Non-recognition Two Besties.... Feel so bad...

WillowMarie

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Hiya. I freaked out yesterday and took Persia to the emergency vet. She was there 3-4 hours. Her sister Katrina (not real sisters, but shelter mates when adopted) has been hissing at her, even though Katrina was really excited to walk up to Persia and ended up hissing. Poor Persia is so confused. They normally sleep, groom, play, and interact all day.

I brought Persia home after lunchtime yesterday, so it hasn't been a full 24 hours yet. I thought they'd be fine so I did not separate and Persia was clawing at the door when I tried keeping her in the bedroom after returning. Persia gets a lot of comfort from being around Katrina, so I thought it would be best to release her. Waking this morning, they each were sleeping on a different side of my leg, which I thought was a good sign, but Katrina has hissed a couple times at Persia this morning.

I tried rubbing a sock on each of them, and petting them and swapping which hand I was petting each with multiple times. I tossed toys for them this morning. What else can I do? Worried I ruined their relationship...

susanm9006

Willow
Top Cat
Purraise
It’s temporary, you just have to wait it out. And I wouldn’t worry if all that is happening are some hisses. She is hissing at the odor and not really at Persia.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

WillowMarie

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
It’s temporary, you just have to wait it out. And I wouldn’t worry if all that is happening are some hisses. She is hissing at the odor and not really at Persia.
Ok, thank you. Katrina has swat at her a couple times if Persia gets too close, sometimes she doesn't. Katrina also appeared to snif Persia's head/neck and maybe lick her while they were being fed, but later the next encounter by the food Katrina swatted at Persia.

Is there anything I should watch for that would call for a more worry/different strategy?

susanm9006

Willow
Top Cat
Purraise
No, I don’t think so. Just stick to your normal behavior and routines because any change will just make one or both more nervous and do your best to ignore their interactions. The vet smell will wear off or be replaced by home smells and that will take care of the issue.

WillowMarie

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
No, I don’t think so. Just stick to your normal behavior and routines because any change will just make one or both more nervous and do your best to ignore their interactions. The vet smell will wear off or be replaced by home smells and that will take care of the issue.

Okay, thank you!

sivyaleah

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I'll agree with this tactic. When our kitten was spayed our older one reverted back to the behaviors she exhibited when the kitten first came to us - hissing, etc. I was pretty upset - first kitten - I'd never experienced this before but people here on this site said exactly what was advised above and that's what happened. Took a few days for the older one to settle down and then it was like it never happened. It just has to happen on their own time frame unfortunately, and not much you can do other than perhaps keep a closer eye out on them for a few days just to be on the safe side of things, without getting too overbearing about it :lol: Which I admit was kind of difficult!

mani

Moderator and fervent feline fan
Staff Member
Purraise
This inevitably happens with my two. I thought I'd fix it by taking them both to the vet at the same time.
Nope. :dunno:
Some people swear by a bit of vanilla essence on each cat, at the back of the neck where they can't lick it off. That actually did work for me once, but not again.

WillowMarie

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I'll agree with this tactic. When our kitten was spayed our older one reverted back to the behaviors she exhibited when the kitten first came to us - hissing, etc. I was pretty upset - first kitten - I'd never experienced this before but people here on this site said exactly what was advised above and that's what happened. Took a few days for the older one to settle down and then it was like it never happened. It just has to happen on their own time frame unfortunately, and not much you can do other than perhaps keep a closer eye out on them for a few days just to be on the safe side of things, without getting too overbearing about it :lol: Which I admit was kind of difficult!
Thank you for sharing your experience. They have started rough housing and grooming a bit. Still not seeing them cuddle yet, but it has been warmer and not sure if that would make a difference. Happy that Katrina seems to have calmed down. It is hard not worrying and checking up! haha Us cat parents just love out fur babies so much!

This inevitably happens with my two. I thought I'd fix it by taking them both to the vet at the same time.
Nope. :dunno:
Some people swear by a bit of vanilla essence on each cat, at the back of the neck where they can't lick it off. That actually did work for me once, but not again.
Thanks. I did try the vanilla extract on the back of the neck, but not sure if i put enough or it just wasn't helpful.

Wonder if your cats are too smart, haha. They're like, you tried that with us, not again! That's a bummer it only worked once.

sivyaleah

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I tried the vanilla thing too but nope, did not work although they smelled like cookies for a while so, hey, that was good :lol:

WillowMarie

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I'm concerned they haven't cuddled yet. They have played and chased with each other, but not cuddling :( I'm worried I weakened their bond... Has anyone had this happen, but they started cuddling every day after an extended period of no cuddling?