No Longer Uses Litter Trays Even If Bladder Is Full

SteveJohn

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
My Cat Luna has now completely stopped using the litter trays, probably for about 2 weeks now, she goes out in the morning about 6am - I leave the window open throughout the day for her for food and water. I get her in about 5pm before it gets dark.

She was hissing at me yesterday when I tried picking her up and didn’t move from the same spot for hours and hours. She has been the vets and she has a fever, been given antibiotics injection and a anti inflammatory incase if bites etc. She also had a full bladder.

My question is why is she not using the litter trays even if she wants to go to the toilet, is it because she has now started to go outside more? I still would have thought if she was desperate to go she would use the litter trays inside?

Anyway she is out now playing chasing flies and jumping about so she obviously is quickly back to herself.

susanm9006

Willow
Top Cat
Purraise
How long ago was she at the vet? Did they check to see if she might have bladder stones? How long has she been on antibiotics?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

SteveJohn

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
She went the Vets this morning,he did all sorts of movement on limbs to see if anything was hurting checked her tail etc, took her temp it was very high. She became a bit unhappy last night so I gave her the night to improve and she still seemed nice unhappy. She only had a shot of antibiotics at the vets this morning, they didn’t check for stones they just said she needs a wee. She is about 1 now. She is literally eating,playing and kind of back to herself now. She is a outdoor/indoor cat and goes out early in the morning all day. My only concern is she literally never uses the litter tray anymore and hasn’t done for weeks and she is in at night for about 12 hours. Just wondering is she holding it in until she is let out.

susanm9006

Willow
Top Cat
Purraise
She may be. If she had been urinating in the house somewhere, I think by now you would have smelled it.

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Some day when you plan on being home - at least most of the morning - "forget" to leave window open and see if she resorts to the litter box. If she hasn't peed elsewhere in your house, I presume she will go use the litter box. Then, after a while, whether or not she has used the litter box, you can "remember you forgot to open the window" and let her out.

If you try this experiment and she pees somewhere in your house other than the litter box, you can cuss me out on this thread!! :running: