Newly adopted 2 year old

Elliotsmomma

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I’ve had Elliot for about 2 months now we rescued him from a shelter he was living outdoor and was trapped with a colony of cats and tamed for adoption.
He has a safe space in my daughters room he comes out in the night now and plays with his toys, looks in the window eats his food and uses his litter box. He also had a cat tower he loves and will sometimes be in it on the morning. He will take treats from me and let me pet him but if I walk in and his standing he hides. He roams the house sometimes in the night but is normal in my daughters room his safe space or in my sons room under the bed.
I have two dogs but was told he would be fine with dogs I’ve been doing the swapping of beds and the food on the other side of the door and taking the dogs in to see him. We had real progress the other day when Elliot was in his cat tower and dogs came in and Elliot just stayed in his tower.

I want him to feel safe and loved but I’m a bit concerned because he stays under the dresser most days now and doesn’t come out until much later he used to come out around feeding time and look at his bowl or meow at my daughter. It’s my first time having a cat and Just don’t know if I’m doing right by him

tabbytom

Happiness is being owned by a cat
Staff Member
Mentor
Purraise
I’ve had Elliot for about 2 months now we rescued him from a shelter he was living outdoor and was trapped with a colony of cats and tamed for adoption.
He has a safe space in my daughters room he comes out in the night now and plays with his toys, looks in the window eats his food and uses his litter box. He also had a cat tower he loves and will sometimes be in it on the morning. He will take treats from me and let me pet him but if I walk in and his standing he hides. He roams the house sometimes in the night but is normal in my daughters room his safe space or in my sons room under the bed.
:hellosmiley: and welcome to TCS!

Thank you for adopting Elliot from the shelter and for giving him a warm and fur-ever loving home and a safe sanctuary to live out his live :clapcat:

No one knows the history of Elliot. What he has gone trough in the past, may have stayed with him and therefore he may display such behavior like hiding when you walk into the room.

To help him overcome this, always announce your arrival by calling out his name sweetly. This is to give him ample time to get ready for your arrival and not appear suddenly which may result in hiding for him. Once you make your announcement of arrival and before entering the room, bend down half way to make yourself look smaller and peek in and see where he is but keep calling his name and see what his reaction is. If he stays where he is or he may even crouch down, move in slowly and tell him mommy loves you. Then you stay put for a moment before making you way right in.
Once he's gotten used to your voice and he'll recognize the sound of your footsteps, he'll be calmer and hopefully will not go into hiding.

Looks like he's settling in quite well except for the issue that you mentioned.

Feel free to ask questions and keep us posted of the progress.

poolcat

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Elliot is just being himself. Every cat has its own tolerance level for change. (It took me forever to learn that.) tabbytom tabbytom made some excellent suggestions that may help and certainly won't hurt. Sounds like you all and he are doing fine. He's a lucky boy to have such a loving home!

Alldara

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
E Elliotsmomma Elliot is very lucky to have someone care and be concerned for him so much. It really sounds like he is settling in well and has all he could need.

Since he was feral, it may take more time than another cat for him to settle in. That's okay. It sounds like it's going very well. tabbytom tabbytom made some excellent suggestions that have also worked well in our home. We've had Magnus 2 years next week and we still do this when guests are over.

Some feliway spray may help. (Or the diffuser if affordable to you)

I also like some cat calming music, especially any with purring. We listen to it from YouTube.

I adopted Lily (RIP) many years ago and she did this at first. After some years she enjoyed guests coming over. It was a VERY slow process. For most of the decade I had her, she would take still an hour of guests being arrived and settled before coming down. But she really became an advocate for cats in general, but mainly black cats. After that hour she was so wonderful, she inspired some adoptions of other cats. It was just patience and encouragement.

misty8723

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I don't think two months is really too long. How does he react/interact with the dogs? Or hasn't he yet? I know the rescue where I volunteer does dog testing, but I don't think it's quite the same as actually living every day with dogs.
When we first adopted Cynthia, she wouldn't come out from under the bed for the longest time. She was a little older, and we suspected she had some trauma in her life. Husband and I would spend time every day lying on the floor next to the bed and just talking to her. Eventually, she did come out, but she was a bit skiddish. If you would reach down to pet her, she would flinch like she was going to be hit. Broke my heart. Also sometimes when she was sleeping she would start shaking. If I petted her and talked to her, she would calm down. Eventually, she realized she was safe here and was one of the sweetest cats I've ever known. But under the bed was still her safe space. Later in her life she had a lot of medical problems (including cancer) and when we would come home from the vet she would spend several hours under the bed.
Also, maybe it's just comfortable under stomething. One of our current cats, Cricket, often spends her day sleeping under the bed, but she's not hiding. If we talk to her, she'll come out. Sometimes cats just find a place they feel comfy to sleep.

di and bob

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Cats spend a LOT of time sleeping in a place they feel safe in, I'm sure that is what yours is doing too. Two months is not long at all. Especially with two dogs present, which are still a danger in his mind. He WILL get used to them and your home, it may just take a little longer than you like. I have had cats take 6-12months to settle in, and there will more than likely be setbacks too. I did not see them at all for many days at a time. Everything sounds really normal to me, just keep any loud noises or quick movements to a minimum right now, never stare at him, that is threatening to a cat, and quietly approach him, but try to let him come to you. Offer and leave treats when you go. These things just take time......