Newly adopted cat peed in my shoe and pooped away from litterbox

nuit

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Just adopted a 1 year old cat and I think I'm as stressed out as he is! Any insight on why he would deliberately seek out my shoe to pee in? And then poop on the opposite side of the room to the litterbox (all of this right in front of me while I am watching him in disbelief)??

I've only had him since Sunday and he did use the litterbox normally on the 2nd day. I've been keeping him in a "safe room" (my bedroom) with calming music, lots of toys, comfy places to sleep, window to look out. He has been eating and drinking (crappy dry food but I'll deal with diet changes later).

I've been spending as much time as possible hanging out in the room with him and he's not shown any signs of aggression, not hiding under the bed and likes to play and be petted. The first night he even lay on me the whole night!

That's why I'm so confused why he made this "statement" yesterday with his pee and poop. I can only guess that maybe I left him alone for too long that night (around 1.5 hours) and that made him more anxious? Or can he smell my previous cat who recently died?

Or is this just normal anxiety behaviour due to the change in his living situation? He was surrendered by his past owner and in the past few weeks has been at a couple different homes including foster care as well as the vets where he only just got neutered at 1 year 4 months. I don't know if the rescue org adopted him out too soon or what.

Today he did go pee and poop in his box, but his poops seem almost like diarrhea. I put a new litterbox down where he made the "statement" and got Dr. Elsey's Attract litter and that's what he used - hasn't gone back to the other box. I also got Feliway diffuser to help calm him.

Now I'm anxious and doubting myself - I don't know now if I'm spending too much time monitoring him or too little, and really worried about ongoing soiling issues... I'm dreading introducing him to the rest of the house. Not to mention I don't want him to feel so stressed out! Any insights or advice would be much appreciated!

Jcatbird

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
It could be anxiety, previous cat scents or even trying to mark something that carries your reassuring scent. Loose stool could be diet, anxiety or some other medical issue. Kitty could have worms or some other thing that needs addressing. Has kitty had a thorough vet check? If all checked out well that way then food may need a bit of adjusting. Aside from that, give kitty time. This has all been traumatic going from home to home. Once kitty realizes that your home IS home, things should settle. You are doing great. You have addressed the litter box issue and it is now working? Hopefully that will continue to work. If kitty does poop outside the box, place a little of the poop in the litter box to make sure it is recognized as belonging to kitty and the proper place for going potty. Who knows what this poor baby has experienced along the way to finding you? Keep the box clean and add another box to be sure that kitty has a place for poop and one for pee. Some cats prefer to do each at a separate place. Keep your shoes out of range for now and just keep reassuring kitty that everything is okay. No more moving. Love and family have been found and kitty just needs to know that all is safe and well now. Thank you so much for rescuing this kitty! Being shuffled from one place to another is a very sad thing for any creature and cats don’t love change. Over time they can fail to function and even enter depressive states. You have saved kitty.:rock::heartshape:Please do keep is updated.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

nuit

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
It could be anxiety, previous cat scents or even trying to mark something that carries your reassuring scent. Loose stool could be diet, anxiety or some other medical issue. Kitty could have worms or some other thing that needs addressing. Has kitty had a thorough vet check? If all checked out well that way then food may need a bit of adjusting. Aside from that, give kitty time. This has all been traumatic going from home to home. Once kitty realizes that your home IS home, things should settle. You are doing great. You have addressed the litter box issue and it is now working? Hopefully that will continue to work. If kitty does poop outside the box, place a little of the poop in the litter box to make sure it is recognized as belonging to kitty and the proper place for going potty. Who knows what this poor baby has experienced along the way to finding you? Keep the box clean and add another box to be sure that kitty has a place for poop and one for pee. Some cats prefer to do each at a separate place. Keep your shoes out of range for now and just keep reassuring kitty that everything is okay. No more moving. Love and family have been found and kitty just needs to know that all is safe and well now. Thank you so much for rescuing this kitty! Being shuffled from one place to another is a very sad thing for any creature and cats don’t love change. Over time they can fail to function and even enter depressive states. You have saved kitty.:rock::heartshape:Please do keep is updated.
Thank you so much!

He actually had to go back to the vet for a 2nd surgery as he managed to lick off the stitches from when he got neutered. So there was a deep bleeding ulceration in his scrotum that they had to sew up. He had to stay overnight at the vet's and then a night in foster care (since it's a 2 hr drive from me) so it was another ordeal for him. Now he's back with me and has to wear the cone of shame for 14 days!

Anyway the vet said the diarrhea is from diet or stress. His poops were normal the first day I got him back, but now they've become super soft again and 2-3 times per day. I haven't changed up his food (grain free dry) that he was eating in foster care so I guess it's stress from having to wear the cone? Or just adjusting to his new home in general?

Otherwise, he is using the litterbox properly now and not showing any behavioural issues at all - he's a really sweet and playful cat. Is there anything else you'd suggest or just wait it out?

Jcatbird

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I am so glad you discovered the medical issue. Poor kitty! Great catch on your part! I think monitoring him for now is important. I also think that the loose stool could change as he recovers but keep watch on that. I suppose he was wormed and checked for any parasites? Coccidia is another thing that can cause loose stools. It is something the vet can check for. It’s fairly common. I am leaning towards his medical problem or the food being the cause but only a vet can tell you for sure and since he had normal poop the first day back, I don’t think this is stress related. Hopefully he will improve and it’s so great that he is using the box now! Cats are so smart. They can’t talk but they do show us when something is off with them. He did that by going outside the box. He either knew that would draw your attention or he was just uncomfortable and didn’t want to climb in the box.
Since his poops were normal the first day you got him back, I would ask a few questions. What were they feeding him? If the food isn’t the problem, ask about parasites but do be sure to keep the vet informed. A simple phone call to the vet might tell you what you need to do next. Most vet offices are very helpful that way. A text or email may be a good way to keep them updated too. Please let us know how things are going and Bravo to you for helping this kitty! It’s so great to hear he has begun to settle in now. Playing and happy.:clap2:

nuit

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I am so glad you discovered the medical issue. Poor kitty! Great catch on your part! I think monitoring him for now is important. I also think that the loose stool could change as he recovers but keep watch on that. I suppose he was wormed and checked for any parasites? Coccidia is another thing that can cause loose stools. It is something the vet can check for. It’s fairly common. I am leaning towards his medical problem or the food being the cause but only a vet can tell you for sure and since he had normal poop the first day back, I don’t think this is stress related. Hopefully he will improve and it’s so great that he is using the box now! Cats are so smart. They can’t talk but they do show us when something is off with them. He did that by going outside the box. He either knew that would draw your attention or he was just uncomfortable and didn’t want to climb in the box.
Since his poops were normal the first day you got him back, I would ask a few questions. What were they feeding him? If the food isn’t the problem, ask about parasites but do be sure to keep the vet informed. A simple phone call to the vet might tell you what you need to do next. Most vet offices are very helpful that way. A text or email may be a good way to keep them updated too. Please let us know how things are going and Bravo to you for helping this kitty! It’s so great to hear he has begun to settle in now. Playing and happy.:clap2:
Thank you! I think you're right about it not being stress-related. I made an appointment for him to see the vet tomorrow. My own vet not the one the rescue place uses. I found out today their vet did not actually do a fecal test on him even though I requested it! They just gave him another de-worming pill. I talked to his foster mom today and apparently their vet is not the greatest but the rescue uses them because the prices are reasonable.

So now I'm scared it is something more serious... and possibly the reason he was surrendered by the previous owner. Also I think maybe his poops were normal after the 1st and 2nd surgeries because the anasthesia can be constipating? That would explain why his stools started getting looser after it got out of his system. His food has been the same the whole time.

Otherwise he's otherwise acting very normal and happy, but I'm worried about him (probably because I just lost my previous cat). Hopefully it's just a matter of needing some medication or a diet change!

nuit

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Update - had him checked by my own vet and the diarrhea was from the food! She switched him to some digestive care products and gave a course of probiotic powder. He is pooping normally now! Not sure who is happier about it, him or me :)