No Idea What's Wrong With My Cat.

kitty chew

Kitty chew
Adult Cat
Purraise
Hello there, I have two rescue cats Smokey and Pepe, who I love with all my heart. I have had a few health issues with Pepe, but Smokey has been pretty healthy. He is only 4 yrs old, and an indoor cat with a cat run. He has fallen ill, and I have no idea what is wrong with him. The vet thought a virus, as his only symptom was a fever and lethargy. But since yesterday he won't stop vomiting. His fever has gone, but he can' t keep any food down, and I'm worried sick. He stayed overnight at the vet, had xrays, which didn't show anything, and is now on a drip. Waiting for bloodwork. The vet says it is very unusual, and has no idea what might be wrong. No blockage showing up, and he doesn' t chew on things, or eat plants. Any help please!

duckpond

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Sounds like you are doing what you need to do, getting him vet care. Hopefully its just a cat bug and he will be better today! Sometimes my guys have gotten a bug, kind of like we do, and had a day or two of lethargy and vomiting. Normally within 2 or 3 days they are better. I will keep your guy in my thoughts. sending him hugs! :grouphug:

Jem

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Is he home now or still at the vet? You mention that Pepe can't keep any food down. Have you thought about giving him very small meals of wet food, mixed with a bit of pumpkin puree? (plain pumpkin, not pie filling, no spices). The pumpkin can help settle an upset tummy. And the smaller meals should help too, as there isn't too much at once to be digested.
Hopefully it's just a bug and will pass quickly. :crossfingers:

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

kitty chew

Kitty chew
Adult Cat
Purraise
Thankyou Jem Jem . Smokey is still at the vet. I make them bone broth with a bit of mashed pumpkin. They love it. The blood tests came back all ok apart from a drop in white blood cells. I'm in panic mode....

Jem

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Keep in mind that a low white count could still (and usually) means a viral infection. Viruses can often disrupt the work the bone marrow does for a short period. (Bone marrow is where white blood cells come from)
I'm keeping you and Pepe in my thoughts. Hopefully he recovers just fine.