New to Ebay

roxy_loves_cj

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Well I finally got my nerve up to start selling on ebay. I went to my local store and bought 3 items to start with. 2 Lauren Ralph Lauren wallets in a croc sort of pattern one in bright pink and andother in turquoise. I am selling them for $40 dollars each (MSRP is $55). I also bought a Roxy Bikini that is pink brown and white halter style, and plan on selling it for $50 (bottoms MRSP $38.00, top MRSP $ 42.00 size medium). Now I have come home, taken pics (about 3 clear pics of each item) and not sure what to do next.

I am not sure how to make these items something people want, or even what to call them in the title. Can you guys help?

I am seeing if I can make enough at this to support my purse addiction. I am so addicted to coach purses, but I dont make enough to buy the ones I want.

menagerie mama

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I haven't sold, but one piece of advice I do have, make sure all your title words are spelled correctly, so people searching will for sure come across yours! I know it sounds "well, duh!" but I've seen MANY posts on there that were misspelled! Good luck, it should be a success when you get used to it, people will buy anything!

lunasmom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I've sold in the past and sometimes still sell. I would do a search on the items you bought. Make sure your prices are competitive with other sellers and not too high or low.
Be as descriptive as possible and also pay the extra $0.25 for the Gallery Picture. This way the people that click on your auctions are interested bidders. Doesn't necessarily mean they'll bid, but your hits will tell you how many people are interested.

Good Luck!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

roxy_loves_cj

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Thanks for the hints guys, I am really going to try to make a go at this.

Sar: If you really want that roxy bikini in small I will go and see what I can find. They had a bunch of them, but I figured medium was the most common size.

Is the gallery pic the one that comes up on the search lists? I read the part about pricing for ads and stuff, but on average how much would you say it costs to sell on ebay? I am estimating $5 an ad. Is there also a good way to estimate shipping or do I need to just box it up and take it to the post office before I even try to sell it?

momofmany

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I always research things first before I try to sell them. What you think may be cool may not sell on e-bay. If you are registered as a seller, you can do a search for your item and on the left side there is a box to check for items sold - it will show you completed auctions and whether or not the items sold and for what price. I did that when I was thinking about donating my 25 year old Revere Ware pots and pans to Goodwill, realized that virtually every last vintage one sells, and made over $300 on the set.

If you sell enough, you get a feel for what you can put on e-bay and make a profit. Personally I use it to clean out my house or I'll swing by thrift shops or garage sales and find unusual items for dirt cheap. Things like first-edition books usually sell well. I've never tried any clothing.

lunasmom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Roxy_loves_CJ

Is the gallery pic the one that comes up on the search lists? I read the part about pricing for ads and stuff, but on average how much would you say it costs to sell on ebay? I am estimating $5 an ad. Is there also a good way to estimate shipping or do I need to just box it up and take it to the post office before I even try to sell it?
Yes! It's the mini picture the buyer gets to see before they click on the link.

I think its 35 cents per insertion, another 25 cents for the gallery fee, 5 cents if you want to offer a buy it now. Then there's a 5% fee off of whatever you make (so if it sells for $10, you pay another $0.50 to eBay for example).

sar

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Roxy_loves_CJ

Sar: If you really want that roxy bikini in small I will go and see what I can find. They had a bunch of them, but I figured medium was the most common size.
Oh that would be so lovely!
But plese don't go out of your way for me!

You've been given some excellent advice here! What I do for the postage is package it up ready to post (with post-its so I don't foget what it is!) and weigh it on my kitchen scales, then check for pricing on Royal Mail website of the brocure I got from them. I don't know if the US postal system does this, but it does make it very easy!

jellilorum

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I have been selling on ebay since July of 1999. I do this instead of working. Feel free to contact me with any questions you might have.

Also, check out Auctiva.com ... you can create really professional looking listings and add up to 11 (I believe that's the number) pictures to your auction, super sized and all FOR FREE!