Norwegian Forest Cat?

echo.rory.noodles

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Every time I take our little diva, Echo, to the vet, our vet tech swears she is part Norwegian Forest Cat. I always felt like she maybe had some Ragdoll in her but it’s all just guess work since her mom looks like a regular DSH and her dad is unknown lol.

What do you guys think? Just for funsies. She certainly doesn’t act like either breed - she’s a total brat and not laid-back at all She’s also not huge - about 8.8lbs at 4 years old. She was under 7lbs and pretty small until about a year ago.

Also... does our other kitty look like a maine coon or a himalayan maybe? She’s about a year old and the same size as Echo (above), maybe slightly bigger. We don’t think she’s done growing though. She’s got the personality. Super chill and laidback, gets along with any animal she comes across.

abyeb

Charlie's Purrson
Veteran
Purraise
Echo is gorgeous! I would describe her as a brown and white bicolor Domestic Longhair. Norwegian Forest Cats have longer, thicker fur, as well as a triangular face, and Ragdolls are pointed cats, meaning that they are born white and develop their coloring later. This is partial albinism, which also means that they have blue eyes.

I would describe your lovely black kitty as a black Domestic Longhair. There aren't any breed influences in her, either, that are screaming at me, but another poster might be able to see something that I can't quite put my finger on. Maine Coons would be much bigger, and they also have a more square face and longer fur all over their body. Himalayans, like Ragdolls, are pointed cats, so they have blue eyes, and wouldn't be solid black. Since Himalayans are pointed Persians, they also have a flatter muzzle, even with the "doll-faced" variety.

Both your cats are very cute! If you're curious about their breeds, you could get them DNA tested.

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Nice kitties, domestics each in their fashion.
Brun-white Echo may have Persian in her background. Grandma or such.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

echo.rory.noodles

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Thanks guys! I do agree with you both that Echo doesn’t look like a NFC. Our vet tech was so adamant that she was though and wanted to update her breed in their system and I thought it was weird since she’s of average size and doesn’t have the facial structure of them.

She certainly has quite a personality on her lol. VERY vocal (talks to us all the time), used to play fetch, and very temperamental haha. We love her even if she is “just” a DLH.

abyeb

Charlie's Purrson
Veteran
Purraise
Also wondering if our kitty could possibly be a weegie?! Or what breed she may be..
She’s adorable! I think she is a nice lookalike to a Norwegian Forest Cat. Technically, without papers, she would be considered a Domestic Longhair, but with her appearance, I think she could have some NFC ancestry.

Summercats

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I think Echo looks a bit Siberian looking but not as round faced a bit Norwegian but Norwegians are not very common. Your other kitty looks like an old style Persian before the smooshed face trend.