Newborn baby not pooping

kntrygrl256

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
A co-worker found a newborn yesterday. It's maybe a week old. The umbilical cord hasn't been off long.

They brought him to me and he made it through the night. He is eating well every two hours. I weighed him at 8 pm last night and he weighted 4 oz/113.39 g. I am feeding him KMR and used a little honey in it to stimulate him to eat because it had been at least 6 hours between them finding him and me getting him home to feed him. Between 6 pm last night to 6 am this morning he ate about 1.5 Tbsp.

He won't use the bottle but I am feeding him with a dropper because all of my syringes were lost during my move and I haven't needed to get any more. I will be getting some more today so I can measure better.

Any way, he is peeing after every feeding and even though I am stimulating him, he hasn't pooped. I'm not sure what else I need to do to get him to poop. I've never had any problems with this before.

Here are some pictures.

Mamanyt1953

Rules my home with an iron paw
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
You can add a few drops  of olive oil to his meals.  That should get things moving along.  Trying to think of which threads we were discussing this in, for a better amount for you...will continue to try to remember. 

Best of luck with that precious baby boy.

kittens mom

Kittens life was lost to a negligent veterinarian.
Top Cat
Purraise
There are a lot of experts here but myself I would call my vet and ask and likely take the baby in for a check up or call a local cat rescue that handles newborns. Unless you are keeping the baby it would be better at this age if they could slip him into a nursing mothers litter. However the bond you form with them when you hand raise is wonderful beyond words. I used the pure salmon oil when Toad got backed up.

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
As the others said, some oil - coldpressed olive or canola oil,  or some other oil.  Food grade minerale oil is even more potent - for example liquid paraffine.

But good quality food oil have the advantage, tis good nourishment by itself.

Not too much,  two drops at this age, and should begin to work after several helpings.

Be sure he gets enough fluids - so perhaps some drops of water between the feedings...

Im sure you know the basics of stimulation?  You know the trick with running warm water?

Re the feeding as such. You know its 8 ml of goat mil or KMR  / oz a day?  as he is 4 o at this moment, it gives 32 ml during 24 hours...

@kntrygrl256

Last edited:

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
How's it going? It can take a day or two for the baby to poop since he's going from mom's milk to formula.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

kntrygrl256

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Good news this morning!

Last night I stimulated, used a swab with warm water and dabbed but nothing. So early this morning I got a thermometer with petroleum jelly and inserted it, just the tip. I added a couple drops of olive oil to his feeding afterward and stimulated with the swab again. He pooped!

It was a little compacted at first then softer. I am a happy mommy.

I can't get him to take the nipple still. I'm trying to find a small one. He latches on great with the dropper. I'm also getting a syringe so that will be easier to measure his food.

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Good news this morning!

Last night I stimulated, used a swab with warm water and dabbed but nothing. So early this morning I got a thermometer with petroleum jelly and inserted it, just the tip. I added a couple drops of olive oil to his feeding afterward and stimulated with the swab again. He pooped!

It was a little compacted at first then softer. I am a happy mommy.

I can't get him to take the nipple still. I'm trying to find a small one. He latches on great with the dropper. I'm also getting a syringe so that will be easier to measure his food.
re the feeding.  Another alterntive is to use a little sponge, preferably such a as used for make up.  You drench it with kmr or goats milk and he sucks of it...  Its easier for some.  In your other hand you hold the syringe or dropper, and drop on more as he suckles.

This with thermometer and petroleum jelly would be next step in the ladder.  Although we usually recommend   a sliver of a glycerine cone,  such as used for humans with constipation - but just a tiny sliver.   Anyway, you found a working solution, so who is complaining?    :)

After you got him to contribute regularly,  diminish the oil portions to just one drop at a meal, you dont want it to  be a diarrheatish instead...

Mamanyt1953

Rules my home with an iron paw
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
I am so thrilled that he is getting things going again!  That's a huge step in the right direction!

kntrygrl256

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I spoke too soon. He has pooped a couple of times with stimulation but not before it gets firm. It take a lot of stimulation to get him to poop. He doesn't after each meal, only urinates. Any stimulation will cause him to urinate, but no poop.

It took almost an hour yesterday to get him to finally poop and the first few were like rabbit pills, firm and round. after that, it was soft like normal. I have tried everything I found but still having problems.

I added a few drops of olive oil to his KMR, I added more water, I held his bottom under running warm water. Using the thermometer with Vaseline seems to help. I am going to use the glycerin sliver  like @StefanZ  and hope this will work. 

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise

I spoke too soon. He has pooped a couple of times with stimulation but not before it gets firm. It take a lot of stimulation to get him to poop. He doesn't after each meal, only urinates. Any stimulation will cause him to urinate, but no poop.

It took almost an hour yesterday to get him to finally poop and the first few were like rabbit pills, firm and round. after that, it was soft like normal. I have tried everything I found but still having problems.

I added a few drops of olive oil to his KMR, I added more water, I held his bottom under running warm water. Using the thermometer with Vaseline seems to help. I am going to use the glycerin sliver  like @StefanZ  and hope this will work. 
This is an old trick.  Catwoman707 suggest a reinforcement, to tap with your other forefinger on the behind - it feels alike moms tongue licking.  Often works miracles

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Also, he may not poop after every meal. Not all kittens do. He may only go once a day. Putting oil in every single bottle will help. Is he getting enough formula each day?

kntrygrl256

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
We have finally gotten into a good routine and he poops pretty good now. He is eating great every two hours. My DD and I are feeding him around the clock. I even take him to work with me so DD can get some sleep. She feeds at night and I feed during the day. Things have been hectic so I haven't been able to put his weight. He is gaining weigh so that's great. I'll weigh him tonight and try to get it posted.

His eyes are open and he is trying his best to crawl all over the place. I am so happy for him. I hate to imagine what would have happened to him if they didn't bring him to me. I already found him a home. My DD's boyfriend is going to take him when he gets neutered. He is also going in halves on the neuter. His name is Tigger.

This picture was the day before yesterday. They are all the way open now and he is two weeks old today as best as I can figure.