Non cat related life advice

alysker

(Alice) Girl with a cat
Adult Cat
Purraise
So tomorrow I'll be turning 24! And I've noticed that there seem to be more older people on this forum than younger, maybe young cat ladies aren't as much of a thing lol?
I have a question for anyone who kind of knows what they're doing in life. This year I'll be done with University and I will have to go look for a job. I don't really like my job options though. I always thought I knew what I wanted to do but the more I look into my job options the more depressing and heavy they seem.
This is my second time around in uni so I can't really do anything new because that would be too expensive. And to be fair I don't really know what I want to do with my life either. Everyone around me seems to have it figured out and know what their dream job is. I just don't know, there's nothing I can think of that wouldn't make me sad or bored in the long run. So I guess my question is how did you all know what you were going to do when the time came to it? Everyone keeps telling me "you'll know it when you know it" and "you'll figure it out eventually". I said that too 4 years ago and then 3 and 2 years ago. But now I only have until june to figure it out and I just don't know!
I also used to say I'll stay home with the kids and clean and stuff because to be fair that seems pretty fun to me. So I didn't focus that much on finding my dream job. But now with recent politics and climate change I don't even know if it would be fair to bring children into that.
I seem to be in a quarter life crisis or something 😅

Tik cat's mum

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
The only thing I can say is at 24 I don't think alot of people know what they want from life. Yes your friends may know right now what they want to do but don't be surprised if in a year or two they are looking for a different job and new direction. And remember that whatever you decide you can always change your mind later on. Skills you pick up can transfer to different job's and thing's you enjoy. My daughter was going to be a social worker but changed her mind and became a nursery nurse. I have a son who was in the army he sells property now. Another one did shop work now he works in a bank now. My youngest son hated I.T. at college now that's his job. As you hopefully can see at 24 your allowed to change your mind and be unsure of what you want to do. You'll only find that out by trying different options.

klunick

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I had no clue what I was going to end up doing. Certainly never thought I'd be working for a Police Department. I dropped out of college after 2 years and had no job prospects whatsoever. I ended up going to a temp agency so at least I would be earning some money while getting the opportunity to "try out" different jobs. I ended up getting a two day assignment at a Police Department. Almost didn't go but I did. I guess I impressed the person I was working with so much that he told the boss that I needed to be hired permanently. That was almost 30 years ago and I'm still here!! That 2 day temp job literally changed my life.

My advice is to never turn down an opportunity if you can. You never know what will happen.

Last edited:

di and bob

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
You'll always have these doubts. No job is always 'fun' or exactly what you want to do. Staying home is a full time 'job' too if you have children and a house to look after. Most people do that AND work a 'regular' job. I have changed my career in life so many times. Each one was exciting at first, but the one I stuck with was because it paid so well, the health field. Whatever you choose, any job is what you make it. Don't try to see yourself years down the road, because that is more than likely NOT going to happen, life has a way of changing everything. Just take one day at a time. I can honestly say too, most of us old timers more than likely took any job we could get to get by. Money was hard to get back then. You are lucky you have a choice. You are young enough to always find something else if you are not happy. I was always happy making a difference in someone's world and getting paid well to do it!
PS we 'old timers' here have lots more time most likely to write in here. We are also dedicated to this site because it is so full off knowledgable, true cat lovers! Knowledge comes with experience!

NY cat man

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
When I was 24, once upon a time, I was fresh out of 4 years of military service, and engaged to my future wife. Since then, I have worked on an assembly line, made molds in an iron foundry, got a college degree and worked briefly in a hospital lab, got laid off in favor of someone who would work cheaper, then spent the next 40-some years fixing heavy equipment. In each case, I did what needed to be done, not necessarily what I really wanted to do. In this life, sometimes you have to do the possible instead of waiting for the ideal. Oh, and about those friends of yours? I bet they have just as many questions and doubts as you do, only they conceal it better.
One other thing: She's still my wife.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

alysker

(Alice) Girl with a cat
Adult Cat
Purraise
Thanks for all the kind replies! So many wise words. It's difficult sometimes because I know there will be many options along the way but it still feels like I need to "pick" something. But a funny thing today, my girlfriend sent me a course I could take at home for animal healthcare, and then a job listing for taking care of petting zoo animals while teaching children about animals. It would combine my love for animals with my pedagogy degree. So I might look into that. For now I'll try to remember that whatever i choose after the summer, it doesn't have to be my forever job.

MoochNNoodles

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I remember talking to my mom and unofficial godmom about that when I was college age and both said they still didn’t know what they wanted to do. I’m in my 40s now and I still don’t know what I want to do when my kids are grown. I’ve gotten a degree, worked in 2 completely unrelated fields, and become a homeschooling mom. My jobs came more from WHO I knew. Having a degree in anything helped but I did not find open doors in that field specifically. So don’t limit yourself; it seems like getting going and fostering relationships with people led to jobs. But you aren’t making a lifetime commitment out of it. Getting experience helps and you can change your mind later.

A friend of mine was saying about the same thing about her mother not too long ago. Raising 6 kids, both active duty military herders and a military spouse, she had all kinds of jobs over the years afterward. Now she’s a university professor with a PhD. That variety of jobs turned out to be beneficial in what she teaches.

neely

May the purr be with you
Veteran
Purraise
I've always felt it's difficult to choose a major field to study when you're still in high school before entering college. I actually changed my major once while in college. It was always Education but a different area. Sometimes you find employment because you're in the right place at the right time and it becomes your dream job. Regardless, it's not set in stone and you can change your mind if it's not the right fit for you. Do you have a counselor at the university you can talk with about a particular area of interest? Tell him/her your strong points as well as your passion. Best of luck! 🤗

Kris107

Cat mom, cat foster mom
Alpha Cat
Purraise
24 or rather where you're at in life is a hard time. With school it's all about a goal - graduation. Now it's the "life" part where you have to do something with all that education. The big thing to remind yourself is that it's okay to not know what you want to do right now. I really don't think it's that common for someone to know what they want to do and love it and stick with it. I also sort of fell into a line of work by doing temp jobs. There are SO many different types of jobs out there - jobs you didn't even know existed. Temping is a great way to try out some jobs and seeing what you do/don't want - especially while you're applying and interviewing for a full time position. The job I got from temping (they hired me) allowed me to travel, which, when I was young and single was great! Now, I do something very loosely related and I get to work from home, which I love. I don't expect my jobs to fulfill me. I don't wake up every day JAZZED to go to work. I have my personal life for that. My job does allow me to still use my skills and interests (organization, processes, creative stuff, etc) and apply that to the work. So that being said... Dip your toes in a few things and see what you like and see what you really value. Some, it's a nice paycheck, some it's a positive workplace, some it's schedule flexibility... You'll figure these things out! Just try things out, try to find the silver linings, be a productive member of society, and you'll be fine!

denice

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Don't let indecision paralyze you. Often it is get a job that pays the bills, stay open to other opportunities, and just keep putting one foot in front of the other. I am sure there are things out there that you aren't aware of but will become aware of them as you are moving forward.

Last edited:

alysker

(Alice) Girl with a cat
Adult Cat
Purraise
I've always felt it's difficult to choose a major field to study when you're still in high school before entering college. I actually changed my major once while in college. It was always Education but a different area. Sometimes you find employment because you're in the right place at the right time and it becomes your dream job. Regardless, it's not set in stone and you can change your mind if it's not the right fit for you. Do you have a counselor at the university you can talk with about a particular area of interest? Tell him/her your strong points as well as your passion. Best of luck! 🤗
I've talked to so many people and they all just say follow your heart, which is valid advice ofcourse. The issue is I don't seem to have many passions hahah. But maybe once I've started something I find mildly interesting I will find my passions

MonaLyssa33

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I started college thinking I was going to be a biology major and eventually a veterinarian. I struggled for 3 years and then dropped out but eventually went back to school and it took another 5 years for me to get my 4-year degree in writing. Depression really messes things up. I tried to get a job in communications or writing but I realized that I didn't want to lose my love for writing by having it be my job. So that's my first piece of advice. Get a job you'll enjoy but isn't necessarily a passion.

I went back to school in 2019 to get my Master's in GIS (geographic information systems) and not only was the degree a much better fit for me than writing, it made me realize how much I love data analysis. Data analysis, which is my current job, is not really something you can do as a hobby, so it's been a great fit for me. I enjoy what I do, but it's not something I'm overly passionate about like I am with my hobbies and special interests.

In 7th grade, I had to write an essay called, "My Life in the Year 2020," predicting how my life would be like in 22 years. I managed to find that essay a few years ago and literally the only two things I got correct was the high school I graduated from and that I would have a bunch of animals, which are the most obvious things anyone I know would predict for me. I'm turning 38 in June and I definitely never thought the life I have now is how it would turn out. I thought I'd be a veterinarian, married with kids and a bunch of animals and living in a big house. In reality, I'm a data analyst, never married, living in a modest house with a bunch of animals, and planning on having a kid on my own next year.

A few things I've realized in the last decade is that life is more than work and you should work to live, not live to work. Down time, hobbies, and rest are important and having a good work/life balance is vital. Also, start saving for retirement and investing your money now. I didn't really focus on my finances until the last couple of years and working in a government job for nearly 9 years with a pension is the only reason I'm on a decent path for retirement.

NY cat man

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I started college thinking I was going to be a biology major and eventually a veterinarian. I struggled for 3 years and then dropped out but eventually went back to school and it took another 5 years for me to get my 4-year degree in writing. Depression really messes things up. I tried to get a job in communications or writing but I realized that I didn't want to lose my love for writing by having it be my job. So that's my first piece of advice. Get a job you'll enjoy but isn't necessarily a passion.

I went back to school in 2019 to get my Master's in GIS (geographic information systems) and not only was the degree a much better fit for me than writing, it made me realize how much I love data analysis. Data analysis, which is my current job, is not really something you can do as a hobby, so it's been a great fit for me. I enjoy what I do, but it's not something I'm overly passionate about like I am with my hobbies and special interests.

In 7th grade, I had to write an essay called, "My Life in the Year 2020," predicting how my life would be like in 22 years. I managed to find that essay a few years ago and literally the only two things I got correct was the high school I graduated from and that I would have a bunch of animals, which are the most obvious things anyone I know would predict for me. I'm turning 38 in June and I definitely never thought the life I have now is how it would turn out. I thought I'd be a veterinarian, married with kids and a bunch of animals and living in a big house. In reality, I'm a data analyst, never married, living in a modest house with a bunch of animals, and planning on having a kid on my own next year.

A few things I've realized in the last decade is that life is more than work and you should work to live, not live to work. Down time, hobbies, and rest are important and having a good work/life balance is vital. Also, start saving for retirement and investing your money now. I didn't really focus on my finances until the last couple of years and working in a government job for nearly 9 years with a pension is the only reason I'm on a decent path for retirement.
As to your last point, all I can say is "Amen!" I started an IRA back in 1977, putting in as much as I could afford each month. At the last place I worked, they offered a 401K plan, so I kicked in 10% of my gross pay as well. Michele and I did without a lot of the nicer things, like new vehicles or fancy trips to exotic locations; we just worked and saved, but the upshot is that even though retired, between income from those savings and Social Security, my income almost matches that from when I was working. It's not always easy to do, but saving and investing is insurance against hard times in old age.

Margot Lane

Kitten at heart, not a Top Cat
Top Cat
Purraise
Thanks for all the kind replies! So many wise words. It's difficult sometimes because I know there will be many options along the way but it still feels like I need to "pick" something. But a funny thing today, my girlfriend sent me a course I could take at home for animal healthcare, and then a job listing for taking care of petting zoo animals while teaching children about animals. It would combine my love for animals with my pedagogy degree. So I might look into that. For now I'll try to remember that whatever i choose after the summer, it doesn't have to be my forever job.
I think if you feel something for animals, that could be an exciting path to explore. As you said, it doesn’t have to be your forever job, and, something might surprise you on your way to breaking a few eggs. “Nothing ever becomes real until it is experienced.” -Keats.

…and happy birthday!

