Newborn Kitten Advice Needed Asap

tdurkee

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hello. We had a kitten brought to us this morning. Not sure what happened, but kitten was found with umbilical cord and sac still attached. Kitten and sac had tiny maggots all over it. I was at work, but as soon as my daughter got it, she cut the umbilical cord, and quickly bathed/washed the tiny kitten with a toothbrush. She got all the maggots and dried blood (from its birth) off. Then she put it in a kennel with a blankie and heating pad. Once it was warm enough, she weighed and began bottle feeding. It weighs 3.1 ounces, so from what we've read, it sounds like it needs about 24ml/day. When stimulated, is peed every time and poops every few times. The urine is almost clear now, so a good sign the kitten is no longer dehydrated. The last 2 times she tried to feed it, it wasn't wanting much at all. Before that, it was eating about 2-3ml per feeding. Any advice for us? We want to help this sweet little girl survive ♡ I used to rescue wildlife in my state, so know alot about baby raccoons, squirrel, fox, etc., but this is the first newborn kitten we've ever taken in.

Attachments

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Sounds like your daughter is doing a great job with this kitten, who is very lucky he was found and rescued.

Continue with what you are doing for now. The kitten should eat about 2mLs every 2 hours around the clock for now. Weigh daily.

Keep up the nice job and keep us posted.

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
As I understand it, helping baby squirrells and baby cats is pretty alike. For example, both manage goats milk and KMR in powder. And a drop of simeticone if necessary.... :)

As a rule of thumb, to save a healthy orphan is usually much easier than to save a sickly orphan.

So lets dont shout hurray too early, but we can be reasonably optimistic; good care should give this baby excellent chances.

catsknowme

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Are you able to buy colostrum? It is essential for the kitten's immune system, esp. after the germs from the flies and maggots. Most goat breeders keep some in their freezer. I have also used the multi-species colostrum powder from the feedstore. Kittens get colostrum in the first 18-24 hours of life before the queen's milk comes in. Even if the kitten has been given kmr, it is a good idea to give colostrum. Please keep us updated on the little one's progress. Prayers and vibes for the baby's health.

catsknowme

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I forgot to ask if the baby is being burped after every feeding. I assume that in reading up on it, you already know about that. Myself, I keep the kitten wrapped up in its "burrito" and put it upright on my shoulder and gently jiggle the kitten up and down (kittens with their mom crawl up onto her side, while she in laying down in the "snack bar is open" position). If that doesnt work, I lightly tap between the shoulder blades. If the burp is a big one, I offer more food.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

tdurkee

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Thanks everyone, so truly appreciate it!!! My daughter just turned 13, but has been doing rescue work with me since she was 9 ♡ I actually have some colostrum on hand, that has never been opened this season, so I will get her started on that right away. She's a strong little girl, my daughter named her Emerald, but calls her Emmy ♡

tdurkee

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hello. The kitten I posted about yesterday seemed to be doing well until this afternoon. Now it won't hardly eat and seems to be getting weak :( Her poop has turned almost clear yellow and like water. What do we do?

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
first of all, you must give her electrolytes. flavorless pedialyte is best, but if you dont have at hand, make your own:
say a cup of water, a teaspoon honey or white caro sugar, not quite half of teaspoon salt. Kitchen salt is OK, but if you have kitchen minerale salt, its even better.

If you have access to minerale water (containing lotsa of salts) you can use this as a base.

Another receipt, is use water after overcooked rice, and add salt as above.

Do it immediately. Forcefeed this pedialyte if necessary.

If she is very weak, begin with smearing some sweet water with honey on her lips and gum - gives quick energy.

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
There may be more to do, to fight against the self cause of the watery diarrhea - I havent read your tread.

But with watery diarrhea, this pedialyte treatment is a must. Imeddiately asap, Red Alert.

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Good! Give rather much. She mustnt get dehydrated nor get too little salts. I dont know the exact amounts, but too much peidialyte is NOT dangerous. She will pee out the excess.

Also, be sure she is warm and comfortable. The severly sick cang regulate their body temp. In practice she needs some sort of warming pad or IR-warming lamp. But if its very hot at yyour place, she may need some chilling off instead.

Good with massage, especielly of the limbs. You can use a towel, or a brush - perhaps a toothbrush... It feels nice, and it help the small muscles and blood going....
Giving her Pedialyte right now

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Can you get her to the vet?

Yellow liquid diarrhea is serious. She probably needs Albon and an anti-diarrheal medicine. She sounds very sick.

Clear pedialyte will replenish necessary fluids, and honey will perk her up, but she needs medical help quickly!

tdurkee

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
All the vets around here are closed for the day, but I will get her in asap tomorrow.

tdurkee

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
The kitten won't eat at all, even with the honey mixture on her gums :(

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Are you able to get water or pedialyte into her with a syringe?

How long has it been since her last meal?

How is her breathing?

Do you have an emergency vet in your area?

tdurkee

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Update, she drank 3ml of Pedialyte. We did put a little bit of childrens probiotic in it to help her poop. She has a nice round belly, and her last poop wasn't as watery. It has some yellow "chunks" in it. She is more active now too.