New With Question : )

Sarawyn

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi everyone. This is my first time posting and I'm glad to be here. I've been wondering something for awhile, and thought I'd post. My cat George (4 years old) loves to play and I usually play with him like twice a day for about a half hour or so. Recently my Dad had surgery and has been in the hospital, nursing home, now a rehab. So instead of being home with my lil guy, I've been gone several hours each day, and often can't play with him as much as I usually do. I'm wondering if cats get "mad" or have hurt feelings if we don't play with them, and if they remember things and think "Well, she didn't play with me today so to heck with her!" lol

The truth is, I feel guilty when I can't give him playtime, and so I'm hoping the lil guy forgets and then feels confident to come ask me again.

PS Yes, I spend too much time with my cat! lol

Thanks everyone,
Sarawyn

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hi! Welcome!!
How has George been acting these past days when you've returned after being gone?

Cats don't hold grudges and they are very resilient and forgiving. He might be picking up on some stress of yours but other than that, he will love you just the same :)

kissthisangel

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Hi Sarawyn and welcome.

In short No, your cat will not resent you for not playing. Cats do not have the same range of emotions that we possess. At worst your cat may be a little bored or frustrated or confused if you have no time to play at all. Not great, but can't be helped right now.

Your cat will be used to a routine though, what you can do in this situation is offer plenty of toys in the environment to ensure your cat is able to play when they want he should always have an oultlet for his energy, like a mouse toy, a treat toy etc. It doesn't always need to be interactive with you.

If you do this and then play when you can, your cat will continue to be content and you don't need to worry about leaving him for longer periods or putting a play session on hold to care for your Dad.

rubysmama

Forum Helper
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hello and welcome to TCS. Sorry about your Dad's health issues. Hopefully he'll make a complete recovery.

I don't think cats get "mad" or have hurt feelings when we don't have as much time to spend with them. But they might get bored.

Here's a TCS article to help remedy that:
Bored Cat? What Cat Owners Need To Know (including 10 Actionable Tips)

danteshuman

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I think your cat may be bored or a little lonely. I'm so sorry for what you are going through, I know how stressing family medical health issues can be.

My go to answer for cat boredom is to get a bird feeder and hang it outside in view of a window (preferably from a tre.)

My go to answer for lonelyness is to get your cat a kitten that matches your cat's temperament ..... however given your current situation I would hold off on that. No reason to add stress upon stress.... and kittens are cute stress.

I think if you cuddle him at night and he can sleep with you, he will be fine.

:vibes::grouphug: