement and ideas! 💕

Mabi_kitty

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Also, I forgot to add that I really always wish I could give him more variety because he loves food and eating in general, so it would be great to add more variety. So thank you!