newly rescued kitten won't use litterbox

susan burg

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi cat lovers,

I recently rescued an abandoned kitten.  After a week my baby was coming to my garage to eat.  I was in touch with you on how to convince him to come around.  He is now living in my home!  He is still very vocal (used to scream all night in the bushes) now he is chattering when he isn't sleeping.  

He won't go to his litter box!  When I put him in there he simply falls alseep!!!  What to do?  My 19 year old Smokey has even shown him the ropes but Zorro, the baby doesn't get it!!!

Help!!!

and thanks :-)

MoochNNoodles

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I have heard of cats that were born/raised outdoors needing to start with dirt in the box so they can recognize it as where to go.  Then gradually changing it so the box is first a mix of litter and dirt and then eventually just litter. It can help if you put his droppings in there as well; so he smells it as being a place to go for that.

Good luck!! 

Ms. Freya

Advisor
Veteran
Purraise
Another thing you can try is to add another litter box.

Some cats won't share their litter with another cat, no matter how well they get along. If Smokey also uses the box, it may be that Zorro just isn't a box-sharer and avoids it after that.