Last edited:

alysker

(Alice) Girl with a cat
Adult Cat
Purraise
I think if you feel something for animals, that could be an exciting path to explore. As you said, it doesn’t have to be your forever job, and, something might surprise you on your way to breaking a few eggs. “Nothing ever becomes real until it is experienced.” -Keats.

…and happy birthday!
Thanks! Thanks to everyone really, it has opened my eyes a bit to accepting that I don't have to find everything I want and love immediately after I graduate

maggie101

3 cats
Top Cat
Purraise
My sis graduated in experimental psychology and got a good job but wanted to do something else. She went on a cruise and took some cooking classes,sewing,a wide variety. She met someone and moved to Alaska. Her first job as cleaning dishes. No she does a radio show and cookouts. Still makes hats!

Purrfect Meow

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I can't add anything to what these wonderful people have already offered except to say find a little joy in every day. That in itself may lead you to a path. If you don't have anything that stands out for you, try those things you might like but are not passionate about. You don't half to settle for one thing or one area. In today's world 25% of all jobs change every five years so something in the future may pique your interest for a lifetime, but for today give all the opportunities a go. Evaluate using your own values as you go along. You will get an idea of what you like and dislike. And you always have the people of TheCatSite who seem to have the wisdom of the ages to bounce things off of.

white shadow

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
alysker alysker , Something you said a while back caught my eye, this:
"...my girlfriend sent me a course I could take at home for animal healthcare, and then a job listing for taking care of petting zoo animals while teaching children about animals. It would combine my love for animals with my pedagogy degree. So I might look into that."​
I thought that could still be a lead for you. You likely still have the contact info for that, and perhaps putting a little investigative time into tracking down the players in that scenario, showing your interest, inquiring about 'job shadowing' or volunteer opportunities with that employer could open up something there. Look into what animal care organizations are in your reach, what job positions they have, whether/not they accept job shadowers or volunteers.

I know I mentioned "job shadowing" a couple of times...that would be a great way to accomplish two goals: to find out whether/not you could see yourself doing that job and get yourself the opportunity to both see inside the organization (and discover other jobs they hire for/the 'culture' of the organization etc.) and showcase yourself and your skills to folks who could decide you'd be a great 'fit' for the organization. These job searching skills will work for any workplace.

I could probably go on, but there's likely enough there to get you started. Figure out your 'spare time' now, too and how you could fit those activities into your current daily schedule.

Keep us updated on how it's going!

Almost a "PS': you know, if you would be comfortable enough to provide name of the largest city closest to you, there are enough folks here with enough 'spare time' and willingness to use some of it to root out some potential opportunities for you to explore.

alysker

(Alice) Girl with a cat
Adult Cat
Purraise
alysker alysker , Something you said a while back caught my eye, this:
"...my girlfriend sent me a course I could take at home for animal healthcare, and then a job listing for taking care of petting zoo animals while teaching children about animals. It would combine my love for animals with my pedagogy degree. So I might look into that."​
I thought that could still be a lead for you. You likely still have the contact info for that, and perhaps putting a little investigative time into tracking down the players in that scenario, showing your interest, inquiring about 'job shadowing' or volunteer opportunities with that employer could open up something there. Look into what animal care organizations are in your reach, what job positions they have, whether/not they accept job shadowers or volunteers.

I know I mentioned "job shadowing" a couple of times...that would be a great way to accomplish two goals: to find out whether/not you could see yourself doing that job and get yourself the opportunity to both see inside the organization (and discover other jobs they hire for/the 'culture' of the organization etc.) and showcase yourself and your skills to folks who could decide you'd be a great 'fit' for the organization. These job searching skills will work for any workplace.

I could probably go on, but there's likely enough there to get you started. Figure out your 'spare time' now, too and how you could fit those activities into your current daily schedule.

Keep us updated on how it's going!

Almost a "PS': you know, if you would be comfortable enough to provide name of the largest city closest to you, there are enough folks here with enough 'spare time' and willingness to use some of it to root out some potential opportunities for you to explore.
I actually took the lead and started the course yesterday! It will take around three months of 8 hours a week so that's doable while also finishing my uni degree. I also emailed the job place to see what their opportunities are. Aan to the PS, I live in the Netherlands so I'm not sure people can help with job hunting. Otherwise it would be a great idea!