New With Question

Ninipow13

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hey there
I never introduced myself in this thread but I wanted to give a quick introduction and I also have a question.
My name is Isabelle and I live in Indiana. I grew up in Europe in a older house in a small town. My parents always had a dog and I had my first cat as a teenager. I had found her in my town, took her home and took care of her. As I was feeding her, another stray cat would approach us and I started feeding her too but she wasn’t as friendly.
Little did I know, they were both pregnant and both delivered a litter. I always senses their pregnancy and I knew the moment they gave birth, I always found their babies. I took care of some of them and some found new homes and some took off. It was an indoor-outdoor situation in a country setting.
I moved to Indiana in my twenties and after my second child was born we adopted a female kitten. I had her vaccinated and spayed as soon as I could. We took care of Bootsy as best as we could but I believe she had mental issues. She was mean, selfish and crazy. She was never very affectionate and would often scratch or bite us if we didn’t feed her fast enough. No kidding, I had a swat team around my house because she would be in-out-in-out the house all day, all night and when I was at work she wanted to come back in but I wasn’t there so she scratched and scratched until her paws bled. When maintenance came over, they saw the blood splats and thought there was an emergency. She got me in trouble at my first apartments and we moved for her. Now the second apartments was giving us a hard time because she would never stop scratching and ruining the door and weather strip. And she would harass our neighbors and they complained. But I believe pets are for life so we kept Bootsy for 8 years until she left herself. My new husband wanted a cat too so we got a younger boy cat and Bootsy was not having that. She was aggressive and mean towards us and the cat. She took off. Returned a few weeks later and disseappeared when she saw that Jack was still with us.
So now Jack was a little lonely and still playful so I found Pepper, a young gray kitten. I was home on maternity leave because I had given birth to my 4th baby and me Pepper and the baby bonded. Pepper was a cuddle baby and would always join us when I would sit and nurse the baby or when we would take naps. She was a little bit stubborn and the litter training took a little longer but she was a sweety.
We then bought a house in the Summer of 2018 and as I was loading up the car, going in and out the apartment, it was hot and the baby was cranky so I would take many breaks and each break Pepper would come sit with us right away. But I was stressed because I didn’t have a lot of time because I had to go pick up my husband. Somehow Pepper slipped out of the house :( because when we returned a few days later she was gone. Oh I felt and still feel terrible for this. We searched and searched and searched and she was nowhere to be found. We asked neighbors and nobody had seen her. I don’t think I’ll ever be able to forgive myself for that. But I do hope someone took her in and she got a new home.
So when we moved Bootsy came to say hi, the day of the move and we were able to catch her so we brought her and Jackson with us to our new house.
But Bootsy still had no interest of being an indoor cat so she’s stayed away. Haven’t seen her for maybe 4 months now.
So we were back down to 1 cat so after a few weeks we got our Fluffy. He was very tiny and young when we got him. But Jack didn’t have much interest in him.
Now Jack got older and started crying and crying more to get outside. And we made the mistake to allow him to go outside but then one time he was gone for a week. He came back and stayed close and then he left again. Now it’s been a few months since we’ve last seen Jack. :(
So back down to 1 cat. Fluffy is being spoiled and finally growing but I feel cats need a companion so I searched for a second cat and found a sister and brother duo and I decided to adopt them both so we could keep them together. So now we have 3 cats. Fluffy, cookie and Snowy or snowflake.
I’ve had such bad luck with my cats disappearing and choosing to be outdoors that I cannot and will not allow this to happen again. I’ve invested more in scratch poles and cat trees and will never allow a cat outside again.

Now my question and I really know the answer but when I was searching for a new cat a few weeks ago, the shelter had an older cat that was a surrender and I kinda fell in love with her. She’s 12 years old and I wanted to adopt her but with Fluffy being so young and playful and having young children in the house, I wasn’t sure if we would be a good fit for her? I just don’t want her to live her last years in a shelter especially if she’s been in a house her whole life and I don’t want her to be euthanized either. But now we have 3 kittens. I know I shouldn’t adopt her. I think 3 cats is enough but I just can’t stop thinking about her. .

rubysmama

Forum Helper
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hello and welcome to TCS. :wave2: Sorry you had so much sadness with your former cats. I hope things go better with these three. :crossfingers:

And do tell us more about them, and post pics, if you can. :camera:
How To Add A Picture To Your Forum Post

About the 12 year old cat at the shelter, I'm not sure any of us can really answer the "should you adopt her too" question. It really depends on your family's situation, both housing-wise, and financial.

Unfortunately, at 12 years old, she's a senior, and could soon develop heath problems. You'd also have to consider whether she would adjust to living in a new home with 2 kittens, plus a 3rd other cat.

Not to say it couldn't work. Lots of members here have multi-cat families. But it's not a decision to make hastily.

Here's a couple TCS articles that might help with your decision.
Your Second Cat: How To Choose The Best Friend For Kitty (I know this would actually be your 4th cat)
The Multi-cat Household
Why You Should Adopt A Senior Cat

Plus here's a recent thread on How Many Cats/animals Do You Believe Is Too Much For Someone To Handle?

tabbytom

Happiness is being owned by a cat
Staff Member
Mentor
Purraise
IMG_3363.GIF
to you Ninipow13, on behalf of The Catsite community, a warm
IMG_3138.GIF

So glad that you’ve joined this site and you are in the right place for all things cat and this site is loaded with tons of rich resources and you’ll find friendly and helpful cats around and many of our cats are very knowledgeable in cat related stuffs.

rubysmama rubysmama has great articles for you!

New Here? I Have A Few Suggestions For You!
How To Add A Picture To Your Forum Post
Community Guidelines & Practices - Frequently Asked Questions
Forum Rules

Feel free to ask questions if you have any and start a new thread of your own and post them under the appropriate forum headings and do check out the many informative articles we have here in Articles | The Cat Site

Enjoy your stay and see ya around :wink: