Newborn baby not pooping

Mamanyt1953

Rules my home with an iron paw
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Swooooooooon!  Oh that precious little face!  I love this age when they are all wide eyes and fumbly feet!  and WODGY WIDDLE TAILS!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

kntrygrl256

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
He is now getting out of his carrier and walking around so I put him in my cage so he will be safe. He has plenty of room to walk around and a corner to go back to with the heating pad so he can nap.

Lately we have been going from good poops to diarrhea. He is still growing like a weed and very active. His teeth are starting to come in and his little nips are getting sharp so it's time to start "mommy" training him not to bit so hard. Any ideas????

I squeal and tap his head lightly with my finger. It stops him each time but I know I will need more soon.

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Has he been treated for parasites? That could cause the diarrhea.

All kittens without a mom go through the "biting" stage. Continue what you are doing. You can also scruff him and pin him down for a few seconds. That's what mom cats do. Make sure he has toys he can bite and play with also. When you feel he's ready, introduce a string toy he can chase to get his energy out.

kntrygrl256

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
He's about 4 weeks. Isn't he too young to treat for parasites now?

He has a ball on a string tied up in his cage but not too low for him to get tangled up in. I will find some toys to put in his pen.

kntrygrl256

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
At what age do they start peeing and pooping on their own?

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
He should be able to go on his own now, but if he had a mom she would still be licking and cleaning him at this age.

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Then you should probably continue stimulating him for awhile longer. He may not be quite ready yet. [emoji]128522[/emoji]

kntrygrl256

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I put a training pad in his pen so when he decided to he would learn to go in one place. I made sure it was one that he had already used. I went home for lunch today and he had used the bathroom on the pad. He did both!!! I was so happy and proud of him!!!

Here is a picture of him with Santa on Saturday while we were helping with the adoptions for the animal shelter.

Last edited:

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
How cute! If he's using the training pad, then you can introduce the litter box now. [emoji]128571[/emoji]

kntrygrl256

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Update on Tigger.

He is doing great. He is now eating some wet food mixed with his milk. I still give him a bottle just to make sure he's getting enough nutrients and fluids. He is taking care of his own "business" now so that's great. We have let him out with our resident cats hoping they will teach him some manners on biting. One of them has really taken to him and has become his adopted mom. She is teaching him a lot on being a cat.

Here are a few pictures I took a couple days ago.

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Oh, how sweet! I know you must be in love with this baby! It's great that one of your resident cats is teaching manners. It's so good for him to be with an adult cat. Nice job! [emoji]128571[/emoji]

kntrygrl256

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Oh, how sweet! I know you must be in love with this baby! It's great that one of your resident cats is teaching manners. It's so good for him to be with an adult cat. Nice job! [emoji]128571[/emoji]
Yes, I do love him dearly but I will be signing him up at the shelter I work with so he can find his forever home. Between my 2 and my DD's 3, plus the fosters I work with, I can't have another one. It's just too many. I will keep him until he is ready to be neutered and vetted then we will put him up for adoption.

Primula

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Yes, I do love him dearly but I will be signing him up at the shelter I work with so he can find his forever home. Between my 2 and my DD's 3, plus the fosters I work with, I can't have another one. It's just too many. I will keep him until he is ready to be neutered and vetted then we will put him up for adoption.
This is why I don't do your kind of work. I would never be able to give him up.

kntrygrl256

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
This is why I don't do your kind of work. I would never be able to give him up.
It's not easy at first, but I know I don't have the room or time to give him all the love and attention he will need so I will make sure he goes to a loving home where he can get all the love and attention he needs.

It was really hard to let my first litter go, but once I met the adoptees and have kept in touch with them, it makes it all better. I get messages and pictures of my foster babies as they grow up.

It makes my heart happy that they are all in loving forever homes and are cherished so much.

Mamanyt1953

Rules my home with an iron paw
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
OH HOW SWEET!  And isn't it wonderful that one of your cats has taken over his education in how to be a proper feline!  That's the hardest thing for these little orphans to learn, and we have such a handicap when it comes to teaching them that...not being cats ourselves, and all!  Best of all possible worlds for this little guy.  I am sure that he will find a wonderful forever home when the time comes!